Sooo....just got upgrade for 4/12 cruise...what are the implications if we/NCL cancels?

We've been in a holding pattern, trying to wait out NCL a bit when it comes to our 4/12 booking on the Encore out of Miami.  My understanding is that if NCL cancels our sailing, we get the full refund vs. money toward a future cruise (FCC).  

This morning we received our upgrade bid, which has complicated the picture quite a bit. It's an upgrade to The Haven, too, which is awesome and presents a great deal, working from the perspective of a month ago, but who knows what it will mean in the future.  Anyway, our cruise was nearly sold out, so I'm sure our upgrade bid win was a byproduct of plenty of folks taking advantage of the "Peace of Mind" policy.

Does anyone know what implications this will have for us if

1.) we decide to use "Peace of Mind" and go for FCC, or

2.) NCL cancels our cruise?

Would we receive this additional upgrade money that we bid back in FCC or as a refund?  

Thank you, for your help!

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, micheluvscorgis said:

Does anyone know what implications this will have for us if

1.) we decide to use "Peace of Mind" and go for FCC, or

2.) NCL cancels our cruise?

Would we receive this additional upgrade money that we bid back in FCC or as a refund?  

Thank you, for your help!

Your answers can be found on this page (but you do have to scroll through and read):

https://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/book-with-confidence

For example:

The following will be applied to the FCC:

• Cruise fare and taxes
    • Including any winning Upgrade Advantage payments.
  • Flight arrangements booked through Norwegian Cruise Line.
  • Hotel and CruiseTour packages purchased through Norwegian Cruise Line.
  • Shore Excursions booked and pre-paid through Norwegian Cruise Line
  • Prepaid service charges
  • Beverage or Dining gratuities (if part of FAS Promotion selection)
  • Essentials Travel Protection

There's no chance that cruise is happening. You won't see a single cruise ship leaving a US port until the nationwide trend in new COVID19 infections has been trending down for weeks, and we're not even close to the peak yet. 

• Like 2

If NCL cancels, you've typically had two options.....They convert everything to a future cruise credit which expires one year after issuance, but is valid for 100% of the costs or they've been offering refunds at the time of cancellation. I think that is likely to change with the next round of cancellations. I know United is automatically converting to a future credit valid for 1 year. If unused, a refund is issued after the 12 month period.

....for any customer whose international travel is cancelled or disrupted by more than 6 hours because of schedule changes resulting from government restrictions, they will retain a travel credit equal to the value of their ticket. That credit can be used towards any flight, to any destination, for 12 months from the time of purchase. If the customer chooses not to use the credit, they will receive a refund to their original form of payment at the end of that 12-month period.....

3 minutes ago, Love my butler said:

Why?  Because the fight against the Chinese coronavirus is going so well?

Why are you being snippy?

I am not arguing they should. I just think there is some evidence that they might go.

To be honest here is the way it goes. If they cancel I will be delighted. I will get my money back and that will be fine with me. I am a teacher. Working class with a Masters degree. So I save up with my partner and we go when we can. We pay it bit by bit. Count down days. For us this is a huge deal. Any vacation is a huge deal. So if we get a full refund, that will be amazing. We can not take cruise credit. So it is either refund or we go. There is no middle ground.

So why I think we might go... 

A. Hotels booked up. New Orleans has a couple of hotels that are cruise hotels. They were not booked a day ago. Now they are filled.

B. As far as I know they have maintained their crews. RCL did not. They also made big cuts to everyone in support, not the face to face with customers peeps.

C. They just booked a huge loan. They are troubled and desperately need the bookings. If they can go they will go.

Now that being said I do not think they will go. But yesterday I was at 0% now I am closer to 20. 

I highly doubt my 4/19 TA is going. Even if by a miracle it goes, my Boston   to NYC bus was cancelled today until early May so no way to get there.  So keep deluding yourself  That you are going until reality will kicks in. 

I am not being delusional. I said there was a slim reason to believe that it might go.

Also read again. If it cancels I will not be sad, but if it goes I really have little choice but to go.I would prefer it cancel today. 

When they cancel they cancel. But my situation is VERY different that most. I can not take cruise credit. So if it goes I either will need to be on it or I will lose the precious money we put toward this.

So if it does not cancel I will have mixed emotions. If it cancels I will be fine.

That is not delusional. It is reality.

Their going to cancel the cruise. Just a matter of when. A quick look at available cabins shows availability in every stateroom category except for one Haven selection. NCL isn't even trying to fill cabins at the $699 lead in rate. Below a certain occupancy level, it doesn't make sense to operate a revenue cruise. 

Hopefully, they'll offer a refund when the cancel.

Edited by blcruising

Where is the cruise to?  TA?  If anywhere in Europe, I think the borders are closed, and will remain closed, through April or even longer....

I have a June cruise and I doubt very much that is happening - Southampton to Norway, just two countries and I can’t imagine either being normal enough to support cruising - or safe enough for us over-60’s either.