Konigsdam August 1st 2020-What would you do?

steve4031

I have 800 dollars to pay for the final payment on 4/23/20.  

What happens if I cancel now?  I am assuming I will probably lose the deposit.  

What happens if I wait until 4/23 and then pay, and then the cruise is canceled by Holland America?   How do future cruise credits work?  

What would you do in this situation?  

Are there things that i am not considering?  

Thank you for your assistance.  I have never been in a situation where a cruise I was going on had a strong possibility of being canceled.  I want to go about this in the most intelligent way.  

I certainly would not pay until due.   We have a paid in full since January Alaska cruise that is scheduled to depart Vancouver May 9th.  We are waiting for HAL to cancel.  Canada is closed.  Alaska is closed.  I have Platinum Plan insurance so I can get 90% of my $ back at anytime but we will just wait it out. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, steve4031 said:

I have 800 dollars to pay for the final payment on 4/23/20.  

What happens if I cancel now?  I am assuming I will probably lose the deposit.  

What happens if I wait until 4/23 and then pay, and then the cruise is canceled by Holland America?   How do future cruise credits work?  

What would you do in this situation?  

Are there things that i am not considering?  

Thank you for your assistance.  I have never been in a situation where a cruise I was going on had a strong possibility of being canceled.  I want to go about this in the most intelligent way.  

Find out if your deposit is non refundable.

23 hours ago, Gigi1977 said:

I certainly would not pay until due.   We have a paid in full since January Alaska cruise that is scheduled to depart Vancouver May 9th.  We are waiting for HAL to cancel.  Canada is closed.  Alaska is closed.  I have Platinum Plan insurance so I can get 90% of my $ back at anytime but we will just wait it out. 

Same boat. Paid Feb 6th for 11 day Denali starting May 14th. Going to wait out HAL and let them cancel.

Edited by Reagan0712
Spelling
  • Like 1

We were due to board KONINGSDAM March 15, 2020. HAL cancelled on us on the 14th. Other passengers cancelled days earlier on HAL. The difference? If you, the passenger, cancels on the cruiseline you will probably get all your money back ONLY if you do it well in advance of sailing date (Check with your Travel Agent for details?) In our case, at the last hour HAL cancelled our cruise, so we of course received all of our money back, PLUS we got a FCC (Future Cruise Credit) equal in value to the cancelled one; good for 12 months. As I understand it, sometimes cruiselines cancel a cruise perhaps YEARS in advance of sailing; in which case I do not know the legalities of what a booked passenger is then entitled to. In the end...it's your call.

2 hours ago, steve4031 said:

It is a non-refundable deposit.  I suspect the best thing to do is wait and see.  

Then I guess the best thing is to wait.  I was to be on Koningdam on 3/4/2020.  We canceled.  And I am so glad that we did.

7 hours ago, LocoLoco1 said:

We were due to board KONINGSDAM March 15, 2020. HAL cancelled on us on the 14th. Other passengers cancelled days earlier on HAL. The difference? If you, the passenger, cancels on the cruiseline you will probably get all your money back ONLY if you do it well in advance of sailing date (Check with your Travel Agent for details?) In our case, at the last hour HAL cancelled our cruise, so we of course received all of our money back, PLUS we got a FCC (Future Cruise Credit) equal in value to the cancelled one; good for 12 months. As I understand it, sometimes cruiselines cancel a cruise perhaps YEARS in advance of sailing; in which case I do not know the legalities of what a booked passenger is then entitled to. In the end...it's your call.

I wonder how that would work if I have to be at the land portion of a land/sea cruise the day before the cruise portion starts.  What I’m afraid of in this game of chicken is that if I don’t show up for the land portion, which I won’t, will HAL consider that I’ve simply bailed on the cruise without cancelling.  Running into that problem with Icelandair now. I couldn’t get through to them to cancel and they’re taking the stance if someone didn’t show up for a flight it’s on the passenger as a no show not Icelandair.

Some cruises in March were cancelled by cruise line at the "last minute".  Now, some cruises are being cancelled all the way through end of April and beyond.  Cruises can't just "start up" on a moment's notice.  Ships, right now, are "somewhere".   Crews are "somewhere".   Just pay at the last moment.  If your cruise is cancelled by the cruise line, it will not be at the last moment.  Do you have airfare paid?  If not, this might be a great time to buy it, but only buy a refundable ticket.

On 3/29/2020 at 12:02 AM, Gigi1977 said:

HAL has cancelled, so that eases your problem.  And I suspect that they will be at least one or two more 30-day extensions.

I am on that cruise and I am hoping that it will be a go.  I was booked on a Pacific Coastal that left on 4/25 and when the announcement first came out I had everything rolled over to this cruise.  If for some reason this cruise is a no go I expect that HAL would extend the same offer as they are now in which case your deposit will be refunded or you can roll the entire amount over to a future cruise.

Our FCC E-mail from HAL states the 'Basic Cruise Value' I paid for will be what they will $Credit$ me. ( I was refunded EVERYTHING, $10/K, of course, from last months abandoned KONINGSDAM cruise), I did NOT have insurance and never will. So I will get about an $8000 Future Cruise Credit on whatever cruise I go on in early 2021. However, I will still pay taxes, Booze package, Port Fees, tours etc etc. on my cruise next year.  Me?? I think July, 2020 at the earliest is when I would even think of cruising, which I am personally not going to do til next Feb 2021 at earliest. KONINGSDAM  was to take us from Florida to Vancouver, Canada. It's headed there now. Empty. Waiting for Alaska. If I WAS thinking of a cruise this Summer... I would book mere days before Sailing Date. But I can do that, I'm retired, travel light and don't actually care if I go or not. If they go bankrupt? Meh.. I'm not out anything.  Again, Each To Their Own.