Celebrity Eclipse exposed passengers to Covid19

FOXTROT

I am eager to cruise again, once there is a vaccine. Passengers get sick and even die on cruise ships.  They never report the illnesses/deaths to the other passengers.  I remember vividly that about the 25th Captain Leo stopped saying that there was no illnesses Onboard.   Yes, they could have quarantined us in our rooms for the last few days, but I am not sure it would have made a difference at that point. A number of people came down with symptoms on their trip home or right after they got home.  That means that by the 26th, they were Most likely already infected.

the Zaandam had passengers die and they were not sent into quarantine when they docked.  They flew home on chartered planes.  

Right now we should focus on prayers for the sick and their loved ones and stay in the moment. It doesn’t do anybody any good to speculate about what will happen to the cruise industry or what people may or may not do. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Va man said:

Many of us thought they did an amazing job.  

A captain announcing publicly daily that there was no illness onboard when there have been multiple reports from people here that there was indeed illness onboard is not doing "an amazing job" IMHO.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Va man said:

You evidently didn’t notice him leaving that out of his updates after about the 25th.  His failure to mention it has been commented on by more than one person.

And we have commentary from members here that they encountered or experienced illness themselves even prior to him ceasing those messages.

• Like 2

Yoi obviously are going to find reason to blame Celebrity.  We weren’t in the infirmary, we don’t know who was sick when, and we don’t know what their diagnosis was, except the one lady in ICU.  You are entitled to your version of the truth.

• Like 3

My opinion......we cruised with Celebrity mid January Singapore to Dubai fabulous cruise loved every minute. Celebrity should have cancelled all further cruises from 1st February and may I add all passengers should have refrained from boarding...we all knew by then. We feel so lucky to have gotten home. Wishing everyone good health and keep safe.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Va man said:

Yoi obviously are going to find reason to blame Celebrity.  We weren’t in the infirmary, we don’t know who was sick when, 

and we don’t know what their diagnosis was, except the one lady in ICU.  You are entitled to your version of the truth.

CORONAVIRUS HEALTH PROTOCOLS

Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Celebrity Eclipse

We received clearance from port authorities and public health officials to disembark our guests and return them safely to their homes. No guests or crew members reported with symptoms throughout the sailing, and guests are going through exit health screenings when they leave the ship. We remain in continuous contact with public health authorities and appreciate their guidance to protect the well-being of our guests and crew.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Va man said:

Yoi obviously are going to find reason to blame Celebrity.  We weren’t in the infirmary, we don’t know who was sick when, and we don’t know what their diagnosis was, except the one lady in ICU.  You are entitled to your version of the truth.

I'm going on reports from people who were actually on the ship like petelang:

6 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

CORONAVIRUS HEALTH PROTOCOLS

Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Celebrity Eclipse

We received clearance from port authorities and public health officials to disembark our guests and return them safely to their homes. No guests or crew members reported with symptoms throughout the sailing, and guests are going through exit health screenings when they leave the ship. We remain in continuous contact with public health authorities and appreciate their guidance to protect the well-being of our guests and crew.

Thank you. Some people seem to think that some of us are just making this stuff up.

• Like 3

I apologize for thinking that.  I never saw that document until today and a lot of people are describing conditions on the ship that are not even close to what I experienced. 

We noticed more people cleaning their hands and fewer people coughing than on any of the other dozen or so cruises that I have been on.  We saw no evidence of illness.  People were concerned, but no one I talked to was aware anyone on the ship was sick.  We all thought we had dodged a bullet.

• Like 2

I heard from my brother today that he and his wife each got a mask and gloves as they were exiting the ship. My husband and I disembarked through a special wheel chair exit and got nothing. We would certainly have worn them.

That said, this was a lose/lose situation. I for one am happy to be home with my own doctor and medical facilities available if I need them. 

• Like 1

It is almost like we had two different cruises.  My partner and I went to the infirmary on about the 21st and the waiting room was almost empty.  Most of those there were checking on meds.  We didn’t go back to the infirmary and never ran into anyone who knew someone who was sick.  We were all worried about the disease and what we faced at home, but tried to enjoy the cruise.

Those who went to the infirmary later, or were sick themselves saw others who were sick and that shaped their perspective.  They were apparently focused on all the sickness they saw and the lack of action being taken to prevent the disease from spreading.

Those of us who thought they did an amazing job had no idea anyone was sick. We were thankful to be fed and entertained and know Celebrity was going to get us home.  I am sorry we didn’t know passengers were sick so we could have started praying for them sooner.

Edited by Va man
  • Like 2

The problem with the constant reassurance is that countless other people were put at risk as we all travelled home - airport staff, airline crew, people stopping off for fuel or groceries before self-isolating, people calling in to hug their family before self-isolating. How many would have made different decisions or been more careful if they had known that there was a greater risk than previously understood that we might be infected . I had some mild cold symptoms but thought it’s just a cold right, because my temperature was normal.  I reported these symptoms when I arrived in Sydney and subsequently tested positive. I’m thankful that Australia had such tight protocols so I’m confident I’ve not infected anyone in Australia. I’m not so confident when it comes to the airport staff at San Diego and SFO or the United Airlines crew who flew us home. But I thought I couldn’t be a risk to anyone because after all I’d been on a ship for 17 days and there was no-one with symptoms on board.

• Like 8

To:Celebrity Eclipse Passengers

If you were on the chartered flight to Boston- GET TESTED immediately!

REASON:

Passenger on flight tested the next day-  test results received on Friday 4/3/20 - positive for covid-19 -  Now hospitalized. Another passenger was tested on Monday 4/6/20 awaiting results.  FOR YOUR OWN PROTECTION TAKE MY ADVISE - GET TESTED IMMEDIATELY.

I can say nothing further.

3 hours ago, Va man said:

Those of us who thought they did an amazing job had no idea anyone was sick. We were thankful to be fed and entertained and know Celebrity was going to get us home.  I am sorry we didn’t know passengers were sick so we could have started praying for them sooner.

Thank you for finally acknowledging this. 

YOUR perception of how Celebrity handled this (unexpected) leg of the cruise is vastly different from those who saw the medical facilities filling up. And that is understandable.  I however, am cringing at the thought of ANYONE  (pax or crew) being exposed to Covid-19 through negligence  or oversight on the part of Celebrity.  Did it happen?Or did it not?? That is the question...

• Like 5

15 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

A captain announcing publicly daily that there was no illness onboard when there have been multiple reports from people here that there was indeed illness onboard is not doing "an amazing job" IMHO.

This is incorrect. Capt Leo DID NOT claim there was no illness on board "daily".  Capt Leo said there were no reports of people with flu-like symptoms early on in the evacuation while we were circling off the coast of San Antonio and while taking provisions in Valparaiso.  There were no signs of COVID-19 at the time.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, chuly said:

As I stated before 4 of our acquaintances who were on the ship have tested positive. One of them is critical in the hospital intubated and unfortunately the anti malaria drug has not worked. Yesterday the family did a massive appeal for a plasma donor recovered from Covid19 and with his blood type. This morning they said 3 persons had volunteered and were waiting to see if they matched. Please have him in your prayers. His wife was admitted today but she is not doing that bad and the other 2 so far are recuperating at home.  Hoping and praying that all of you that have been infected will recover promptly. Stay safe.

chuly that is so unfortunate.  We are all hoping and praying for all of you who were exposed.

2 hours ago, Gimpy McFarlan said:

This is incorrect. Capt Leo DID NOT claim there was no illness on board "daily".  Capt Leo said there were no reports of people with flu-like symptoms early on in the evacuation while we were circling off the coast of San Antonio and while taking provisions in Valparaiso.  There were no signs of COVID-19 at the time.

Someone who was a passenger on that Eclipse cruise said that he made a daily announcement like that up until the 25th when he stopped saying that and they posted that in one of the threads here. I did not make that up.

• Like 2