Port Everglades Disembarkation & FLL Airport Transfer

sensfantoronto

We are sailing aboard Equinox out of Port Everglades tomorrow, returning next Saturday & we have prepaid celebrity for our transfers to & from the airport (Celebrity arranged the flights).

Our return flight is not until 4:05PM, and I am curious as to when we will be transferred to the airport. The ship will arrive back in Ft. Lauderdale for 7AM, on the Saturday & I am worried they will transfer us to the airport too early. You generally can only check-in & go through security at airports 3 hours max before your flight time. If we're too early we'd get stuck waiting pre-security which would not be great.

Does anyone have any insights as to how X deals with such an issue?

I don't remember how Celebrity handles disembarking and we don't use cruise line transfers in any case.  We came off a Holland America ship last Sunday and like you, our flight to Toronto didn't leave until 4:05 pm.  We always take our own bags off ship and HAL's latest disembarkation time was 10:15 am.  We took a cab to the airport which was $20 US and had to wait to checkin at 1pm.  Be prepared - the airport is a zoo with no room for passengers to sit, lots were camped out on the floor waiting for their time to check in for their flights.  Once checked in and through security we had another 3 hours to enjoy all the other passengers camped out at the gates - extremely crowded once again.  They are apparently expanding to add seating, or so the signs said - it was pretty bad.

Our flight was about an hour late leaving due to a mechanical issue discovered after we left the gate but thankfully it was resolved and we did leave.  The good news was that the airport was not crowded either due to the later arrival or Corona virus taking a toll on flight schedules and we made it through immigration and had our one checked bag in record time.

Enjoy your cruise - we wish we were back there given the snow this week!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sensfantoronto said:

We are sailing aboard Equinox out of Port Everglades tomorrow, returning next Saturday & we have prepaid celebrity for our transfers to & from the airport (Celebrity arranged the flights).

Our return flight is not until 4:05PM, and I am curious as to when we will be transferred to the airport. The ship will arrive back in Ft. Lauderdale for 7AM, on the Saturday & I am worried they will transfer us to the airport too early. You generally can only check-in & go through security at airports 3 hours max before your flight time. If we're too early we'd get stuck waiting pre-security which would not be great.

Does anyone have any insights as to how X deals with such an issue?

Celebrity will suggest a meeting time in the Theater based on what time your flight departs.  Last week, there were 4 departure times.  The last departure group for transportation was  a 9:05 am meeting in the Theater.  

You wait until your number is called in the Theater and we were given a special exit off the ship.  After picking up your baggage, you head to the bus area.  When the bus fills up, you leave to the airport.

• Like 1

An option might be the Extend Your Stay option.    You will be able to stay aboard until 1 1/2 prior to the next departure and if you have a transfer they will arrange transfer for you. 

Personally I would cancel the transfer and just use an Uber.   Usually at least 1/2  the cost of celebrity transfer unless it is part of you package.

• Like 1

Another option would be to take a Celebrity excursion in Fort Lauderdale. They usually include transportation at the end of the tour directly to the airport.  Your luggage is stored on your tour bus until you get to the airport.

Hi! YYZ based here.

Yeah there's not much to do at at FLL, especially if you're flying Air Canada. I usually get the latest disembarkation and take my time slowly to get my backs and to the airport.

As other have said, I would also recommend a Celebrity shore excursion as they drop you off at the airport, but if you're done all the excursion, you can also rent a car and just drive around the Fort Lauderdale area.

I think Celebrity now also offers guests to extend the stay till like lunch time for extra fee.

Since you already paid for the transfer, I don't think there's much you can do now. There are sitting area in the airport, but usually fills up pretty quick.

Note, the 3hr hours rules depends on the airline. It is very common in Europe and Asia, but North American airlines have different policies. Each airline and location is different. I've been able to check my bags with AA 5hrs early and 4+ hr early with Delta.

For future reference, I would not recommend using their transfer (unless doing an excursion) at Port Everglades as the airport is so close. Taxi and Uber/Lyft is way more convenient.

Edited by GateGuardian

Given your situation I also would consider the recommendation by "candidate."  While we haven't done one, I remember Celebrity offering shore excursions on disembarkation day for flights after a certain time which deliver you to the airport.   Your other option would be to cancel the transfer and rent a car for the day.

I'd cancel the transfer and take one of those excursions that drops you at the airport.  By then the rush to depart will be pretty much over.  I don't understand why people book Celebrity transfers in Fort Lauderdale.  The airport is practically next door to the port.  And that airport is hell on the weekends when lots of ships come in.  Unless you arrive with a boarding pass and have access to an executive lounge of some sort, you are in for a nasty time.