Silhouette "edgification"?

39august

2 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

So much nicer then the equinox.  They couldn't finish and it was a great disappointment.  They need to bring it back to dry dock

We were just on the Equinox and one of the officers said that it is going back to dry dock to complete the renovations but the date is still TBD. They are considering the first part of 2022 or 2023 but nothing is definite yet. 

8 minutes ago, WestCoastFlyer said:

We were just on the Equinox and one of the officers said that it is going back to dry dock to complete the renovations but the date is still TBD. They are considering the first part of 2022 or 2023 but nothing is definite yet. 

We will be on the ship March 2021- will not be renovated by then.  Still love the ship. 

21 hours ago, CruiserMickey said:

Does anyone know what was or wasn’t done to refresh the regular veranda cabins? 

Also curious. Has there been any confirmation on this?   Have the impression that only suites and public areas may have received a make-over...

Regarding Silhouette’s Sky Lounge, I spoke with the engineering officer last night at an officer “greet” meeting on the current Silhouette sailing and asked if Celebrity had changed their plans for the new suites intending to use part of the existing Sky Lounge.  He said the recent dry dock was not long enough to do the renovation, but it is still in the plans for a future dry dock... time is TBD.

On 2/23/2020 at 4:12 AM, Gordoncruickshank said:

We are on the Edge at the moment travelling back to FLL and I can attest that the seating at the Edge sunset bar is the worst I have experienced on any ship.

have you reported it? 

problem is if nobody says anything on the ships, they assume all is fine.....  

They work on the basis that if nobody complains, everyone is happy and their choice was correct.

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Feb 14th ABC cruise, the first after the dry dock. The good news is that everything was done...no painting and finishing touches on this "maiden" voyage. Changes are mainly carpets, curtains, fabrics etc.

The changes are an EVOLUTION, not a REVOLUTION. Nevertheless, it is generally a good evolution.

It is a little inconsistent. Some areas are now in cool greys, such as staterooms, corridors, the entire lobby area. Others are still red/orange, such as the theatre, MDR, Ocean Cafe, Ensemble Lounge.

A matter of taste, but I think the original library was far more attractive with its walls of books, rather then the new one, with it's cheap looking smoky mirrors.

One of the biggest changes is the conversion of the card room and iLounge to cabins. However, if you were not familiar with the ship, the impact on the design of the soaring atrium is not a disaster. The iLounge was relocated near the shops.

I am ok with suite passengers getting extra amenities. No one used Michaels, so converting it to the Retreat lounge is no loss. Neither is losing the Solstice deck, or part of the MDR to Luminae. On the other hand, gating off access to the front part of Deck 15 is an issue. There is now no forward facing open deck for regular passengers. Worse then that, the only way to get from the port side of deck 15 to starboard and visa versa is to climb down all the steps to the Mast Grill/Mast bar, then up the other side!!

You need your suite ship card to open the front part of deck 15 and for the Solstice deck.

The Silhouette is still a magnificent, well planned ship, with a great crew. We had an amazing cruise.

BTW one of the highlights was Le Petite Chef! Was great fun, great food and very entertaining.

Edited by Seapoint
added comment

21 minutes ago, Seapoint said:

I am ok with suite passengers getting extra amenities. No one used Michaels, so converting it to the Retreat lounge is no loss.

um.. before the Revolution, Michaels club was the suite lounge. i used it everyday. Lara was a great host!

it's just a name change to standardize it across the fleet.

what happened with the atrium???

Edited by fstuff1

Can anyone confirm that storage cabinets are still in place over the bed in the Aqua cabins (which I believe are the same as pretty much any other veranda cabins)?  With the little collapsible cubes we bring along with us, we've found that storage area to be very useful and nicely out of the way in what otherwise would be useless space.

58 minutes ago, SunsetPoint said:

Can anyone confirm that storage cabinets are still in place over the bed in the Aqua cabins (which I believe are the same as pretty much any other veranda cabins)?  With the little collapsible cubes we bring along with us, we've found that storage area to be very useful and nicely out of the way in what otherwise would be useless space.

Yes, those storage cabinets over the bed are still there in Aqua.

On 2/22/2020 at 10:09 AM, 39august said:

Please tell us about the Silhoutte now that she has been redone. Did they do away with the giant rockers and the chairs that didn't fit under the desk in the suites? Did they chop up the Sky Lounge?  IS there a Retreat with any water feature or bar?  Is the library still intact? How is the Craft Social? Inquiring minds want to know. 

Sky lounge is unchanged.  Library looks intact, those darned hanging eggs in the Hideaway have been replaced with leatherlike roundish chairs, otherwise unchanged.  Craft Social has an impressive beer menu, and a moderate wine menu.   Our OV cabin looked completely unchanged except for carpet and the new electronic door lock.   Alas, suites are out of my budget so can't speak to that.  MDR looks unchanged, same semicircular chairs as the last time we were on her that required cushions on your back to achieve even a semblance of comfort.  The meeting place chairs and tables are new and upgraded - rather comfortable.  Lawn Club grill was fantastic, as was Sushi on 5.  MDR menu is same old same old - I don't think it's been updated in all the years I've been on Celebrity - still, quite good overall.   Same great Celebrity staff, although I think the service suffered by the number of folks cleaning - pulled some of the others off to do cleaning duty, I think.  There was always someone cleaning everywhere (probably a good thing at this point)

1 hour ago, SunsetPoint said:

In our OV, that was pretty much ALL the storage - that plus three half drawers in the dresser, plus the closet for hanging - no cupboards over it or in it.

Another change was to the Lawn Club and Sunset Bar area. They added a big screen to the lawn area between the funnels, which showed soccer the whole cruise. I never saw anyone watching it. I also never saw anyone using the private cabanas. Surprisingly, I did not see them doing a movie under the stars on the grass at night.They could make it a fun event with wine, picnic, blankets  etc.

The bocce grass areas on the port and starboard sides of the aft funnel  have now become shaded seating areas, providing attractive extra seating areas with plantings for the Sunset bar. I saw quite a few people using this area, which previously was not utilized. A good addition.

Was on the Edge for a week, then the Silhouette for 12 days...both suites. I thought the Edge suite experience was far superior to the Silhouette’s revolutionized attempt at suite amenity areas. The Retreat Lounge on Silly is the old Michaels Club. On the Edge, it’s as wide as the ship with a shaded outdoor area, lots of comfy seating and couches, floor to ceiling windows on the sea, Bloody Mary bar every morning, a wine refrigerator, beer available in the refrig, private restrooms. On the Silhouette, the deck 15 area is very windy with no shade.. Deck 16 was up a flight of stairs and had some shade at the smallish bar and on the side and eating area (which had uncomfortable cushions on a curving bench for lunch patrons. On the Edge, the bar also had a small number of tables in a cafe type area. Also a pool besides the hot tub. If you’re gonna spring for a suite, do it on the Edge or Apex. Might not mean that much on the S class...except for the delicious Luminae...but you can buy a specialty restaurant package for less! I know the S class has to work with what is already built into the ship design so it was hard to match the Edge class.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2020 at 2:07 PM, CruiserMickey said:

Does anyone know what was or wasn’t done to refresh the regular veranda cabins? 

The regular veranda cabins have fresh carpeting and bedding.  We found the new mattress and the feather pillows in Concierge Class to be very comfortable.  There are also new curtains that look kind of cheap but do the job.  Otherwise, there were no changes to the furniture or the bathroom.  (Was kind of hoping they would move the TV to face directly across from the bed but I realize that would have been a huge ask.)  

Edited by MarkWiltonM
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, MarkWiltonM said:

The regular veranda cabins have fresh carpeting and bedding.  We found the new mattress and the feather pillows in Concierge Class to be very comfortable.  There are also new curtains that look kind of cheap but do the job.  Otherwise, there were no changes to the furniture or the bathroom.  (Was kind of hoping they would move the TV to face directly across from the bed but I realize that would have been a huge ask.)  

Thanks for the update!