Possible replacement for Canadian ports

beachseasand

Greetings

Canada doesn't want cruise passengers visiting.  But that doesn't mean that Canada couldn't allow the ship to stop at a port and just have it's docs stamped.  The rules do not require any specific time period the ship needs to stay in port nor are there any rules about passengers leaving the ship for it to be a legal trip.  When new ships do the short cruises out of Miami to show off the new vessel to invited guest they sometimes simply send a launch into Bimini and have the Bahama's customs clear the ship.  That makes it a legal cruise as they did stop in a foreign port.  Not saying this will happen, just that it is a possible solution to satisfy the PVSA.

Good Sailing

Tom

PS  We are booked on a 04 June Alaska cruise (Sea-Sea) so I am quite interested if there will be a work around. 

Edited by tunaman2011

15 minutes ago, tunaman2011 said:

Greetings

Canada doesn't want cruise passengers visiting.  But that doesn't mean that Canada couldn't allow the ship to stop at a port and just have it's docs stamped.  The rules do not require any specific time period the ship needs to stay in port nor are there any rules about passengers leaving the ship for it to be a legal trip.  When new ships do the short cruises out of Miami to show off the new vessel to invited guest they sometimes simply send a launch into Bimini and have the Bahama's customs clear the ship.  That makes it a legal cruise as they did stop in a foreign port.  Not saying this will happen, just that it is a possible solution to satisfy the PVSA.

Good Sailing

Tom

PS  We are booked on a 04 June Alaska cruise (Sea-Sea) so I am quite interested if there will be a work around. 

There is zero chance that if this crisis is still serious enough that Canada is locked down that Seattle will be allowing people to cruise. 

51 minutes ago, tunaman2011 said:

Greetings

Good Sailing

Tom

While this was true in the past, CBP changed the rules about a decade ago, where "technical" stops, where the port stop may not be advertised in the itinerary, or where passengers are not allowed to disembark at the port, are no longer allowed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tunaman2011 said:

Greetings

Good Sailing

Tom

Why would Canada do that though? Having a port stop at least brings in tourists and generates money for the local economy (having and embarkation port does that even more).  Having  a technical stop brings risks but virtually no benefit to the local economy.

14 minutes ago, Named-Tawny said:

Why would Canada do that though? Having a port stop at least brings in tourists and generates money for the local economy (having and embarkation port does that even more).  Having  a technical stop brings risks but virtually no benefit to the local economy.

BC's Public Health Officer was the first one to ask for Canada's cruise season to be delayed and our Health Minister was the first one to say, he wouldn't recommend cruising at this time. Now that the border is closed, it won't open easily, not until COVID is under control.

One missed carrier has resulted in 18 Health Care workers & 36 patients being infected and 10 deaths (so far) in one Long Term Care facility  

• Like 2

On 3/21/2020 at 8:40 AM, choover2576 said:

We are booked for May 24 on the Bliss.  I called NCL to request a refund on our pre-paid gratuities (as others have suggested in anticipation of a cancellation). 

Sorry, I'm booked on the NCL Joy for May 23.   I've been lurking but now have to speak up.  I figure it's all a day-to-day crapshoot, but PLEASE tell my the reason for requesting a refund on pre-paid gratuities.

59 minutes ago, fandangocruiser said:

Sorry, I'm booked on the NCL Joy for May 23.   I've been lurking but now have to speak up.  I figure it's all a day-to-day crapshoot, but PLEASE tell my the reason for requesting a refund on pre-paid gratuities.

Get your money back while they still have some.  You can always pay again if you actually take the cruise.