Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

On the topic of cats. I don’t know if it is broadcast outside of the U.S., but there is a competition called, Lego Masters. On the first episode, season 4,  they have to build a house for a kitten filled with toys to keep the kitten happy. I’ve watched it 3 times because it is grandson #2’s favorite. A dozen darling kittens being darling kittens for an hour. No, we will not have another cat, we will not have another cat..think cat box..

27 minutes ago, MrsPeel55 said:

@NE John  I always said I was born in the wrong era... not sure I would be very happy in the 1880 or even before 1920s, but most certainly would have loved sailing with Cunard in the 1930s onwards!

Do you know the series? The Gilded Age? 

Yes. It’s on HBO Max here. I certainly watch it. Coming from Julian Fellows, it’s  no where as good as Downton Abbey but the production and settings are top-notch. I loved Julian Fellows character on Monarch of the Glen. As for the 1930’s, Art Deco is my favorite form of architecture and art, hands down. 

Edited by NE John
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, NE John said:

Yes. It’s on HBO Max here. I certainly watch it. Coming from Julian Fellows, it’s  no where as good as Downton Abbey but the production and settings are top-notch. I loved Julian Fellows character on Monarch of the Glen. As for the 1930’s, Art Deco is my favorite form of architecture and art, hands down. 

oh yes, agree all the way (in all!)..... Downton was amazing in so many ways, the characters were brilliant, the acting talent marvellous, was also very special to us, we watched together every Sunday, was a bit of a ritual, streaming wasn't anywhere near what it is today... 

I have been told to watch Monarch of Glen, will look at where we can access 🙂

34 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

No stabilisers. 😀

yes...but the fashion....!!!!! 🤩

also would need to make a parenthesis from, say, 38 to 48...then would have 5 years or so to sail with stabilisers!!!!!! 🚢 🛳️ 

Our local hypermarket's Christmas/New Year Comté offerings were published recently. We're looking forward to tasting a few of them. We get a chance with the 15 month next week albeit at a slightly higher offer price than what is advertised for the festive season.

zoomlarge_page_19.jpg?impolicy=zoomlarge

• Like 3

On 11/5/2023 at 4:16 PM, Colin_Cameron said:

So my first attempt at making gingerbread reindeer for the cakes didn't go to plan. If anyone has a use for gingerbread hippos let me know.😄

OK. I've given up on the gingerbread reindeer. My biscuit skills are clearly not up to the task. I've decided to model them in icing instead and have been googling how reindeer move, but all the results are for running on the ground. Does anyone know how they move when they're flying?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

OK. I've given up on the gingerbread reindeer. My biscuit skills are clearly not up to the task. I've decided to model them in icing instead and have been googling how reindeer move, but all the results are for running on the ground. Does anyone know how they move when they're flying?

I think the front legs are bent at the knees and the back ones trail out behind for lowered air resistance. 😀

4 minutes ago, alc13 said:

ExLondoner has it right. 

image.png.91e791118538cfffc105e649257c2556.png

Although, we shouldn't ask how they fly, or Superman, either.  Leads to inconvenient answers involving physics etc.

Good gracious, isn’t it embarrassing the things we can remember, when I think of all the important things I can’t. 😀

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

I think the front legs are bent at the knees and the back ones trail out behind for lowered air resistance. 😀

I have a very early edition of Clement Moore's T'was the Night before Christmas and Arthur Rackham's drawings have always been the definitive reindeer in flight for me and his reindeer fit your description.

• Thanks 1

On 11/13/2023 at 11:14 PM, techteach said:

@MrsPeel55 Sitting here now hand quilting and watching The Gilded Age and my head popped up at the references to Cunard.

@techteach

Watched latest episode very early this morning, Cunard again mentioned...  my daughter has been very busy and -I think she feels she would be betraying Downton Abbey LOL- has not watched any of it.... she tells me if they film in any of the Queens, she is willing to catch up and watch it with me..... 😁

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, MrsPeel55 said:

@techteach

Watched latest episode very early this morning, Cunard again mentioned...  my daughter has been very busy and -I think she feels she would be betraying Downton Abbey LOL- has not watched any of it.... she tells me if they film in any of the Queens, she is willing to catch up and watch it with me..... 😁

The plus of that show is the amazing work around the sets and costumes and I too would look forward to their recreation of being onboard an ocean liner from that era. Remember back then, the liners had either Roman type names or geographically based names: Campania and Lucania or Java. The first Queen was Mary in the 1930’s. 

• Like 1

on a non cruise o TV/stream related thing....

any of you have an Air Fryer?

I have been tempted too buy but we are tight on space, I know in the States there are 1.1,  2L  & 2,2 sized ones that I can see YouTube videos and know people who have them, the smallest I found here is 3L, which I'm reluctant to buy as not sure I can trust the reviews....

The smallest Ninja is 3.8....  I'm trying g to evaluate if we would use it enough to have that much space taken..... 

Edited by MrsPeel55

44 minutes ago, MrsPeel55 said:

on a non cruise o TV/stream related thing....

any of you have an Air Fryer?

I have been tempted too buy but we are tight on space, I know in the States there are 1.1,  2L  & 2,2 sized ones that I can see YouTube videos and know people who have them, the smallest I found here is 3L, which I'm reluctant to buy as not sure I can trust the reviews....

The smallest Ninja is 3.8....  I'm trying g to evaluate if we would use it enough to have that much space taken..... 

I have two in different sizes. They are great for oven chips, sausages and fish.

• Like 1