Yikes! Over age 70 passengers need doctor’s note (Merged threads)

helen haywood

I expect the future question will be what happens if one uses the future cruise credit to make a final cruise payment but they  are denied boarding due to lack of a med  letter ( if still req) or elev temp or a suspicious cough? Do they get a refund, full or partial or yet another future cruise credit?  Hope we can use ours in early 2021 and be done with it all!

How current does the  dr's  letter have to  be vis a vis final payment date  and cruise date?

13 hours ago, BrynMawrPA said:

My understanding is that your credit card refunds only consists of those from airfares via Celebrity, excursions, etc. not the cruise fare or port fees and taxes.

Please note that " all Cruise with Confidence FCC must be redeemed on sailings departing on-or-before December 31, 2021. You will pay the difference if the new cruise fare is more than the FCC. If lower, the new cruise fare will be covered in full but any remaining Future Cruise Credit will be issued "30 days after the sailing and must be used within 6 months." For those who have a large FCC, this 30 days limitation needs to be considered in planning future cruises.

Best wishes to all.

We cancelled under an earlier plan..Cruise With Confidence,,

.Our paperwork says the credit card refund will be 50% of the cruise fare PLUS  port fes and taxes,  remainder is 50% of fare in fcc  Not yet received so time will tell.  The  pre paid excursions and dining  already  went back on our credit card

Edited by hcat

10 minutes ago, hcat said:

We cancelled under an earlier plan..Cruise With Confidence,,

.Our paperwork says the credit card refund will be 50% of the cruise fare PLUS  port fes and taxes,  remainder is 50% of fare in fcc  Not yet received so time will tell.  The  pre paid excursions and dining  already  went back on our credit card

The FCC is based on the cancellation fee. I think that if the fee is 50% at the time of the cancellation, the FCC will be 50% of the fare. If it is 100% (i.e. 48 hours before departure), then it will be 100% of the fare.  Thanks for letting me know how they handle the port fee and taxes. We had never done it and will find out when we cancel our cruise next week. Thanks for the information.

I'm sailing in September from Venice and am 70 and in good health. Didn't receive any notice from celebrity but happened to see the letter on a travel agent site. It appears it might be for the near term. Personally I don't have an issue with it.  Did a Celebrity trip a few years ago and we didn't make it around Tierra del Fuego as someone was having a cardiac issue so the ship redirected to a port. The right decision however I heard afterwards the individual was having constant issues before he started the cruise and should never have sailed.  The most ridiculous part is you could complete the letter yourself and sign it as there seems to be no proof of a medical license required. Perhaps RCLs insurance provider want this to CYA? 

12 minutes ago, BrynMawrPA said:

The FCC is based on the cancellation fee. I think that if the fee is 50% at the time of the cancellation, the FCC will be 50% of the fare. If it is 100% (i.e. 48 hours before departure), then it will be 100% of the fare.  Thanks for letting me know how they handle the port fee and taxes. We had never done it and will find out when we cancel our cruise next week. Thanks for the information.

My TA passed on an email from X 10 minutes ago. X has cancelled our next week cruise and will automatically issue a FCC equal to 125% of our fare for use before 12/31/2021 to book future cruises. Our FCC should include port fee and taxes since X did not mention them separately. Alternatively, we can request 100% cash refund. We are very happy since our next week cruise is a very expensive once-in-a-life-time one. We thank X for the big bonus. Best wishes to you all.

13 hours ago, Mr&MrsBee said:

Possible situation:  Dr does not sign off. Cruise is paid.  X  denies boarding.  Since you not approved to sail again, what good is a FCC ?  X has your $ but you cannot sail.

This change was put together by the Cruise Line International Association (CLIA). that includes Carnival, RCCL, Princess, NCL,  and just about every cruise line as a member. They put this proposal together, got it approved by the government, and have begun implementing it.  It is very unfair and discriminatory to those over 70 who may have difficulty convincing their doctor to put his/her signature on a document,  fearing potential liability. This is age discrimination, as it is not required of those 69 or under. It makes an assumption about age and the ability to cruise. To my knowledge, when the H1N1 (Swine Flu) in 2009 was primarily affecting those in their youth, and the elderly folks were not really affected, no such requirement was implemented for the young.  Now we are hit with, at best, a credit with the understanding that as of right now the rule going forward is that they will not board you without a doctor's note,. They will not tell you if or when they may change this rule in either direction, but will give you a credit that has an expiration date on it. So, you may never be able to use the credit before it expires. It can save them millions of dollars. If they refuse us entry then they should provide a  refund without further delay. Taking our money and setting a path where we may never be able to to cruise and can never get reimbursed is borderline theft. Kelly Craighead is the CEO of CLIA. Their website is www.cruising.org. I recommend all writing her and expressing your concern. Also contavty your state representative as it appears we are not being supported today.

• Like 1

we cancelled our 20th March cruise when we got the email. Our travel agent is in the process of doing it and said we would get a credit . Had to cancel our airfare to Sydney and Air NZ not refunding that.

6 hours ago, garybraun said:

Over 70 also and in pretty good shape, Celebrity wants me to get a doctors note to allow me to board after I paid them for my Cruise. Well what about the 350-400 morbidly obese person that can hardly walk. Are they more fir to cruise than I. Put a scale atr the gang plank and start doing some testing.

This is age discrimination.  I don't believe it will hold up.

• Like 3

New Zealand has just announced a ban on cruise ships.  I have just received an email from Celebrity.  The Solstice is currently on a cruise around NZ before finishing in Sydney.  We are due to join its next cruise out of Sydney and the email from Celebrity says they are still sailing as planned.  Celebrity is obviously out of touch with what is happening around the world with cruise line suspensions.  Time for a wake-up call!

This is the New Zealand announcement:

KEY POINTS

• Effective from midnight Sunday, all travellers, except for those coming from the Pacific islands, will have to self-isolate for 14 days on their arrival to New Zealand
• The PM says the rules are the strictest in the world
• She told New Zealanders not to travel overseas if they don't have to and issued stark advice: no hugs, hongi or handshakes
• All cruise ships have been asked to not come to NZ until June 30
• There will also be further announcements on mass gatherings

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has announced all travellers will have to self-isolate on their arrival to New Zealand, apart from those coming from the Pacific Islands.

She said the measures - in effect as of midnight Sunday - include New Zealanders.

The restrictions will be reviewed in 16 days and there will be more advice for self-isolation next week. There were already clear guidelines for employers on sick pay and working-from-home advice.

It will be the strictest border restriction rules in the world, Arden said.

22 hours ago, MartiniBarhooked said:

Just sign you doctors name or put any signature on it.    Here you go.  The people that are worried about this one are the ones who when asked for the email by everyone in the world they give them their real email or real phone number.  Just google search doctor signature there are 100's to choose from.  You think they will call the office and if they do they will really get someone to answer the phone in the office.

download.jpeg

Just too funny. Needed a good laugh. Hope, if we ever get to sail again, you are on our cruise.

21 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

This not fit to cruise thing is only temporary while corona is active. The FCCs are good until the end of 2021 are they not?

Who is to say it is temporary? The cruise line is not saying that. They are only saying they have changed their policy after they took your money, won't return it, and can change their policy at any time. That means they can keep the money from those who have booked that, may, for existence, be later refused boarding because they are handicapped, too fat or morbidly obese (by their definition), or fail some other new qualifier. They also did not do this with the H1N1 in 2009 when it was targeting the young. 

13 hours ago, Snickersbockerglory said:

I'm really shocked at some of the opinions expressed on this thread!

Cruise lines have opted to ask for medical notes not because they want to voluntarily bar the over 70s (why would they when that demographic make up a large section of their market) but because there are real concerns that if you are stuck on a ship and get sick with something like coronavirus, your odds for recovering are shortened. Those who are under 70 and have chronic illness are in the same boat (no pun intended).

It's not age discrimination, it's the simple fact that as you get older your immune system weakens.  If you got seriously ill with pneumonia on a ship you would not only create difficulties for the crew trying to manoeuvre the ship to somewhere you could get health care but also inconvenience the other thousands of passengers on board potentially. 

Also, to those having a go at celebrity for the policy, the situation is very rapidly changing day by day, and I very much doubt that they have had time to work out all the ins and outs, they are merely trying to respond to government policy, port closures and keeping passengers safe. No one else knows how long this virus is going to last so why would celebrity?  They're not out to get you personally and yet the tone of some of these posts feels like you're taking a global health crisis as a personal affront. 

The travel industry will have taken a huge hit this year. This time next year I would be surprised if the industry looked the same, I would imagine many companies may go bust or have to substantially change to survive this crisis. 

Given the desperation of Italy and other countries who are struggling to contain the virus and to cope with treating those infected this thread is in very poor taste. I say that as someone for whom the cruise I had booked was a once in a lifetime family cruise to celebrate my 40th birthday, with 4 generations. But the health of my grandmother and parents (and others who may become ill) comes above a holiday. Holidays and money come and go. 

Okay then. The CLIA/cruise lines have changed their policy to refuse passage to a group of people, some of whom will never be able to use a credit,  then, return their money. Otherwise, it is theft. Would you allow this with any other purchase you make. They take the money and do not provide the goods or service after the fact because they changed their policy?  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TYinPalmSprings said:

Okay then. The CLIA/cruise lines have changed their policy to refuse passage to a group of people, some of whom will never be able to use a credit,  then, return their money. Otherwise, it is theft. Would you allow this with any other purchase you make. They take the money and do not provide the goods or service after the fact because they changed their policy?  

I'm really confused because the travel advisory I see says it is a full refund? 

23 hours ago, LMaraist said:
This was on our travel agent's web site but I could not find it on Celebrity’s web site.  This was listed under the provisions being made by Celebrity.  It does not indicate that you will be refunded money but just will receive credit,

If it is decided that we must unfortunately deny you boarding, you'll receive
a 100% Future Cruise Credit for your cruise fare paid, and any pre-cruise Celebrity
purchases and taxes and fees will be refunded to your original form of payment

if  it is a temp health issue,....fever, cough, flu etc that person could  use the FCC eventually. What happens to travel companion(s) under same booking? Do they get cancelled too or do they expect them to  sail alone?

IF they keep the dr's note condition in place, some might never be deemed  healthy enough to cruise again.   That  circumstance would have to be addressed, and if it is a large group being barred,  they could have more clout to resolve.  Has not come to this yet and it never does. ...Hope we are healthy and can get any neded letter for Jan 2020, when we  hope to use our fcc credit.. and get it over with!

Although I have great sympathy for the travel industry and Celebrity I am not comfortable with a credit rather than a cash refund.  Those of us who are in our 70"s and even younger individuals do not know what health or other family problems or work commitments may prevent us from taking a cruise before the end of 2021.  There is no provision for this scenario.  This is not a transferable credit nor an open ended date credit so that in the event of unforeseen problems you could at least transfer the credit to a family or friend.  The end date and the fact that you cannot transfer the credits in my opinion is too restrictive.  At least with travel insurance if you got sick you would have some recourse but I doubt this would cover credits although I have no basis in fact for this.  Although we would all like to think that all will be well in our lives there is no guarantee of that and that is what a credit assumes.  

Edited by LMaraist
spelling error
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, TYinPalmSprings said:

This change was put together by the Cruise Line International Association (CLIA). that includes Carnival, RCCL, Princess, NCL,  and just about every cruise line as a member. They put this proposal together, got it approved by the government, and have begun implementing it.  It is very unfair and discriminatory to those over 70 who may have difficulty convincing their doctor to put his/her signature on a document,  fearing potential liability. This is age discrimination, as it is not required of those 69 or under. It makes an assumption about age and the ability to cruise. To my knowledge, when the H1N1 (Swine Flu) in 2009 was primarily affecting those in their youth, and the elderly folks were not really affected, no such requirement was implemented for the young.  Now we are hit with, at best, a credit with the understanding that as of right now the rule going forward is that they will not board you without a doctor's note,. They will not tell you if or when they may change this rule in either direction, but will give you a credit that has an expiration date on it. So, you may never be able to use the credit before it expires. It can save them millions of dollars. If they refuse us entry then they should provide a  refund without further delay. Taking our money and setting a path where we may never be able to to cruise and can never get reimbursed is borderline theft. Kelly Craighead is the CEO of CLIA. Their website is www.cruising.org. I recommend all writing her and expressing your concern. Also contavty your state representative as it appears we are not being supported today.

"It is very unfair and discriminatory to those over 70 who may have difficulty convincing their doctor to put his/her signature on a document"

If your doctor determines that you should not be cruising because of your health, you should not be cruising .  Had to have similar for an Antarctic cruise three years ago.  A general health certificate provides the ship's doctor the opportunity to determine whether the conditions of the cruise could negatively impact your health or cause you health problems the ship cannot resolve.  This is a good thing.  For everyone's benefit, especially yours.  FYI - I'm 75 and spouse is 78. :classic_smile:

I am confused as well but the statement from celebrity's web site says this . " All guests who are denied boarding due to these restrictions will receive full compensation."   I do not know how they interpret compensation = is it a full cash refund or just cruise credits.  Is there some other travel advisory that specifically mentions a full refund?

On 3/13/2020 at 9:39 AM, MartiniBarhooked said:

Just sign you doctors name or put any signature on it.    Here you go.  The people that are worried about this one are the ones who when asked for the email by everyone in the world they give them their real email or real phone number.  Just google search doctor signature there are 100's to choose from.  You think they will call the office and if they do they will really get someone to answer the phone in the office.

download.jpeg

Lie and cheat.  Put everyone at risk.  Got it!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

"It is very unfair and discriminatory to those over 70 who may have difficulty convincing their doctor to put his/her signature on a document"

If your doctor determines that you should not be cruising because of your health, you should not be cruising .  Had to have similar for an Antarctic cruise three years ago.  A general health certificate provides the ship's doctor the opportunity to determine whether the conditions of the cruise could negatively impact your health or cause you health problems the ship cannot resolve.  This is a good thing.  For everyone's benefit, especially yours.  FYI - I'm 75 and spouse is 78. :classic_smile:

Then, if they change the policy after you pay, then they should refund your money, not issue a credit that you would probably never be able to use before their determined expiration. That's theft.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LMaraist said:

I am confused as well but the statement from celebrity's web site says this . " All guests who are denied boarding due to these restrictions will receive full compensation."   I do not know how they interpret compensation = is it a full cash refund or just cruise credits.  Is there some other travel advisory that specifically mentions a full refund?

Lots of strange things happening now. Their language is vague at times. Some like Viking are refunding, some just credits with an expiration. Considering the crisis situation right now, they are making it even more confusing.  Take RCCL, for instance.For US cruises they just canceled for the next 30 days they are offering the option of a credit or refund, but for international cruises  they just are offering just a credit that is only good for a limited time and under certain circumstances that make it worthless to many. They are also still selling their cruises for places where the airlines have already cancelled all flights in and out of the areas, assuring people that they will (only) receive a credit if the cruise doesn't happen.  

Edited by TYinPalmSprings
  • Like 1