Ports closed to cruise ships in the Middle East

baytraller

Thanks Ann. The writing was on the wall.

At least we have not yet left home and have a day or so to try and sort out hotel and flight reservations.

Now we would really like an official word on our B2B 28 March cruise.

Just now, Baynanno1 said:

Thanks Ann. The writing was on the wall.

At least we have not yet left home and have a day or so to try and sort out hotel and flight reservations.

Now we would really like an official word on our B2B 28 March cruise.

I hope they are more decisive on that one quickly.  I fear though the writing is also well scribbled up on that wall for it as well.  Good luck! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, uktog said:

I hope they are more decisive on that one quickly.  I fear though the writing is also well scribbled up on that wall for it as well.  Good luck! 

I think you are quite right there Ann. Thank you.

I guess they are rolling out notices cruise by cruise . . . .

Pursuit on 23 March should be o.k.

Journey on 24 March from Sydney probably needs a different end port.

I would imagine Dubai will still be a "no go" for Quest on 28 March and if it does go ahead, I can't see anyone being allowed off the ship in Eilat, given their current quarantine provisions.

I posted on the 28 March roll call,  but for those here, our travel agent passed on another document from Azamara saying the fate of this cruise will be announced on March 16. It’s very difficult knowing what to do with flights under these circumstances with the second cruise not definite. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Baynanno1 said:

I think you are quite right there Ann. Thank you.

I guess they are rolling out notices cruise by cruise . . . .

Pursuit on 23 March should be o.k.

Journey on 24 March from Sydney probably needs a different end port.

I would imagine Dubai will still be a "no go" for Quest on 28 March and if it does go ahead, I can't see anyone being allowed off the ship in Eilat, given their current quarantine provisions.

I have just read that Israel will impose a 14 day quarantine on anyone entering the country, so no ships will be able to go there. I do hope you hear very soon about 28th March cruise, it looks very unlikely to go ahead at this time. It is the not knowing, one way or the other which is the hardest thing, although we are very disappointed that our cruise has been cancelled, it is a relief to finally know!

• Like 2

Currently on the Quest. Cruise will end in Muscat on March 13. Passengers advised to fly directly home anytime after 2 on the 13th or the 14th. Will now be given a 75 pct future cruise credit plus up to $500 for airfare change cost. People with beverage packages and full cruise wifi will be given a 4 day credit as cruise was originally ending on the 17th.

Mood on the ship is fabulous thanks to a wonderful crew, captain Davidson and cruise director Steve and staff. My first Azamara cruise won’t be my last.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Chilcotin said:

Currently on the Quest. Cruise will end in Muscat on March 13. Passengers advised to fly directly home anytime after 2 on the 13th or the 14th. Will now be given a 75 pct future cruise credit plus up to $500 for airfare change cost. People with beverage packages and full cruise wifi will be given a 4 day credit as cruise was originally ending on the 17th.

Mood on the ship is fabulous thanks to a wonderful crew, captain Davidson and cruise director Steve and staff. My first Azamara cruise won’t be my last.

Captain Magnus is brilliant- his voice is so calming as well. Hope everyone can get flight arrangements to work. Good luck!

• Like 1

Also on the current Quest cruise.   Absolutely no complaints about the way things have been handled here on the ship.  The entire staff have been fabulous during this whole trial, and although the last days have been stressful, everything possible has been done to assist with required changes to travel etc and to keep the guests happy and entertained on all these sea days.  I really feel for the staff a lot of whom have no idea what will be happening with the next - and possible further cruises - cancelled.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, VirginiaH said:

Also on the current Quest cruise.   Absolutely no complaints about the way things have been handled here on the ship.  The entire staff have been fabulous during this whole trial, and although the last days have been stressful, everything possible has been done to assist with required changes to travel etc and to keep the guests happy and entertained on all these sea days.  I really feel for the staff a lot of whom have no idea what will be happening with the next - and possible further cruises - cancelled.  

And my thoughts are also with staff stuck at home waiting to sign on and facing financial loss if they cannot.  They often have large extended families depending on them.  I hope the cruise lines see these people right as well as looking after their guests most of whom are better placed to take a financial hit

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I am on the March 28th Quest cruise from Dubai to Athens.  Last week my TA was told by Azamara that we would have a decision on the fate of our cruise on March 9th.  That didn't happen.  Azamara just cancelled the March 17th cruise that was Dubai round-trip.  Last week Celebrity cancelled its April 1st Dubai to Athens cruise.  Now Azamara says that we won't have a decision on our March 28th cruise until March 16th.  I really wish we would find out now so we can begin making new travel arrangements.  It is very hard on the B2B people booked on the March 17th cruise if we don't hear anything until March 16th.  It sounds like there are a lot of B2B cruisers that are in a very difficult position.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Twiga said:

I am on the March 28th Quest cruise from Dubai to Athens.  Last week my TA was told by Azamara that we would have a decision on the fate of our cruise on March 9th.  That didn't happen.  Azamara just cancelled the March 17th cruise that was Dubai round-trip.  Last week Celebrity cancelled its April 1st Dubai to Athens cruise.  Now Azamara says that we won't have a decision on our March 28th cruise until March 16th.  I really wish we would find out now so we can begin making new travel arrangements.  It is very hard on the B2B people booked on the March 17th cruise if we don't hear anything until March 16th.  It sounds like there are a lot of B2B cruisers that are in a very difficult position.

I have a friend on the current Quest cruise that’s being shortened and finishing in Muscat who was doing a b2b with the 17th March cruise.  She now needs to get off in Muscat and fly home to Australia. And she is no youngster either.  Very stressful.

Phil

• Like 1

4 hours ago, uktog said:

And my thoughts are also with staff stuck at home waiting to sign on and facing financial loss if they cannot.  They often have large extended families depending on them.  I hope the cruise lines see these people right as well as looking after their guests most of whom are better placed to take a financial hit

Absolutely!  Coupled with the fact that they have had many sea days, probably more to get back to Europe and most likely heightened sanitation the whole time.  

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Like 2

We are also on the same Dubai to Athens cruise on March 28th and hope that Azamara will make the decision sooner than March 16th regarding this cruise.   Since the ship is due to dock in Muscat, Oman on the current cruise, it seems highly unlikely that we would board in Dubai if the March 28th cruise actually goes which means it would be a five hour drive to Muscat just to board the ship!   Israel is imposing a 14 day quarantine and it may be that Jordan and Egypt may follow suit at some point.   I think this cruise is a no-go and we need to make travel changes and cancellations for hotels and flights ASAP.    Please Azamara, make the decision and let us know this week.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, seaventuregal said:

We are also on the same Dubai to Athens cruise on March 28th and hope that Azamara will make the decision sooner than March 16th regarding this cruise.   Since the ship is due to dock in Muscat, Oman on the current cruise, it seems highly unlikely that we would board in Dubai if the March 28th cruise actually goes which means it would be a five hour drive to Muscat just to board the ship!   Israel is imposing a 14 day quarantine and it may be that Jordan and Egypt may follow suit at some point.   I think this cruise is a no-go and we need to make travel changes and cancellations for hotels and flights ASAP.    Please Azamara, make the decision and let us know this week.

I am following along, and have passed the message along re 3/28 voyage.

• Like 1

Thank you so much, Bonnie!  I really appreciate all that you have been doing to help us!  One more thought------if Azamara does not make a decision on the March 28th cruise until March 16th, that will be AFTER the B2B people on the March 17th cruise would have left home for their flights to Dubai.  How can they change their flights now if they don't know if the March 28th cruise will be cancelled or if it will depart from a different port?  As others have said, it is unlikely that Jordan or Egypt will let us in now that Israel says it will not.  That means no stops, except perhaps Salalah.  Please just cancel the cruise now.  We will be very disappointed as this was a fabulous itinerary, but that is the best course of action at this time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Twiga said:

Thank you so much, Bonnie!  I really appreciate all that you have been doing to help us!  One more thought------if Azamara does not make a decision on the March 28th cruise until March 16th, that will be AFTER the B2B people on the March 17th cruise would have left home for their flights to Dubai.  How can they change their flights now if they don't know if the March 28th cruise will be cancelled or if it will depart from a different port?  As others have said, it is unlikely that Jordan or Egypt will let us in now that Israel says it will not.  That means no stops, except perhaps Salalah.  Please just cancel the cruise now.  We will be very disappointed as this was a fabulous itinerary, but that is the best course of action at this time.

If I was a betting man I'd say your cruise will be cancelled, the ship will sail empty of guests to Europe and Azamara operations along with a few other lines suspended.  There are some big decisions being made. 

Phil 

• Like 3

I don't mean to come across as ungrateful or petty (and this is not directed at you Bonnie other than to collect one more question), but I am not overly impressed by the cruise credit being offered at this late date given that I am due to fly out in a few days. 

If this belongs on a different thread, forgive me, but I see Bonnie is taking questions and would like to add mine.

My question to put forward is why a 25% cruise credit was deemed appropriate for the cancellation of the March 17th sailing?  I believe I read that Regent affected passengers were offered 25-50% cruise credit based on their sailing date -- I assume the closer to sailing date the more they received.  I recognize this is not the same company, but those just about to sail have more financial impacts than those with dates farther away.

I think most of us expected/hoped to go this week, and had our hotel and excursions booked already. I just want to put it out there, that for those of us who received official notice today of the March 17th cancellation we are 7 days away from our sail date yet only a few days away from our planned flights to Dubai.  I'm not sure about others (so I will use myself as example), but I did call the airline to see about paying a change fee for my tickets Vancouver-Dubai and my flight has tripled in price since I booked.  $3500 per person x 3 persons for my family to return home early (or only go as far as LHR) is just not do-able. It is spring break and my flight is 4 days away... I'm not sure there is a more expensive time for me to try and buy airfare. I can't afford to change my flight given that cost.  So now I have 11 more expensive nights somewhere because I can't afford to get home any sooner.  Staying is going to cost me dearly, but will be less than changing my flights. And since I will be taking my flight, I will not qualify for that change fee $ from Azamara either.

The cruise lines are not the only ones hemorrhaging money because of this cancellation. 

Thanks for your help during this stressful time. 

We are in the same situation and flying from Toronto on Sunday. I am doing my best to book discounted hotels online and there are some good deals. We are renting a car because it's about $200 Cdn for the whole time. Trying to make the best of a bad situation but I agree with you about the 25%. It's not enough considering we already were packing suitcases. Hopefully UAE doesn't go on lockdown like Italy.

4 hours ago, BBMacLaird said:

I am following along, and have passed the message along re 3/28 voyage.

Thank you Bonnie.

We are due to leave home in 3 days, on Saturday (a six hour trip to Sydney) for an overnight stay before flying out on Sunday 15 March for Dubai, so it would be handy for us also to know the fate of our B2B 28 March cruise.

11 hours ago, Lindy028 said:

I have just read that Israel will impose a 14 day quarantine on anyone entering the country, so no ships will be able to go there. I do hope you hear very soon about 28th March cruise, it looks very unlikely to go ahead at this time. It is the not knowing, one way or the other which is the hardest thing, although we are very disappointed that our cruise has been cancelled, it is a relief to finally know!

Hence this part of my post "I can't see anyone being allowed off the ship in Eilat, given their current quarantine provisions."

Apparently we will know on Monday at the latest about the 28 March cruise. There are quite a few booked B2B, so knowing before being due to leave home for the cancelled cruise would be helpful to say the least.

Agree, not knowing, although the writing appears well and truly on the wall is difficult and quite stressful. Knowing relieves that stress to a considerable extent.

With the 3/17 cruise being cancelled in the wee hours this morning (Calif time), that gave us no reasonable option but to cancel our 3/28 cruise. Our air was via Choice Air and was a fully refundable fare, so we get all that back, no problem. For our cancelling, we get 100% future cruise credit good thru 2021. We'll find something else of interest once things all settle down later this year.

A poster on the 3/17 thread linked a NYTimes article stating that Jordan is not allowing ships in that come from Egypt. We know Eilat is out, and now Aqaba. The ship (if there is a cruise) will probably leave from Muscat, as that is where they are disembarking current Quest passengers, per a CC'er onboard.

7 hours ago, Epicureangirl said:

I don't mean to come across as ungrateful or petty (and this is not directed at you Bonnie other than to collect one more question), but I am not overly impressed by the cruise credit being offered at this late date given that I am due to fly out in a few days. 

If this belongs on a different thread, forgive me, but I see Bonnie is taking questions and would like to add mine.

My question to put forward is why a 25% cruise credit was deemed appropriate for the cancellation of the March 17th sailing?  I believe I read that Regent affected passengers were offered 25-50% cruise credit based on their sailing date -- I assume the closer to sailing date the more they received.  I recognize this is not the same company, but those just about to sail have more financial impacts than those with dates farther away.

I think most of us expected/hoped to go this week, and had our hotel and excursions booked already. I just want to put it out there, that for those of us who received official notice today of the March 17th cancellation we are 7 days away from our sail date yet only a few days away from our planned flights to Dubai.  I'm not sure about others (so I will use myself as example), but I did call the airline to see about paying a change fee for my tickets Vancouver-Dubai and my flight has tripled in price since I booked.  $3500 per person x 3 persons for my family to return home early (or only go as far as LHR) is just not do-able. It is spring break and my flight is 4 days away... I'm not sure there is a more expensive time for me to try and buy airfare. I can't afford to change my flight given that cost.  So now I have 11 more expensive nights somewhere because I can't afford to get home any sooner.  Staying is going to cost me dearly, but will be less than changing my flights. And since I will be taking my flight, I will not qualify for that change fee $ from Azamara either.

The cruise lines are not the only ones hemorrhaging money because of this cancellation. 

Thanks for your help during this stressful time. 

I am in 100% agreement with you on your comment.

1) Last March we took 3 B2B from NZ to Japan. The first cruise missed 2 ports due to rough seas. We received a credit worth about 25% for a future cruise sailing. The current cruise customers are getting 75% for missing many stops. We won’t get any stops.

2) We have already flown part way to Dubai as part of our trip so where do we go from here. Our flight was $11,000. All hotels wee prepaid and most tours prepaid. We are out thousands.

3) We made it to Discover plus status and if Azamara does not better this offer, we will move our business to Oceania.

Azamara, we have seen you do better, so do better! It takes years to build loyalty but one stupid move to lose it. This offer is stupid and short sighted.

7 hours ago, Epicureangirl said:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Chilcotin said:

Chilcotin, could you please help a couple of fellow Canadians?

We were on the Feb 10th cruise out of Cape Town before your cruise. We were scheduled to jump back on the ship in Dubai. That cruise was cancelled yesterday. Phillip, the Hotel Director, offered to store one of our suitcases onboard the ship for the 26 days we were off on our own. Your ship is now destined to disembark in Muscat. We will be in Dubai as originally planned for 2 days while our suitcase and the ship you are on will be in Muscat. Could you relay a message to Phillip and ask him to contact us at SluyterCapital at G mail dot com? The head office is not answering our email pleas as they are dealing with a deluge of other matters. Phillip and direct communication may help arrange for our suitcase to find its way home (someday). Are you able to help? You can email me as well.

Thanks, Paul & Liette - Ottawa, Canada

26 minutes ago, MakingUpForLostTime said:

I am in 100% agreement with you on your comment.

1) Last March we took 3 B2B from NZ to Japan. The first cruise missed 2 ports due to rough seas. We received a credit worth about 25% for a future cruise sailing. The current cruise customers are getting 75% for missing many stops. We won’t get any stops.

2) We have already flown part way to Dubai as part of our trip so where do we go from here. Our flight was $11,000. All hotels wee prepaid and most tours prepaid. We are out thousands.

3) We made it to Discover plus status and if Azamara does not better this offer, we will move our business to Oceania.

Azamara, we have seen you do better, so do better! It takes years to build loyalty but one stupid move to lose it. This offer is stupid and short sighted.

Thank you -- and I agree 100% with you too.  

I am not a loyal Azamara cruiser, instead we have a been mostly sailing HAL and were looking to upgrade our experience, hoping to find a different cruise line to become 'our' line. It does take a lot of time and money to gain status with a cruise line, and is hard to move on and start from the bottom (without any perks!).  Still, we have decades of cruising years ahead of us, so now is the time to make the move. We also considered Oceania, but, chose to try Azamara for this great itinerary and my expectations of the friendly onboard experience. We were SO looking forward to this cruise (weren't we all?!) and I spent a lot of time on these forums pouring over all the details and opinions before booking.  In no way is Azamara to blame for needing to cancel, but it is wholly in their control to make it right with the passengers who have booked with them.  I would like to be wowed by how they handle this situation so that I undoubtedly book again with them again (and again, and again...).

23 minutes ago, Epicureangirl said:

Thank you -- and I agree 100% with you too.  

I am not a loyal Azamara cruiser, instead we have a been mostly sailing HAL and were looking to upgrade our experience, hoping to find a different cruise line to become 'our' line. It does take a lot of time and money to gain status with a cruise line, and is hard to move on and start from the bottom (without any perks!).  Still, we have decades of cruising years ahead of us, so now is the time to make the move. We also considered Oceania, but, chose to try Azamara for this great itinerary and my expectations of the friendly onboard experience. We were SO looking forward to this cruise (weren't we all?!) and I spent a lot of time on these forums pouring over all the details and opinions before booking.  In no way is Azamara to blame for needing to cancel, but it is wholly in their control to make it right with the passengers who have booked with them.  I would like to be wowed by how they handle this situation so that I undoubtedly book again with them again (and again, and again...).

Last March, the third cruise (of the 3 B2B’s) lost all cooling after we left Singapore. Two days just north of the equator with the sun directly overhead. We received 50% credit off that cruise direct reimbursement to our credit card. It was not a future cruise credit. We were Wowed! The onboard staff go beyond what is expected and push to Wow us which they indeed did. That was $5,000 in my account for two days of no a/c. The captain said that it was what we as customers expect from Azamara. To step up and do better. It seems the head office is out of touch with their approach. I believe they could come back and do better especially if more people push for it. I believe they do read these boards to feel the pulse.

• Like 2