Who cruised on the Festivale?

pghsteelerfan

I just noticed a similar post about cruising on the Jubilee and thought about our first cruise on Festivale.  It was our honeymoon and was the June 14, 1992 - June 21, 1992 sailing.  We sailed out of San Juan and went to St. Thomas; St. Maarten; Dominica (1/2 day); Barbados (long day - till 9 or 10PM); Martinique; sea day.  I just wish I had a digital camera then, the islands were just so pretty and on our last sea day, we passed so many others.  We've now been on a total of 6 cruises with Carnival and were booked on Magic for the May 9, 2020 sailing and we all know that's not happening.  We have Fascination out of San Juan booked in 2021 on one of the alternate itineraries Carnival is offering out of San Juan in 2021.  We have a L O N G wait, but it will be worth it. 

Attaching some old scanned pics and other memorabilia I have from Festivale.  I have luggage tags as well, so need to get them scanned too.  If any of you were also on Festivale or have pics/other memorabilia, please feel free to share! 

Festivale in St. Thomas
enhance

Lido on the last sea day
enhance

Carnival Capers - now the "Fun Times"

enhance

enhance

Ship water color place mats Carnival used give to passengers. 

enhance

Post Card

enhance

Boarding passes
enhance

This was the ship map - don't know why I didn't scan the other side

enhance

Our brochure when we chose our cruise

enhance

enhance

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, pghsteelerfan said:

You're very welcome! 

I hope you don't mind if I add a few of your pics

to that photo album I assembled...of the first few Carnival ships?

These are an important part of Carnival cruise history.

thanks for the memories..in 1979 & 1980 when I lived in Seattle we cruised on Carnival's Mardi Gras, Carnivale & Festivale and had an absolute ball ..I made an album of each as a present to my then GF but she got married in in 1982 and we have lost track of each other and I'm sure she " archived " those albums prior to her wedding ...lol 

we stayed in an inside cabin on all 3 (which was fine because we were seldom in the cabin ) and I don't remember any of the ships having balcony cabins 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

I hope you don't mind if I add a few of your pics

to that photo album I assembled...of the first few Carnival ships?

These are an important part of Carnival cruise history.

I don't mind at all!  I'm hoping others share more.  Love the thread someone started for Jubilee.  Hoping others for Carnivale and Mardi Gras pop up too. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, James4me said:

We’re there any balcony cabins on this ship?

I'm not even sure.  Looking at the pic in the brochure and the post card, there were possibly some balconies at the back of the ship.  We were in a cabin with a port hole window.  I have that whole catalog that I attached two pics of.  I'll look through that and see and will get back to you.

7 minutes ago, hattack said:

thanks for the memories..in 1979 & 1980 when I lived in Seattle we cruised on Carnival's Mardi Gras, Carnivale & Festivale and had an absolute ball ..I made an album of each as a present to my then GF but she got married in in 1982 and we have lost track of each other and I'm sure she " archived " those albums prior to her wedding ...lol 

we stayed in an inside cabin on all 3 (which was fine because we were seldom in the cabin ) and I don't remember any of the ships having balcony cabins 

Those albums would have been so nice to have now.  Our cabin had a port hole window.  I just wish I had a digital camera then!  I get any interior pics, except for the wait staff in the dining room when they'd sing.  Even with the flash, I was afraid to waste film on the inside of the ship because I didn't think they'd even come out. 

24 minutes ago, James4me said:

I have the brochure out with the deck plans and cabin types - hope easy enough to read.  I don't see any listed as "balcony", but that's not saying there weren't balcony.  Maybe someone else will know and if so, hope they can answer.  Attaching those pics:

These aren't the best quality since I took pics with my phone.
enhance

enhance

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pghsteelerfan said:

I have the brochure out with the deck plans and cabin types - hope easy enough to read.  I don't see any listed as "balcony", but that's not saying there weren't balcony.  Maybe someone else will know and if so, hope they can answer.  Attaching those pics:

These aren't the best quality since I took pics with my phone.
enhance

enhance

Wow thank you for showing this!

• Like 2

According to Ford's Deckplan Guide (1988 Edition), Veranda Deck staterooms V9,  10, 14, 15, 18, 19, 22, 23, 26, and 27 all had balconies. If you look closely at the scanned deckplans above, you can see where the balcony doors are depicted in the staterooms.

Garnett

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, N7786W Flyer said:

According to Ford's Deckplan Guide (1988 Edition), Veranda Deck staterooms V9,  10, 14, 15, 18, 19, 22, 23, 26, and 27 all had balconies. If you look closely at the scanned deckplans above, you can see where the balcony doors are depicted in the staterooms.

Garnett

I just looked at the plans scanned and again at the brochure and I do see where those staterooms had doors.  Just looked at the actual pictures of Festivale again as well, and I can clearly see where those balconies are.  Thank you! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James4me said:

I'm not sure if you're still following or not, but I have confirmation from N7786W Flyer, that yes, there were balcony cabins on Festivale.  He listed them and mentioned that you can see the doors on the deck plans.  They are on Veranda Deck toward the front.  I cropped the picture from the brochure and circled where I believe those balcony cabins are:

enhance

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

listed cabin price included round trip air fare to San Juan.in 1992 ..heck of a deal ..in the mid 70's when I first started cruising  it was not as popular vacation option as it is today ..when did cruising explode in popularity 

14 minutes ago, hattack said:

listed cabin price included round trip air fare to San Juan.in 1992 ..heck of a deal ..in the mid 70's when I first started cruising  it was not as popular vacation option as it is today ..when did cruising explode in popularity 

So glad it was a good deal since I had no idea how much it cost at the time.  My husband's late father was a TA specializing in cruises, so this cruise (honeymoon) was our wedding gift from my husband's parents.  We picked the cruise and they paid for all of it, so I had no idea what they paid until I later saw the invoices which my husband had in a folder in our basement.  This was only a couple years ago when he was going through things and cleaning out.  I was shocked at the prices since we've been able to cruise for a lot less more recently.  It definitely wasn't as popular then but my husband's parents had been on a few cruises and fell in love with it.  We were hooked after our Festivale cruise but didn't get to cruise again until 8 years later, this time it was with my husband's whole family as a Christmas gift from his parents. 

I'm not even sure when cruising exploded in popularity, but it really did.  It's an overall great way to vacation and sample different places at once. 

my thinking there is a link between the popularity of cruising and when the Airline industry underwent deregulation in the late 70's.( hub and spoke) ..this allowed the cruise lines to market with the airlines to produce a competitive produce for Middle America to compete with Las Vegas (fill airplane seats and cruise cabins )..I remember in the 70's Cunard had a deal when you could cruise to an island, stay there for a week and cruise back in the same cabin 

I remember when Carnival introduced the Tropicale (1st newly built ) that was a big deal to fill cabins so it forced the cruise lines to market to middle America vs upscale older more demographics 

20 minutes ago, hattack said:

my thinking there is a link between the popularity of cruising and when the Airline industry underwent deregulation in the late 70's.( hub and spoke) ..this allowed the cruise lines to market with the airlines to produce a competitive produce for Middle America to compete with Las Vegas (fill airplane seats and cruise cabins )..I remember in the 70's Cunard had a deal when you could cruise to an island, stay there for a week and cruise back in the same cabin 

I remember when Carnival introduced the Tropicale (1st newly built ) that was a big deal to fill cabins so it forced the cruise lines to market to middle America vs upscale older more demographics 

I never even knew any of that since I was still pretty young and not aware of the airline industry's deregulation.  I do remember all of the Kathy Lee commercials for Carnival though.  She's actually in that brochure I have, which has all of the ships Carnival had at the time.  I only scanned the Festivale section. 

Now that deal that Cunard had that you mentioned, cruise to an island, stay a week and cruise back in the same cabin would be nice.  I would love to see something like that again.  There are so many islands we've been to that I'd love to spend more time.  Of course, I guess we can fly there.  Thanks for the information. 

• Like 1

if my failing memory serves me correct, Cunard owned a resort on the selective islands that was part of the package..today's modern day inventory would probably not allow it, but I suspect if once Richard Branson successfully launches his Virgin Cruise product will probably follow that model ..he does own a nice private island in the Bahamas 

the original intention of cruising was to give vacationers a "taste of the island" with hopes that travelers would come back and book a package to spend time on the island 

yea Kathy Lee and Carnival had a nice run together as did the Love Boat tv series ..from time to time Decades TV channel has a week end binge of Love Boat reruns and its become a popular drinking game to watch it and pick out all the flaws and marketing placements ..can't argue with success 

based upon the CV 19 snap back...I see an opportunity for domestic River Cruising to gain footing and the trend for Mega Ships holding 6000 declining 

23 minutes ago, hattack said:

if my failing memory serves me correct, Cunard owned a resort on the selective islands that was part of the package..today's modern day inventory would probably not allow it, but I suspect if once Richard Branson successfully launches his Virgin Cruise product will probably follow that model ..he does own a nice private island in the Bahamas 

the original intention of cruising was to give vacationers a "taste of the island" with hopes that travelers would come back and book a package to spend time on the island 

yea Kathy Lee and Carnival had a nice run together as did the Love Boat tv series ..from time to time Decades TV channel has a week end binge of Love Boat reruns and its become a popular drinking game to watch it and pick out all the flaws and marketing placements ..can't argue with success 

based upon the CV 19 snap back...I see an opportunity for domestic River Cruising to gain footing and the trend for Mega Ships holding 6000 declining 

I hope Richard Branson/Virgin Cruise will follow that model.  I think I'd really enjoy that.  The only "island resort" vacation we've done was in Jamaica (Negril, the west coast) in 2007 and we loved that and would love to do it again. 

And "Love Boat", I'd watch that occasionally when it was originally on and in reruns back in the '80's, but since you brought up cruising becoming popular, I'm sure "Love Boat" may have been part of it too.  Didn't that originally come on in the mid to late '70's?  We NEED to watch that again...that drinking game would definitely be fun.  I have some friends who would definitely be game for that!  Lol! 

Someday I'd love to cruise down the whole Mississippi, I'd really enjoy that.  We have never been on a mega ship and our largest have actually been Carnival's Conquest Class (Glory, Valor, and twice on Liberty).  We were booked on Magic this May, but that was canceled, obviously.  We have a cruise booked on Fascination in 2021 out of San Juan on one of the itineraries that stop at some of the islands that Carnival usually doesn't sail to and really looking forward to that.  The itinerary out of San Juan is our favorite. 

1 hour ago, Sillyjilly said:

Oops. It was the Tropicale we were on, not the Festivale.

I did actually see your original post in the email (Mexican Riviera).  We did that on RCCL in 2000 with my husband's whole family and loved it.  We were booked on Carnival Magic for this May, which was obviously canceled.  We were considering booking Panorama for a Mexican Riviera cruise this fall, but decided not to since we don't know how long this whole situation with Covid will continue.  That is one itinerary we'd love to do again and I definitely need a re do - I only had a film camera in 2000 and do remember it, but would love to experience it again and be able to get more pictures.  We went to Cabo, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta.