Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Good evening all,

 

Thinking about doing a TA in the future departing from Southampton, UK.  For any cruisers that have flown in to do this in the past, a couple of quick questions.

 

Did you fly into London or Southampton?

 

If London, how did you get to the port? (Train/Transfer/etc)

 

Did you stay a couple nights prior to departure and if so, any recommendations? (For either London or Southampton)

 

Thanks in advance!

Link to post
Share on other sites

We   did opposite  direction  but 

Fly into LHR or Gatwick  

Not many international flights to SOU 😉

 We used  a car service  from Hotel in Southampton to LHR  but  if you are coming in  a day or so early you could take  the National express bus  from LHR to  Southampton bus terminal  then a taxi to the hotel or walk depending on the location

If staying in London prior  there is  a train from Central London to Southampton  & again the National Express bus

  We stayed  at Mercure Dolphin in Southampton

https://all.accor.com/hotel/7876/index.en.shtml?utm_campaign=seo+maps&utm_medium=seo+maps&utm_source=google+Maps

We stayed in the  units out back  of the main hotel which were  very nice 

We stayed in the  Adonia  suite

Adonia unit  last one  bottom floor

Good location within walking distance  to restaurants  & the mall 

 You could also ask on the British Isles forum under the ports of Call for other  recommendations

 We loved Southampton  & spent 3 days  there  would love to return to  maybe  go to Portsmouth or  surrounding  towns

 Enjoy

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the information.  We're debating flying in a week early and spending time in both London and Southampton.  There are so many places we would like to visit we may just have to do it a couple of times. 🙂 

 

Not sure what airfare will be like next year but if we went this year, it's currently only around $200 USD per person one way. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, badvector said:

Thank you for the information.  We're debating flying in a week early and spending time in both London and Southampton.  There are so many places we would like to visit we may just have to do it a couple of times. 🙂 

 

Not sure what airfare will be like next year but if we went this year, it's currently only around $200 USD per person one way. 

$200 ??

I would  grab it  LOL

I use  this  site  to check  routings & pricing  then book with the airline

https://matrix.itasoftware.com/ 

use the multi city tab

 

You have plenty of time to plan  if  doing it next year

If you have the time   then spend  several days in each city  allow  for  the jet lag on arrival day

Enjoy

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/25/2020 at 4:39 PM, badvector said:

Good evening all,

 

Thinking about doing a TA in the future departing from Southampton, UK.  For any cruisers that have flown in to do this in the past, a couple of quick questions.

 

Did you fly into London or Southampton?

 

If London, how did you get to the port? (Train/Transfer/etc)

 

Did you stay a couple nights prior to departure and if so, any recommendations? (For either London or Southampton)

 

Thanks in advance!

 

Sailed from Southampton many times, but have never flown in and headed directly to the port. However, as per previous post you have multiple limo options and the National Express Bus. LHR does not have direct train service to Southampton.

 

We usually stay in London a few days, staying in the vicinity of Waterloo Station, which is the departure station for Southampton. Have stayed at the Travelodge Waterloo, which is a couple of hundred yards from the Train & Tube Station. In Southampton, we normally use the Novotel, which is again a few hundred yards from Southampton Central Station.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Gatwick would be the closest major airport.  Easy connection to Southampton via the National Express bus service.  There is a NE terminal inside the airport.  The NE is a very enjoyable bus ride...excellent service.  Then a short taxi ride at Southampton to the ship or hotel.  
 

Why would you want to stay in Southampton when there are so many interesting places to stay?  You can stay in London and take the train to Southampton...less than 2 hours by rail from Waterloo.  If you want to avoid the insanity of London you can stay on the South coast.  We always spend a few days to unwind before sailing.  We love staying in Brighton...wonderful hotels and lots to see and do...great fish and chips.  The Southern Rail connects with all the major cities and towns along the coast and offers great service to Southampton.  Less than 2 hours from Brighton to Southampton.  Then a short taxi ride to the ship.  
 

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
Link to post
Share on other sites

Some may like Southampton  after London or in lieu of the busy city

We enjoyed  it 

You can catch the train to Portsmouth/ Winchester or Isle  of Wight 

different strokes 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone for all of the info so far.  LHT28 pretty much nailed it.  We would like to visit the busy city for a couple of days but would like to get back in the relaxed mode prior to jumping on a ship.  Personally, I've always been a fan of finding local restaurants, artists and musicians that are hidden in smaller communities that rival what's found in larger cities.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, badvector said:

Thanks everyone for all of the info so far.  LHT28 pretty much nailed it.  We would like to visit the busy city for a couple of days but would like to get back in the relaxed mode prior to jumping on a ship.  Personally, I've always been a fan of finding local restaurants, artists and musicians that are hidden in smaller communities that rival what's found in larger cities.  

In Southampton you can be busy or laid back

 We liked the location near the High St for restaurants  pubs  where you interact with the locals

Do some research on the areas  & see what works for you

I would love to spend more time  there

Enjoy

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

We were supposed to come home TA July 24th. Sailing was canx.  We opted for the 125% credit rather than a refund and this will be next year's trip.  But we opted for Cunard's air.  Had we been able to go this year, their cost was $161.  JFK/London.  For any of the T/A's we've on repo sailings, we've NEVER been able to get a price better than what the cruise line offered.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Assuming you're flying from DTW or ORD, you'll probably have a better choice of flights to LHR than LGW, nothing to SOU. I'd definitely want to head for London several days early, then a day or two early to Southampton. The National Express bus station in Southampton is near the rail station. I'm more of an Ibis Budget person, it's next to the Novotel, there are several other good choices close to the High street.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We have always flown into LHR....never been through Gatwick so I cannot speak to it. We usually gone straight to Southampton. We always just take the National Express which is cheap and very easy.

 

Southampton has great pub food( in the pubs of course) and a lively market situation with food and musicians. There is also a very large Mall.....both by the port.

 

Doug

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
On 4/25/2020 at 8:48 PM, LHT28 said:

.

  We stayed  at Mercure Dolphin in Southampton

https://all.accor.com/hotel/7876/index.en.shtml?utm_campaign=seo+maps&utm_medium=seo+maps&utm_source=google+Maps

We stayed in the  units out back  of the main hotel which were  very nice 

We stayed in the  Adonia  suite

Adonia unit  last one  bottom floor

Good location within walking distance  to restaurants  & the mall 

 You could also ask on the British Isles forum under the ports of Call for other  recommendations

 We loved Southampton  & spent 3 days  there  would love to return to  maybe  go to Portsmouth or  surrounding  towns

 Enjoy

 

Several years ago, we stayed at Mercure Dolphin in Southampton. When we entered the room, We found:

Earplugs.thumb.JPG.51c6bc7d35fa683fab88514dd8922e80.JPG

 

We got a room facing the street. It was noisy at night. I would not go back.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, stag said:

 

Several years ago, we stayed at Mercure Dolphin in Southampton. When we entered the room, We found:

 

 

We got a room facing the street. It was noisy at night. I would not go back.

 

 

We were not in the main hotel  but our unit was in the row units out back

It was Easter weekend  but  we did not have any issues with noise 

I was surprised  because the bathroom window looked right onto the parking area

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

I should book just one day in Southampton as it reduces virtually all last day transport curtailments worries. If you "miss the boat" on a TA it cannot be rectified.  To be close to the port Leonardos  Grand Harbour Hotel Southampton or Holiday Inn Herbert Walker Avenue are two worth thinking about. If you like Hilton Hotels the Hampshire Cricket Ground   The Hilton Ageas Bowl is excellent particularly if you get a balcony overlooking the pitch.

 

Regards John

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...