Input on Freedom on the Sea out of San Juan PR

Ptroxx

On 2/15/2020 at 6:18 PM, John&LaLa said:

Put me in the love to visit, not a fan of departure port, camp. 

What were some of the things you did not like? When we sailed out of San Juan 2 years ago, we flew in the day of departure and went straight from the airport to the terminal so I don't have much experience with it. I would like to know your experiences as we will be there for two days prior in October. 

17 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

What were some of the things you did not like? When we sailed out of San Juan 2 years ago, we flew in the day of departure and went straight from the airport to the terminal so I don't have much experience with it. I would like to know your experiences as we will be there for two days prior in October. 

The OP requested we not post comments about stuff like that. 😉

On 2/10/2020 at 6:30 PM, Ontario cruise duo said:

Oh my, I don't think you are looking in the right spot if you can't find an ab&b now for sometime in November.  I booked my ab&b at this time last year for November, 2019.  They were plentiful and I have a neighbour who has just booked an ab& for this upcoming March, and she had sooo many to chose from.  I suggest you look again!

Took your advice.   I found a nice romantic private villa about 1 hour away in the mountains.  Should be an excellent trip.  Will stay there for 3 days prior to cruise.  Thanks for having me double check.  I know most stay very close to port or shore at least, but I figured we would get enough seeing the sea on the ship.  So "welcome to the jungle baby!" that's what I will tell the woman when she finds out.

13 hours ago, prindy24 said:

We're on the 4/12 sailing and getting back 4/19. We have a 2:30 flight home so can anyone give advice on how/where to store bags if we don't go to the airport straight from ship? I'd like to spend a little time in OSJ rather than sit at the airport for half the day.

Barrachina is a restaurant in OSJ I think on Fortaleza you can easily google.  For a small fee you can store luggage while you wander. Try their pina colada!

32 minutes ago, prindy24 said:

Thanks EeyoreRN, perfect solution and website says free storage for cruise passengers!

I have taken advantage of their service several times. They keep your things quite secure and the service is free. All they expect is a tip when you retrieve your bags.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2020 at 4:18 PM, John&LaLa said:

Put me in the love to visit, not a fan of departure port, camp. 

To each their own, I guess

I could not agree more.

Flights from LA to San Juan are horrible.  However, I do see that RCI keeps their fares for the cruise very enticing since they know the flights are horrible.  

6 minutes ago, KelSny1011 said:

I could not agree more.

Flights from LA to San Juan are horrible.  However, I do see that RCI keeps their fares for the cruise very enticing since they know the flights are horrible.  

I was very surprised that departing flights back to Calif were almost non existent. Just about all flights left while we are still on the ship heading back to SJ. AA had one flight but the price was more then the cruise. 

29 minutes ago, Desert Cruizers said:

I was very surprised that departing flights back to Calif were almost non existent. Just about all flights left while we are still on the ship heading back to SJ. AA had one flight but the price was more then the cruise. 

We chose to fly out the next day since the flights were all red eyes, and most had two layovers.

48 minutes ago, KelSny1011 said:

I could not agree more.

Yes!  Flights are high, but cruise fares are pretty low. Breaks about even with cruises out of Florida, but the itineraries are much better IMO, which makes it worth it for us.

We are in the NYC area, so we are lucky with lots of choices and times available. But for times that are reasonable and not red-eyes, the airfares are about double what we'd pay to get to any port in FL.

8 minutes ago, EeyoreRN said:

Yes!  Flights are high, but cruise fares are pretty low. Breaks about even with cruises out of Florida, but the itineraries are much better IMO, which makes it worth it for us.

We are in the NYC area, so we are lucky with lots of choices and times available. But for times that are reasonable and not red-eyes, the airfares are about double what we'd pay to get to any port in FL.

Yes.  Our friends were not liking the flight costs, priced out RCI out of Galveston, and when they did their grand total it still came out to the same price.  They ended up booking with us, and I agree that these areas are worth the flight  headaches :)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, KelSny1011 said:

We chose to fly out the next day since the flights were all red eyes, and most had two layovers.

Daughter & I thought about staying over but cost of hotel for the night was high so opted to do the Marriott Day Pass. My flight is at 1 AM but hers is at 2:45 AM on the 23rd. I found American but the cost was more then my cruise fare in a balcony. I have 2 stops over & back. on United. Going over, PSP ---> SFO ---> O Hare --.SJ and going back it is SJ--> EWR --. DEN --> PSP

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, trey420 said:

Took your advice.   I found a nice romantic private villa about 1 hour away in the mountains.  Should be an excellent trip.  Will stay there for 3 days prior to cruise.  Thanks for having me double check.  I know most stay very close to port or shore at least, but I figured we would get enough seeing the sea on the ship.  So "welcome to the jungle baby!" that's what I will tell the woman when she finds out.

Great!  Hope you enjoy your time in San Juan and all it has to offer.

I would visit there again any day, and again would chose an Airbnb over a hotel!

Wouldn't mind seeing some of the Airbnb your looking at.   

I was looking at the Dreams Miramar. And the price is right. And I can book anytime.

just waiting for flights   In 2 weeks I can book a flight on an app I use.  Just waiting to see what’s available.      

Edited by Ptroxx