U.S. Suspends All Travel from Europe x U.K.

Stumblefoot

I have seen the orange banner milepig.  You are wrong.  This thread does not qualify as a Coronavirus thread.

Did you not read the title and body of the post?  It references a travel ban to alert SS passengers who are foreign nationals they may not be able to travel to America from Europe for 30-days.

This thread is clearly about travel restrictions the effect of which will have a huge impact on SS travellers and, potentially, on the future of at least some of the cruise lines that depend on the freedom of passengers to travel. 

And I think we should be aware that this may not be the end of the story. While restrictions  imposed by the USA are intensely relevant to US based cruisers and destinations, they also affect other areas either directly or indirectly. 

On a global scale, I believe we are merely at the beginning of international reactions and I suspect that restrictions will become tighter over the next couple of months. 

Its all a question if which airlines, cruise lines and other travel organisations, are left standing when it's all over. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

What are the implications of this restriction to US citizens? I Notice that US citizens are allowed to return to the US so I'm assuming that they can travel to Europe and back quite freely? It all seems a bit knee jerk to me. 

On which of the cancelled flights will they travel back? 

So on a Cruise from London to London...which I obviously fly to and out of Heathrow...I may not be able to get back? I am thinking that they will have to cancel my reservation in May, no? (for any Americans, not others on the cruise)

Edited by Bucephalus53

33 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

The UK is not included in the Schengen area ban. 

That's currently. It will be all different this time next week and next month. 

I almost posted straight after the thread started in relation to this. I know we are an Island and don't have the usual land based crossing borders that Europe has. But we are not so far behind many banned countries.

I think this gesture (which I can only assume is meant as a slap to the EU) ensures anyone wanting to fly to the US will simply fly via the UK and increase the potential to infect further.

In the meantime, I've also just been told Princess has suspended it's operations for 2 months. (Joining Viking which was mentioned earlier.)

Can't help thinking the US, with all it's health care, is a real powder keg because of the cost of even basic care and testing, let alone self isolating unless you have insurance / wealthy.

Anyway, I agree TTS. We will also be elevated to the bad list soon and it is a real source of concern that people have and continue to do so, when arriving, just walk in without questions or even temperature taken.

That's not the way to show you are serious about controlling. And some of these could be getting straight on a plane bound for the US several hours later.

The US must do what it must to protect itself, but I can't help thinking it's not thought it through with this ban applied. (And it could be Canada or another country still flying to Europe this scenario applies for entry.)

Edited by les37b
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Bucephalus53 said:

So on a Cruise from London to London...which I obviously fly to and out of Heathrow...I may not be able to get back? I am thinking that they will have to cancel my reservation in May, no? (for any Americans, not others on the cruise)

Assuming you are a US citizen the ban does not affect you, although you may undergo additional screening if you were within the Schengen area. It's currently limited to 30 days so I wouldn't automatically assume a May trip would necessarily be affected.

What a baffling policy. I wasn't aware viruses knew what passport you carried.

• Like 1

Hi les37b and all, I think it says something about the British that whilst other events aboard are being cancelled, our own Cheltenham horse racing festival is going ahead - full of elderly men who smoke and drink too much (ie in danger zone!)! We never think it will happen to us, and hopefully it will not!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, worldtraveller99 said:

Hi les37b and all, I think it says something about the British that whilst other events aboard are being cancelled, our own Cheltenham horse racing festival is going ahead - full of elderly men who smoke and drink too much (ie in danger zone!)! We never think it will happen to us, and hopefully it will not!

Not sure if that's a suggestion I smoke or attend horse racing? .. I do neither! lol

No idea why they're suggesting stopping events won't help. All seems most strange to say it won't slow the spread. Logically it doesn't make sense, though the comment it helps to delay so the NHS has a better chance to cope and that effectively most of us will get it anyway isn't filling me with confidence particularly with a 22 year old who is a type 1 diabetic.

If I'm right on what I've been told, Europeans are not allowed to book and board flights from Europe to London and on to the US. (Which I'd said above was a worry.)

However, this has not stopped St Pancras station (Eurostar) being swamped with people hoping to catch a flight after arriving in London on the train. This too is not allowed, but they've still come.

Obviously the internet is a source of lies and misinformation, but is also a place we hope to learn and find the truth.

Reading between the lines that containment is not possible, it would seem the UK strategy is to hope herd protection kicks in which can't happen until 6 out of 10 contract and come out the other side safe. That's an awful lot of people to get infected. 800 down, 39M to go.

I'm hoping someone who is knowledgeable can kick that into touch because it sounds much like people are being sacrificed for the greater good and pretty scary. (JP, TTS?)

I've said previously that the effects of the virus on me personally, I feel not too phased with.  But I've read some pretty horrible accounts now and I'll certainly be not taking chances. I'm possibly at risk, but my 22 year old son definitely is with type 1 diabetes. 

This phrase herd immunity has suddenly tripped lightly off the lips of TV presenters like some magic bullet for C-19.

What they really mean is that once enough people have been infected and recovered then the population as a whole is to a degree protected because there are fewer hosts for the pathogen. But that can only happen after one cycle of the infection through the population. 

Also, herd immunity is lost if individual immunity is lost - as we know some diseases or inoculation against these confer lifelong immunity, others don't. We have no idea how long individual immunity lasts and whether you can in in fact ever have a sufficient level of immune individuals to confer herd immunity. 

I'm very sceptical as you can see! 

Well, I think they are right to try to delay and extend the peak period. That takes the pressure off the health service somewhat by reducing the normal winter burden and by having fewer health care staff off at any one time. 

The idea that they are planning to allow the virus free rein is largely up to the virus! There are arguments to allow this disease to take its course. Unless you are over 60 or with other health issues. 

I remain confident that if the authorities follow the advice of the experts the effects will be ameliorated as much as is possible but I do think a lot of older people will have their lives shortened. 

Sorry to be a Jeremiah. 

Edited by Tothesunset