River Cruisers: How Are Things Where YOU Are?

Host Jazzbeau

Forgot to mention that Luxembourg - with its embarkation port being Remich on the Moselle - is also heading in the wrong direction due to the delta variant. Norway has already reacted with restriction for entry for travellers from Luxembourg. Thankfully the Luxembourgian Prime Minister who has Covid-19 has been able to leave the hospital after several days of treatment. He tested positive shortly after holding a European summit. A bit of a scare that was.

1 hour ago, Daisi said:

yes, I heard from our cousins in North Brabant, they say festivals have been cancelled, and are very worried things are going to get bad again.

Festivals and night clubs are the worst places it seems. Problem with one club near the German border was that although people were only allowed to enter having one of three g's - in English this would be either of t ested, v accinated, or r ecovered - quite a few people were infected, so the authorities reckon some documents must have been falsified.

Sad really, if this leads to serious injury and means that a county may have to shut down again. Which back on topic could mean places that river cruisers would like to frequent may have to close as well.

I do not think I will go to Luxembourg to do some shopping, too scary.

notamermaid

In Germany, the infection rate is rising again, but on a very low level. Our neighbouring states are worse off. Especially the Netherlands are a great worry. England has decided to go ahead with "experiment day" (my words). Germany will watch and learn as we have always looked to our neighbours and the island throughout this.

The authorities here have of course acknowledged that the correlation between infection rate, hospitalization, ICU and deaths has shifted. This will be watched closely as well and accordingly regulations will be looked at and evaluated. But the basic rules of distance, hygiene, masks, etc. will not change for quite some time, as we were told yesterday that both mutations and long Covid remain a concern, too much to let us run around like normal.

One example of how things work around here. Swimming pool visit: if you are fully vaccinated bring your certificate, ID card, adhere to the standards of hygiene and just turn up without having to book. Or bring a test result. Easy really.

Question is whether this will change again if the infections go up a lot. I have no idea what will close then. I also still do not know if there is a risk of river cruises being affected again. Not sure if the authorities have decided on that yet anyway. It is a niggling thought that I may only get out of my head by contacting my state government in Mainz.

But, for now, we stand at 7, up from 5, so I am still at ease, as long as I stay in my own country. I know that my dear people in Kent and elsewhere are careful but I still worry about them a bit. If I manage to get across the channel this year, it will be about two years since I last saw them. I find that difficult to grasp mentally.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
corrected figure

Here in Melbourne, we are back in lockdown, again!  This is lockdown number five.  So far it is being sold as a "short sharp lockdown to get on top of things".  We've heard all that before, especially before the one that went to four months.

Again it is the Delta variant that has spread down with returning travellers (again) from Sydney and some furniture removalists that travelled here without masks, drove all over the state and into South Australia and now refuse to tell the contract tracers where they have been.  The mind simply boggles at these imbeciles.

We have 18 cases over two day, not many I know, but it certainly seems to be spreading rapidly, both at outdoor football matches and in supermarkets.  Even more worryingly a few of the people are fully vaccinated, yet still easily catching and spreading it.  Of course, we have no idea how sick they are yet, just that they are positive.

Hopefully things pick up in Germany Notamermaid, I must say that I have heard or read nothing of floods here, I will have to look out for new on that.

Wow @notamermaid, just seeing the news.  Hope you and your friends are all OK.  I saw the flooding in London the other day, and I see there is some in France.  Thinking of all.

@djh1959I do hope you are truly on a "short' lockdown.  Sad that some people just don't understand how dangerous it is.  Hope things straighten out soon.

The flooding is bad. A dear person from England was so concerned after reading the BBC news that he has phoned me. I am fine, we are fine where we live. But it is a great concern for many people, with tragic accidents. Heard a weird thing day before yesterday: in the South of Rhineland-Palatinate badgers have weakened a railway line embankment so much that the authorities closed the line, fearing the heavy rain could cause the line to subside, a danger to trains and life.

I need to get some work done, need to be brief. Thanks for your concern, people.

@djh1959 Really sorry to read that.

notamermaid

A short update: I have caught up with the news and it is bad, really bad. Our state leader has called it catastrophic and indeed several municipalities have officially declared this a catastrophe. It is a call for emergency help on top of local fire brigades. People that know the rivers are always aware of dangers but it has come too fast and too heavily. It is a shock.

Near Bonn, even the motorway A61 had to be closed due to suspected damage to the foundations of the road itself.

https://news.sky.com/story/30-people-missing-after-houses-collapse-during-severe-floods-in-germany-report-12356134

A bit more later in the threads of Rhine and Moselle.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Added link

I have been following news of the torrential rains in Europe. The flooding in Germany is, indeed, catastrophic - lives have been lost with many people missing, what a tragedy! Stay safe @notamermaid

Sorry to hear your news @djh1959. I know exactly how you feel about the "imbeciles" - we have more than our fair share where I live. Hopefully, your lockdown won't last long.

Hi All!

I just wanted to let you know that I tested negative for COVID. I still haven't gotten my email but I did it through Walgreens and called and they gave me the results over the phone.

I hate putting things up my nose. This was a self swab and only had to go in 1/2" into each nostril - you swab around for 15 seconds on each side. They said it takes about an hour to get the results. After 90 minutes I called the Walgreens and they gave me the results. 3.5 hours later, still no email.

Just glad for the results. Thanks for being a sounding board!

Theresa

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Coral said:

Hi All!

I just wanted to let you know that I tested negative for COVID. I still haven't gotten my email but I did it through Walgreens and called and they gave me the results over the phone.

I hate putting things up my nose. This was a self swab and only had to go in 1/2" into each nostril - you swab around for 15 seconds on each side. They said it takes about an hour to get the results. After 90 minutes I called the Walgreens and they gave me the results. 3.5 hours later, still no email.

Just glad for the results. Thanks for being a sounding board!

Theresa

What a relief!  So happy to hear you are negative.  How is your coworker feeling?

40 minutes ago, KathyK13 said:

What a relief!  So happy to hear you are negative.  How is your coworker feeling?

No fever for 30 hours. She is up and leaving her bedroom. Still staying in the house but she feels better. Said she has some brain fog but overall, she is seeing improvement over 48 hours ago! 🙂

Great news that you are negative, Coral.

What dreadful news about the flooding.  As I mentioned yesterday, I have heard nothing about it here in Australia - all we get is covid news.  I hope that you are well Notamermaid, and that things improve soon.

We are just ending day one of our lockdown.  I have little faith that it will end in five days, but time will tell.

1 hour ago, Canal archive said:

Notamermaid and Steamboats I hope your both well and dry! So very very awful we are with you in spirit.

I am alright, thank you. The river is really high, a bit scary how fast this has happened. The rain is drifting towards the East, so I am a bit worried about Bavaria and Austria.

@djh1959 Thank you. I know my river is a violent beast when it carries a lot of water and some tributaries can be unpredictable, but this is unbelievable. In a really sad way Covid-19 did not exist here yesterday, the news was all about water (and our leader meeting a certain president).

One piece of news I picked up from day before yesterday: in Trier people celebrated football watching it on a big screen in a pub. All legal, but then they hugged (not allowed) and shouted and yes, now 14 people have tested positive. That is so much statistically for the district that it pushes the infection rate up to being one of the highest in the whole country. It could put Trier in a position where they have to introduce tougher regulations again. Which could affect what you can do on land during your docking at Trier. Not definite, but a possibility.

I hope your lockdown does not last long. Keep delta in check in your country, we are having a bit of difficulty with it.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Added info

@Daisi, just read PM Trudeau's comments about reopening the border to fully vaccinated Americans by mid-August, and to the rest of the world by early September:

YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kudos to our northern friends who have 80% with one vaccine dose and 50% fully vaxxed.

We have renewed hope that our September trip will happen.  At this point, wearing a mask indoors or on a bus won't bother me much--vaccine has removed that fear and dread--still have to be careful, though..........

On a sadder note, it was difficult watching the flood maps on BBC world news last night, seeing the names of places our river cruise took us to, who are now suffering immensely.  Prayers to all in those affected countries.

• Like 2

@sharkster77, yes, but there are conditions.  Current trends for vaccination have to keep up ( we still need to increase our vaccination rate, not close yet to the 75% he wanted), and if the #'s in the US keep rising as they have...could change things again.  

Trudeau is being very cautious in this, as are most of the premiers.and things change (negatively) overnight.  I really hope we can open up a bit more, but we have a lot to catch up with the 1 1/2 years we closed , so it will be slow, but hopefully things are starting to turn around.

I do see that they have given the larger cruise ship notice that the ports will open in November...

7 minutes ago, Daisi said:

@sharkster77, yes, but there are conditions.  Current trends for vaccination have to keep up ( we still need to increase our vaccination rate, not close yet to the 75% he wanted), and if the #'s in the US keep rising as they have...could change things again.  

Trudeau is being very cautious in this, as are most of the premiers.and things change (negatively) overnight.  I really hope we can open up a bit more, but we have a lot to catch up with the 1 1/2 years we closed , so it will be slow, but hopefully things are starting to turn around.

I do see that they have given the larger cruise ship notice that the ports will open in November...

Though most cruises that visit Canada are over by November. I am guessing November was chosen because of this. Canada/NE cruises are gone by Canada by then.

Well we were off to barge on the Canal du Nivernais four of us on the 1st August but not now, again, the hoops we now have to jump through and the timing don’t work out. It’s the PCR test there is no supplier who will guarantee getting it to us in the time and return the result in time. So all off to Scotland in September and we will have a French day including champagne. 
So everyone in Germany etc keep well and dry and everyone else keep well.

• Like 2

Just an update in my situation. I got my negative results yesterday.

I did speak with my friend who I was exposed to. She tested positive on the rapid test last Thursday and the longer test on Friday. Her family went in on Friday and all tested negative.

As with most families - it is a mixed family vaccine wise. My friend had the Johnson and Johnson, her husband had the Moderna and the children had Pfizer. Most of them re-tested yesterday as the youngest was going to leave for camp tomorrow. They all tested positive. There is one who left the state last weekend who has sniffles and has not re-tested yet. The immediate family who tested negative last week and positive this week have either no symptoms or mild symptoms (light cough).

Honestly - I think this is incredibly scary. I am starting to think breakthrough cases are being under tested and under reported. They would not have tested normally if they had not been exposed. The only reason they re-tested was because the girl was going to camp. So breakthroughs with all 3 vaccines. The person who we think was infected first - did get retested yesterday I think as the county wanted to know if this was the Delta variant. 

Be careful everyone.  As most of you know - I am not a medical professional by any means. Just reporting what I am seeing around me. I would probably not know any of this if I wasn't exposed to someone with COVID.