Azamara refund problems (merged)

larhode

So just to update (and hopefully provide a little reassurance to others), our refund for 11 April cruise from Singapore to Dubai appeared on my credit card this morning. I think it took about 45 days.

20 hours ago, lynsibear said:

Yes kcbates, we also received this letter. It's the only correspondence received from Azamara since the notification of cancellation. Both BA flights and non-refundable hotel have given us cash refunds. So still hoping that Azamara will finally come good! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi diana11

To clarify.....Is it your travel agent that is giving you the vouchers/credit note to be used with the travel agent ,presumably for any future travel booked with them or is it vouchers/credit issued by Azamara note that can be used with Azamara only?

Edited by combine

28 minutes ago, combine said:

Hi diana11

To clarify.....Is it your travel agent that is giving you the vouchers/credit note to be used with the travel agent ,presumably for any future travel booked with them or is it vouchers/credit issued by Azamara note that can be used with Azamara only?

I’m not sure. I got the impression it will be a credit note from the travel agent as our holiday included one night hotel and transfers. This wouldn’t be anywhere near £1500 though and the flights were BA so they should be refunded as cash 

7 minutes ago, diana11 said:

I’m not sure. I got the impression it will be a credit note from the travel agent as our holiday included one night hotel and transfers. This wouldn’t be anywhere near £1500 though and the flights were BA so they should be refunded as cash 

. I can only speak from personal experience as we booked all components ourselves. Hopefully someone else may have a similar experience as yourself. It sounds like the travel agent packaged up the holiday for you with various elements. It would be hard for you to know exactly how much you paid for the cruise unless it was listed separately  on your invoice. If you requested a cash refund from Azamara when the cruise was cancelled rather than FCC, then that is what you should get at some point ( we all know it takes a while!).

The remaining monies from airfare, transfers and hotel accommodation is a different set up.  BA will do cash refunds but they need to be contacted by phone otherwise you will get a future voucher valid until Apr 2022 ( that has just been changed this week).

Your travel agent appears to be holding the purse strings and from what you say the voucher/credit note is something to be used only with that travel agent and not connected to Azamara FCC vouchers?

You may have to delve a bit more deeply for a breakdown of costs. 
Hope you get a more detailed answer from them soon.

10 minutes ago, sunlover33 said:

Hi Diana as the TA has booked you a package holiday you are covered under the 2018 package travel regulations and if your cruise was cancelled by Azamara or substantially changed then you are entitled a full cash refund within 14 days. 
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/749498/package-travel-regulations-2018.pdf#page16

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/my-package-holiday-has-been-changed-or-cancelled

you need to stand firm with them and you may need to threaten court action but if the cruise was Cancelled as opposed to you cancelling the. the law is on your side. 

yes , as above! 

1 hour ago, diana11 said:

They have to by law give you a cash refund if this is what you request. Also as your package was booked by the TA ( not mentioning names) they have to provide the refund not Azamara so you don’t need to wait. 

Edited by sunlover33
  • Like 1

Hopefully this post gives people some hope that their money is coming. I received a full refund for our March 24th cruise. This was not just a deposit but a full refund of over $10,000 which I took in place of the 125% cruise credit. I am still waiting for my 75% refund for the March 9th cruise which was cancelled mid-cruise. They told me they are researching why I haven't gotten the March 9th cruise refund yet. I did get the 50% cruise credit for the March 9th cruise but didn't get the money promised yet. At least now I have much more hope of seeing the money......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

TA called Azamara on April 27 to cancel two August Pursuit cruises.  Full refund of our deposits appeared on my credit card on May 2.

Don't think this would have happened in the UK.  I believe the deposit would have been lost.

I also think that one's personal situation in regard to refunds, affects how this whole affair is viewed.  I would,  I think,  be of the opinion that people should just wait for their refund and it will all be OK in the end if I were not actually owed money by Azamara.

In other words it is easy to say "be patient" if one is not actually waiting for a refund.

Hi, just to let fellow Azamara cruisers know, I today received a credit on my cc from my agent for our cancelled cruise on Pursuit, departure 23 March, for the full refund requested about 45 days ago. Good news, for me obviously, and for others awaiting refunds, I think
I did receive a FCC for 50% of our cruise cancelled whilst onboard, but still await the other half as advised. I am pleased guests are beginning to get their refunds and it gives me more confidence to book an Azamara Cruise in the near future.

I hope others get theirs soon 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mrs Miggins said:

I also think that one's personal situation in regard to refunds, affects how this whole affair is viewed.  I would,  I think,  be of the opinion that people should just wait for their refund and it will all be OK in the end if I were not actually owed money by Azamara.

In other words it is easy to say "be patient" if one is not actually waiting for a refund.

I am waiting for a refund, and I am being patient. Frankly, getting worked up and writing strongly worded letters and ranting here (not that you are ranting, Mrs. M.) does no good.

• Like 5

Well hrhdhd, my patience is wearing thin., so here are a few factual statements :

It is now 59 days of waiting since our 17th March was cruise cancelled by Azamara on 10th March.

Marinara44  was refunded on May 2, just 5 days after cancellation on April 27 of two August cruises.

I am pleased dairoldi has been refunded for March 24 cruise and I sympathise that the cancelled March 9 cruise appears to have been "lost" like the March 17 one.

I am also pleased Thameside has been refunded for the cancelled March 23 cruise 45 days after requesting same. I sympathise that other refund owing also has not yet appeared.

MrsMiggins, I agree "it is easy to say "be patient" if one is not actually waiting for a refund" . . . especially when each day one sees examples similar to those on this page while still awaiting refund for an earlier cancelled cruise.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Baynanno1 said:

Well hrhdhd, my patience is wearing thin., so here are a few factual statements :

It is now 59 days of waiting since our 17th March was cruise cancelled by Azamara on 10th March.

Marinara44  was refunded on May 2, just 5 days after cancellation on April 27 of two August cruises.

I am pleased dairoldi has been refunded for March 24 cruise and I sympathise that the cancelled March 9 cruise appears to have been "lost" like the March 17 one.

I am also pleased Thameside has been refunded for the cancelled March 23 cruise 45 days after requesting same. I sympathise that other refund owing also has not yet appeared.

MrsMiggins, I agree "it is easy to say "be patient" if one is not actually waiting for a refund" . . . especially when each day one sees examples similar to those on this page while still awaiting refund for an earlier cancelled cruise.

My patience is also wearing very thin!  Azamara cancelled our first cruise (scheduled for 28 March) 8 weeks ago and our second cruise (scheduled for 14 April) 6 weeks ago.  We requested refunds for both cruises on 25 March (6 weeks ago tomorrow) through our Travel Agent.  The only communication from Azamara since then was an email 6 days ago saying that some refunds were taking up to 45 days to process and to be reassured that our refunds will be processed.  Well your 45 days is up tomorrow Azamara, so there better be a refund in our account overnight or you can forget any chance that we will cruise with you again! 

We have travelled extensively in the past but this was to be our first Azamara experience.  We are in our mid 60's so potentially many cruise experiences to come.  It seems to me that Azamara is refunding loyalty guests before others, but it defies logic that people whose cruises would have been in several months time would be prioritized over those whose cruise dates have already passed.  I would have thought credits and refunds should logically have been done in chronological order. It does not instill confidence in Azamara's ability to do right by its customers, nor does it inspire me to become one of their loyalty customers.  

• Like 1

BerniceH I can assure you Azamara is not refunding loyalty customers preferentially.

We have done 30 Azamara cruises and hope to do more once this debacle is over.

The onboard experience is excellent!

What irks me and as you say defies logic, is that cruisers who have cancelled their own cruises have been rapidly refunded, while many of those whose cruises were among the first cancelled by Azamara remain in limbo. Noone knows why cruises cancelled by Azamara are not being handled chronologically!

However, the two scenarios are handled by different departments. Fairly obviously the department handling self cancellations is less busy, therefore more efficient. Perhaps some staff should be redistributed?

P.S. 45 days is most probably 45 working days.

Are you in regular contact with your TA? If not perhaps a query would be well and truly in order.

Edited by Baynanno1

2 minutes ago, Baynanno1 said:

BerniceH I can assure you Azamara is not refunding loyalty customers preferentially.

We have done 30 Azamara cruises and hope to do more once this debacle is over.

The onboard experience is excellent!

What irks me and as you say defies logic, is that cruisers who have cancelled their own cruises have been rapidly refunded, while many of those whose cruises were among the first cancelled by Azamara remain in limbo. Noone knows why cruises cancelled by Azamara are not being handled chronologically!

However, the two scenarios are handled by different departments. Fairly obviously the department handling self cancellations is less busy, therefore more efficient. Perhaps some staff should be redistributed?

I have no problem with loyalty customers getting preferential treatment (if this was the case), but there seems to be no logic to how things are being handled.  We booked with Azamara partly because of the itinerary and partly on some friends recommendation, so were expecting a better experience regarding our refunds and for them to be treated in chronological order.

Good news

We have rec'd 75% of our funds back for Journey leaving Singapore for Dubai on April 11.  We waited for the cruise line to cancel.  We made many calls to our TA and filed an audit with our credit card company.  I'm not sure if our time or efforts were the instrument to receive the partial refund...but feeling a little less stress.  Still waiting for 25% and not really sure why we are receiving little bits that do not have any correlation to the various charges for the cruise.  Less stress regardless.   Hoping everyone received their monies due very soon.

1 hour ago, Kcbates said:

Good news

We have rec'd 75% of our funds back for Journey leaving Singapore for Dubai on April 11.  We waited for the cruise line to cancel.  We made many calls to our TA and filed an audit with our credit card company.  I'm not sure if our time or efforts were the instrument to receive the partial refund...but feeling a little less stress.  Still waiting for 25% and not really sure why we are receiving little bits that do not have any correlation to the various charges for the cruise.  Less stress regardless.   Hoping everyone received their monies due very soon.

Great news - our deposit and what I assume to be port fees came separately, as did the shore excursions refund - so hopefully your outstanding funds  are on their way! 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

Q.E.D. ☺️

The phone #s listed on the Azamara website do not work. When called, get the message “thank you, this is Royal Caribbean , this number is no longer in service, please call one of the other #s”. Tried others, same response, so using the phone number on the RCL website, I called them because I have an Oasis Cruise cancelled too. After holding for two hours forty-seven minutes, got nowhere with that cancellation but did get an Azamara phone number.

Called, waited only 19 minutes🙇🏻‍♀️ to be told that my refund was “scheduled” to be returned in three parts: the bulk on May 24th (two weeks from now) and the smaller remaining balance on June 7th (a full month from tomorrow). I asked, if they processed the cancellation a few weeks ago (🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️), why I have to wait for their schedule to “release” the money—- she had no answer. Obviously, since they are “scheduling” refund releases, even though processed, they are holding their customers hostage to their budgeting and their “choices” as to who gets their money first. From my experience, this thread and similar ones on Celebrity and RCL, I know they are not “scheduling” refunds in any kind of chronological order either by when they cancelled or when the guest cancelled. Very frustrating...and extremely annoying...