Now for something completely different

46 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Just a word of warning but even with ignore if someone quotes the comment of someone you ignored you will see it displayed in the quote box. Unfortunately one of the downsides of a linear forum format is the ignore button can give you a bit of cheddar cheese effect in threads. 

or even Swiss cheese.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Welcome back Lyle 

We've just got back from a short trip to Melbourne. While we were there we discovered a small outlet centre above Southern Cross Station which has a Strandbags in it. I noticed this bag there and wondered if it was the sort of tote bag you are thinking off. It was AU$99 - not sure what the original price was though. It looked very sturdy.

20240307_144817.thumb.jpg.fc17e61ff904ed7409a6c403bb39512a.jpg

20240307_144808.thumb.jpg.52168ee1e120c4d0eb11e2039c1ac435.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Welcome back Lyle 

We've just got back from a short trip to Melbourne. While we were there we discovered a small outlet centre above Southern Cross Station which has a Strandbags in it. I noticed this bag there and wondered if it was the sort of tote bag you are thinking off. It was AU$99 - not sure what the original price was though. It looked very sturdy.

20240307_144817.thumb.jpg.fc17e61ff904ed7409a6c403bb39512a.jpg

20240307_144808.thumb.jpg.52168ee1e120c4d0eb11e2039c1ac435.jpg

The outlet centre at SCross is part of the chain - several of them around the place - seems that Stranbags is usually there. We go to the Canberra one from time to time - the shop has a reasonable selection of luggage etc. We used to have a really good discount luggage store in Fyshwick but times have been hard and they have more than halved the floor space and cut down on brands - stocking mostly the cheaper/less sturdy ones.

Actually I am looking for a carryon bag to slip over the handle of my case (which is carry one size anyway) - there are a few I am checking out - an Antler one (brand is owned by Strandbags now), a July one, Bric's or Delsey. Will be in Sydney in July so will have a better look then. Depending on price might then buy on line.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Aussieflyer said:

The outlet centre at SCross is part of the chain - several of them around the place - seems that Stranbags is usually there. We go to the Canberra one from time to time - the shop has a reasonable selection of luggage etc. We used to have a really good discount luggage store in Fyshwick but times have been hard and they have more than halved the floor space and cut down on brands - stocking mostly the cheaper/less sturdy ones.

Actually I am looking for a carryon bag to slip over the handle of my case (which is carry one size anyway) - there are a few I am checking out - an Antler one (brand is owned by Strandbags now), a July one, Bric's or Delsey. Will be in Sydney in July so will have a better look then. Depending on price might then buy on line.

Yes, Strandbags is often in outlet centres. I've been to the one at South Wharf before but didn't even know there was an outlet centre at Southern Cross. 

I hate the Sydney outlet centre at Homebush, it's a nightmare, but I've always found things I want at the Melbourne ones. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, Strandbags is often in outlet centres. I've been to the one at South Wharf before but didn't even know there was an outlet centre at Southern Cross. 

I hate the Sydney outlet centre at Homebush, it's a nightmare, but I've always found things I want at the Melbourne ones. 

The outlet centre at Southern Cross (Spencer Outlet Centre) has been there for years Julie. 

9 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Whoopsie. Now I have an excuse for a trip to the shop to re-educate myself on cheese😝😋🧀

I stood there for 20 minutes, but thought it was all too boring ...

aaa.thumb.webp.1ce89cec85b0c7f441cac87a275daac9.webp

• Haha 6

9 hours ago, arxcards said:

I stood there for 20 minutes, but thought it was all too boring ...

aaa.thumb.webp.1ce89cec85b0c7f441cac87a275daac9.webp

Wow, no wonder blokes who are sent out to buy some cheese come back with the wrong one (sorry blokes) 😉

11 hours ago, possum52 said:

The outlet centre at Southern Cross (Spencer Outlet Centre) has been there for years Julie. 

But in past visits to Melbourne we never went to that part of town so I never discovered it. We probably would still be oblivious to it's existence if we hadn't gone to the Angliss Restaurant for lunch.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

But in past visits to Melbourne we never went to that part of town so I never discovered it. We probably would still be oblivious to it's existence if we hadn't gone to the Angliss Restaurant for lunch.

I knew it was there because I used Southern Cross station quite a bit when I would take the VLine bus to see my mother in Leongatha - so was often wandering around filling in time. But you are right - if you don't go to the area, it is hard to fine especially as it is upstairs.

4 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It was originally the Spencer Street DFO which opened around 2006. It really didn't do very well as a DFO and was revamped in 2013 and then again a few years later. I haven't been there for ages but we would occasionally have lunch or dinner there or a coffee on the way to Marvel Stadium for the football.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Now here is something different for cruisers to do when they're visiting a port they've already been to a few times -  mystery picnics or tours. Not cheap but they sound like fun. 

https://www.amazingco.me/us

Looks like really well organised activities, in Canberra too.  Thanks Julie.

Now that does sound interesting and as it happens I am going to Mclarenvale on the June long weekend - not on a cruise, I live in SA.

Might do the mystery picnic and let you know how it goes.

( not sure what happens if you don't solve the clues and get your goodies though) 

1 hour ago, Kristelle said:

Now that does sound interesting and as it happens I am going to Mclarenvale on the June long weekend - not on a cruise, I live in SA.

Might do the mystery picnic and let you know how it goes.

( not sure what happens if you don't solve the clues and get your goodies though) 

Hopefully you'd also get a sealed envelope containing a list of all the outlets listed in full and a map.

19 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

This is my final tribute of love and respect for Granny (my name for Lynn's mom).

GrannyBox.thumb.jpg.90d3d9e5b78bece298351748a0d8f950.jpg

How absolutely beautiful, Lyle.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

This is my final tribute of love and respect for Granny (my name for Lynn's mom).

What a wonderful gesture Lyle. Fantastic woodwork.

• Thanks 1

I've got a travel tote with the thing that fits over the handle of my rolling suitcase.  I discovered that this part is called a "trolley sleeve". Once you know that (which I didn't), you can find a range of them online in Australia, like this one:

www.ebay.com.au/itm/134795531102?

Edited by cruiser3775

1 hour ago, cruiser3775 said:

I've got a travel tote with the thing that fits over the handle of my rolling suitcase.  I discovered that this part is called a "trolley sleeve". Once you know that (which I didn't), you can find a range of them online in Australia, like this one:

www.ebay.com.au/itm/134795531102?

After a trip to Europe in 2004 which involved train travel we ditched our very large wheeled suitcases in favour of medium large spinners and overnight bags that fit on top. We've been using this combo ever since. The red bag is the overnight bag which has a trolley sleeve so fits on top of the big suitcase - the other two are our carry-ons.

20240211_150830.thumb.jpg.6c8bc1bab16f0e535ef1532545c97a15.jpg

Two spinners and two overnight bags were all we ever needed until we went to the US in 2018. The baggage limits are different on US flights - you can't have a bag over 23kg but you can have more bags. So we bought an extra, slightly smaller spinner. Luckily I figured out how to handle two spinner bags and a wheelie carry-on. Rolf is going to have to learn this trick too as we have decided we will need an extra smaller spinner for the world cruise!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Are there ashes in the box, Lyle?