Now for something completely different

7 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks Leigh. In my head we will de starting in Port Campbell and heading to Camperdown to visit our friend there for a few hours then carry on from there to Ballarat for our last night before we turn in the car in Melbourne. We then have 3 nights in Melbourne. Hopefully I haven't made too lofty of a plan for the port Campbell to Ballarat leg.

No, Lyle, it is fine. It should be less than 3 hours drive all up. Have you booked Craigs Hotel in Ballarat? I'm not sure if I told you my brother and sister in law who had been holidaying in Victoria stayed a couple of nights at Craig's. My SIL loves historical buildings and was keen to stay there. 

If you do the ferry to Queenscliff, there are plenty of accommodation choices there, instead of going into Geelong to stay. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I spend quite a bit of time over on the HAL board and when you spend time somewhere you get a read on the frequent posters. I saw that @MicCanberra started a thread about the staffing levels in the MDR on their recent cruise. I could not believe some of the posts on that thread. Some people seem to AssUme that because someone isn't a regular on that board that they need to school them as to how it is in cruising. Mic you showed remarkable restraint. There was also another thread ranting about how people walking on the promenade should adopt the "American Standard" of walking on the right. Some of us took exception to that, most notably a retired ship's master with Years of sea time both on the bridge and as a passenger. So then the OP decided to quote Andy (yes I know the retired ship's master, we met for lunch last year when he was in Victoria), probably not a great plan. I did enjoy reading his response. One of many reasons I prefer the group on these boards.

We have pretty much set the itinerary for "The Great Australian Meet & Greet Tour" We are so grateful for our CC friends who have invited us to visit and happy we will have the time to spend without having to get back to work. It is nice to think that this trip which we have been planning since 2019 will finally happen in less than a year.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I spend quite a bit of time over on the HAL board and when you spend time somewhere you get a read on the frequent posters. I saw that @MicCanberra started a thread about the staffing levels in the MDR on their recent cruise. I could not believe some of the posts on that thread. Some people seem to AssUme that because someone isn't a regular on that board that they need to school them as to how it is in cruising. Mic you showed remarkable restraint. There was also another thread ranting about how people walking on the promenade should adopt the "American Standard" of walking on the right. Some of us took exception to that, most notably a retired ship's master with Years of sea time both on the bridge and as a passenger. So then the OP decided to quote Andy (yes I know the retired ship's master, we met for lunch last year when he was in Victoria), probably not a great plan. I did enjoy reading his response. One of many reasons I prefer the group on these boards.

We have pretty much set the itinerary for "The Great Australian Meet & Greet Tour" We are so grateful for our CC friends who have invited us to visit and happy we will have the time to spend without having to get back to work. It is nice to think that this trip which we have been planning since 2019 will finally happen in less than a year.

Cheers Lyle, I can usually let the ranters slide by and fully expected some cheerleaders for HAL as well. But I did get some confirmation of what I suspected, which is that service consistency wasn't just off on our cruise but is fleet wide. It may take an exceptional itinerary to coax us back to HAL.

BTW we wil be in Sydney for the 20 February 2025 now, at the Rendezvous hotel in the Rocks, so we can always catch up for dinner that night.

• Like 2

Curiosity drove me to scan the HAL threads.  The Promenade Walking Direction one is hysterical.  The MDR thread you're discussing is fascinating.  You had every right to question the standard when you were left for such long periods waiting for initial, then subsequent service attention.  However, if you think the HAL threads (and I've only visited these two mentioned) are contentious, you should try the Oceania threads.  There are a couple of regulars with obsessive topics who intervene in any innocent or convivial thread with "their" trigger words.  I can also usually let things slide, but when I'm really pushed, I do tend to respond.  You may remember the Cunard posting about why Cunard was cutting services to Australia some time ago that really sparked my reaction, and drew grateful support from many on here.  This time, I have scored my first black mark for responding, in admittedly scathing tones, to a regular Oceania who frequently oversteps the boundaries of courtesy and respect, usually in an aggressive and disturbing way.  I readily admit that my response was too derisive, even if it drew much support from Oceania regulars.  It's something I didn't expect to see on my page, but I'm not sorry I did it, just sorry I didn't pay more attention to a more mature put-down.  He's been polite ever since, and at least I wasn't suspended.  A warning's a warning, though, and I accept my black mark.  It's true though, as Lyle says, that some people do feel they "own" topics, or even any commentary on particular cruise lines.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

If only they had the common sense to check Mic's signature before starting their little rants.

We had similar issues on the Westerdam cruise we did over Christmas 2022, except we were doing traditional dining. We were lucky to have table companions who were very interesting otherwise we would have been even more annoyed than we were, It was very obvious after a couple of days that our waiters had too many people to serve - three tables of six and one table of at least eight. They just couldn't cope. Every second day they would mix up the orders. Also it took a few days for us to train them about serving wines by the glass - we want it with our food not ten minutes after that course has arrived. The others on our table had bottled wine packages so it was easier for them. 

• Like 2

I was following Mics thread over on HAL but I restrained myself from getting involved knowing Mic is a smart bloke who can look after himself. His initial post was fairly innocous but it certainly caused some to get their knickers in a twist.

FYI Mic, my last four cruises have been HAL, two pre and two post COVID on four different HAL ships.

I have noticed a difference in service, mainly, fewer servers trying hard to maintain HAL's previously high standard. I have always done my-time dining on HAL and have no complaints at all. Since COVID, I feel service has become a little slower but that suits me (and my cruising companions) as we like sharing tables and it allows time for easy, interesting and relaxed conversation with other diners.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

OK I confess, the curiosity got me, and I checked the HAL boards for the comments. Opinions are like a certain body orifice; we ALL have one. I commend Mic for maintaining his decorum. The cruise overall was good, minus the hiccups in the MDR. Mic, by your upcoming itineraries you don't let bumps in the road stop you. THAT is what counts. Good Job. You guys are living life right. Safe Travels. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Thanks all, Egypt is the next trip.

Once you've dealt with an Egyptian vendor you'll find those HAL gatekeepers reasonable😂. They have become infamous for their aggressive sales tactics. Even a no thanks is an invitation and they will chase you all around the Pyramids trying to sell you a Sphinx statuette 😜. Still worth putting up with for those amazing archaeological sites. Have a wonderful trip👍

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

There is a Nile River cruise.

I have done an Egypt land tour with a four night river cruise. It was excellent however (warning Will Robinson) Egyptian 5* rating of river ships does not align with our experience - closer to 3*. Having said that, iot was still an enjoyable cruise. Our tour included Alexandria in the north (with  a side trip to El Alamein) as well as Abu Simbel in the south. It was a trip deal and very well run, especially using mini-busses in Cairo instead of coaches due to traffic conjestion.

There was an optional tour to Saqqara which I passed on and now regret. If you get the chance go there.

The hawkers are no different to anywhere else. One trick they try is to offer you something to buy then "accidently" drop it. If you, being polite, pick it up, you've bought it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Ours is a trip deal as well. No Alexandria, but does have Abu Simbal and also Hurgada

Another point. TaD asked for everyone's insurance details on arrival in Cairo.

It's a trip I would like to do again.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Another point. TaD asked for everyone's insurance details on arrival in Cairo.

It's a trip I would like to do again.

Noted, we always have travel insurance.

I am pretty sure I can avoid any pyramid schemes, or am I just in denial.

• Haha 6

56 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Noted, we always have travel insurance.

I am pretty sure I can avoid any pyramid schemes, or am I just in denial.

That would be embarrassing.  Just keep mum about it.

• Haha 3

So we are now working out the logistics for Lynn's Insulin. A 9 week supply is difficult to travel with being it has to be kept cold. I am thinking it would be prudent to buy more in Australia or New Zealand. Unfortunately we are concerned about getting a valid prescription to use down there. We will of course have copies of all our prescriptions but of course they will likely not be valid outside of Canada. Any suggestions are welcome.

17 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

So we are now working out the logistics for Lynn's Insulin. A 9 week supply is difficult to travel with being it has to be kept cold. I am thinking it would be prudent to buy more in Australia or New Zealand. Unfortunately we are concerned about getting a valid prescription to use down there. We will of course have copies of all our prescriptions but of course they will likely not be valid outside of Canada. Any suggestions are welcome.

I’m sure Lynn’s prescription can be filled here.  We have in the past filled scripts in the UK, so I can’t see the difference.  I will enquire for hou with our local Pharmacy tomorrow (Monday).

3 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

I’m sure Lynn’s prescription can be filled here.  We have in the past filled scripts in the UK, so I can’t see the difference.  I will enquire for hou with our local Pharmacy tomorrow (Monday).

Lynn says thankyou, you are so kind. I have to believe it will be easier to refill the prescription there than try to keep that much insulin cold for that long.

4 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Lynn says thankyou, you are so kind. I have to believe it will be easier to refill the prescription there than try to keep that much insulin cold for that long.

It’s a pleasure, Lynn, and no trouble.  I’ll email you as soon as I speak to Veronica.  

• Like 1