Now for something completely different

So I guess Devon was named after the place  whoever started making it in Victoria came from.

I know in SA it is called Fritz because that was the first name of the original maker here.

Not the wurst name 🤪

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

In our part of south west Victoria, we called it German sausage and there was also Strasbourg sausage, spelt a couple of different ways. My grandfather, a couple of uncles and cousins were all butchers and the highlight for my children was a visit to one of their shops and given a slice of stras,

image.jpeg.16f95f23792787f60e5ff9b6eb90a1be.jpeg

• Like 3

On 4/16/2024 at 8:28 AM, Blackduck59 said:

Hey Mic, thanks for asking. I have had a bit of enforced absence from here. Spring has sprung and all is abloom.

I had a bit of a spectacular fall last week and have had a few days of work. My ribs are sore but I hope to get back to work tomorrow.

I fell on Tuesday and didn't go to work since then. I already had Thursday and Friday booked off; Lynn's nephew came to be with us as we travelled to Vancouver to inter Granny's ashes as she had wanted. It was a sad reason for a good visit.

Lynn is still working through her grief, she is okay most of the time, but now and then she has a moment. As unfortunate as my fall was it has made it so I can be around for her a few extra days.

Strewth mate, you two take care of yourselves & get better soon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Oh goodness, Aussieflyer, that certainly trumps our drama.  Glad you weren’t more seriously injured, and yes, a miracle the motor cyclist survived.  We’ll be in Devon in a few weeks, after Scotland and Wales.  Devon will be a week’s stay.  I have ancestry, on my father’s side, from Devon and Cornwall.  Leigh’s Rob and I share ancestry a few centuries back.  Amazing who and what you discover on CC🥰

I have ancestry a bit SW of there near the town of Battle. 

Pay attention. We will be in Devon in the middle of next year - there will be questions. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yesterday, a once in a decade event occured when shopping for groceries - I bought some salt😱.

Yes, it takes me about 10 years to get through a 750g cellar of salt. I only use it for putting in water when boiling pasta and to put on chips. We gave up cooking veges in salted water in the early 70s when we bought our first microwave oven.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Yesterday, a once in a decade event occured when shopping for groceries - I bought some salt😱.

Yes, it takes me about 10 years to get through a 750g cellar of salt. I only use it for putting in water when boiling pasta and to put on chips. We gave up cooking veges in salted water in the early 70s when we bought our first microwave oven.

We use little salt, so it also last us a while. Had the price tripled since your last purchase? For once a decade, it must be decadent.

Similarly, salt for pasta & chips are a must for me. Also eggs all ways and fresh tomato. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

We had some Pink Himalayan salt, very confused with the timing of our buying it as it was 250 million years old but with an expiry date of 2024.

picture is an example download-1.jpeg

• Haha 7

1 minute ago, MicCanberra said:

We had some Himalayan salt, very confused with the timing of our buying it as it was 250 million years old but with an expiry date of 2022.

download-1.jpeg

I've also noticed that. Same with honey.

I also have not bought sugar in a long long time. I have a sugar bowl with some raw sugar (bought years ago) for guests who have it  in tea or coffee. Some years ago on a HAL cruise, in Canaletto, we were offered a tray of condiments. The waitress mentioned it included organic salt!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

The waitress mentioned it included organic salt!

That is a real thing.

Lots of table salts are iodised and/or have an anti-caking agent. Organic table salt has neither.

• Like 1

Is it the Princess steak restaurants that have those three amazing salts? One was quite smoky tasting.

I like Murray River salt flakes as they give a nice texture on pork crackling etc.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Is it the Princess steak restaurants that have those three amazing salts? One was quite smoky tasting.

Crown Grill (+ Coral's Bayou) has Pink Himalayan, Black Hawaiian, and the awesome smokey Applewood salt. Three months supply in a serve, but that smoky aroma is really nice.

46 minutes ago, arxcards said:

That is a real thing.

Lots of table salts are iodised and/or have an anti-caking agent. Organic table salt has neither.

Salt, sodium chloride, in non organic as it contains no carbon compounds.

46 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Salt, sodium chloride, in non organic as it contains no carbon compounds.

But for food products, organic also refers to a method of production and processing. There are many "organic" foods that don't contain carbon.

Organic nowadays means many things.

We went to a vineyard whose grapes made were grown using no pesticides or chemicals and no additives during the wine making process. They did have some sheep which would occasionally cut through the vineyard from one paddock to another, rather than go around. To be totally organic the sheep wouldn't be allowed in the vineyard as they had been in sheep dip.

We were told it would cost a sizeable yearly fee to maintain organic certification and as their wines sold so well without certification they decided not to pay for it or claim they were organic on the labels. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

Crown Grill (+ Coral's Bayou) has Pink Himalayan, Black Hawaiian, and the awesome smokey Applewood salt. Three months supply in a serve, but that smoky aroma is really nice.

They're the ones! 

9 hours ago, arxcards said:

I have ancestry a bit SW of there near the town of Battle. 

Pay attention. We will be in Devon in the middle of next year - there will be questions. 😁

My mother's side of the family came from Somerset - South Petherton to be exact. We have never managed to get there though. Some came to Victoria with some settling in the western district and other in Gippsland. There is a Vagg Lane in South Petherton but I think the cottage has gone (as there used to be one). Vaggs Road in Yinnar Victoria is where my grandparents lived.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

We had some Pink Himalayan salt, very confused with the timing of our buying it as it was 250 million years old but with an expiry date of 2024.

picture is an example download-1.jpeg

Interestingly on another board I belong to where there are quite a few medicos, in a discussion on salt they notes that quite a few have low iodine as we don't use salt as much and also Himalayan salt like this (and also the kind I use) isn't iodised. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Aussieflyer said:

My mother's side of the family came from Somerset - South Petherton to be exact. We have never managed to get there though. Some came to Victoria with some settling in the western district and other in Gippsland. There is a Vagg Lane in South Petherton but I think the cottage has gone (as there used to be one). Vaggs Road in Yinnar Victoria is where my grandparents lived.

I have Somerset ancestral lines as well.  Through all the west country, in fact.  My mother’s lines are Scottish, Northern Irish  and west midlands.  I feel I’m home when I’m in the Scottish Highlands.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mareblu said:

I have Somerset ancestral lines as well.  Through all the west country, in fact.  My mother’s lines are Scottish, Northern Irish  and west midlands.  I feel I’m home when I’m in the Scottish Highlands.

My Scottish grandfather came from a long line (no pun intent) of North Sea whitefishers. I'm not sure how far back, at least the 1600s from research so far. Perhaps that's why I feel comfortable at sea, especially when there's a decent swell.

On my mothers side it's almost all Dorset centric.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Aussieflyer said:

Interestingly on another board I belong to where there are quite a few medicos, in a discussion on salt they notes that quite a few have low iodine as we don't use salt as much and also Himalayan salt like this (and also the kind I use) isn't iodised. 

They must not eat a lot variety of foods cause iodine isn't that uncommon😕. You can find it in seafood, eggs or dairy and you don't have to eat lots of it to get enough iodine. If you are really concerned just buy a packet of Nori sheets, seaweed has way more iodine than salt. 

• Like 1