Difference in YC suite rooms help?

MrMike45

Now that the 2020 cruise season is officially shot for us living (and sailing) out of NY, we’re looking towards 2021 season. 

Looking at the Divina. They have a YC deluxe suite and a YC Grand Deluxe suite. But I can’t tell the difference other than a few hundred dollars per person. 

The Deluxe suite description is fairly informative. Room is approx 300-340 sq feet with a 64 sq ft balcony. Floor layout plan is there as well as a virtual 360 tour. 

The Grand Deluxe suite is like $250 more pp. The description is useless and it says “coming summer 2020” which obviously didn’t happen. The room and balcony size listed is in square meters not feet. But doing a conversion it actually works out to the room being significantly smaller. There is no 360 tour. And the floor layout is the same as the normal deluxe suite. 

So what am I missing? What’s makes these rooms worth $250 more per person? Any of the super informative MSC regulars know? Or since these were new this summer it’s a mystery?

Hi Mike, on Divina MSC reclassified the four "square" YC Deluxe balcony cabins on each deck to the higher priced "Grand" name.  They used to all be the same price but people preferered the square ones as I think they are a little bigger, however the layout feels much more spacious.  MSC used to hold these back because they held more people then there was a wild dash to move to one as MSC made them available.  MSC is just taking advantage of the high demand.

• Like 2

That looks like a nice room. But the cruise I’m looking at is an odd itinerary. Head north to Boston and Maine, and then head south to Bermuda for 3 days. So not only shorts...but funky Bermuda shorts!!!

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, MrMike45 said:

That looks like a nice room. But the cruise I’m looking at is an odd itinerary. Head north to Boston and Maine, and then head south to Bermuda for 3 days. So not only shorts...but funky Bermuda shorts!!!

I wore shorts on Meraviglia during the day and in the YC Restaurant and Lounge during the day and never an eyebrow was lifted that I saw.  (And, if one was, I would have cared less!)

We sailed in the YC , Meraviglia this past March. Shorts, jeans, bathrobes were allowed in the dining room for breakfast and lunch. For dinner, shorts, jeans and casual clothes were worn. Elegant night, some folks really dressed up, but most came in nice resort casual. Never saw anyone turned away for being "under dressed".

The YC experience for us was one of the best cruises we have ever taken. Do your research, learn what to expect and just go with the flow. Treat your Butler and the assistant well and they will try to make your cruise special. Same with the staff in the lounge and pool area. A smile and thank you go a long way. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Our very first cruise was on the Divina... we loved it despite not even knowing about the YC.  Next was Seaside YC and we swore we would never do less than that.  We were on the Meraviglia in November and it was the best YC experience yet.  We are wanting to go back to the Divina and try out YC and are leaning toward this squarish Grand Suite. 

My husband who cannot walk without assistance uses a mobility scooter and walker and we usually get HA suites.  However, we had to use a non-HA on the Meraviglia and it worked well for him; there was enough room for him to get into the cabin and get his scooter parked out of the way in the cabin.  The step up into the bathroom, while posing a little inconvenience, was doable.  The gorgeous shower in the the Meraviglia worked very well for him too.  

Is it a tub/shower combination on the Divina?  Any photos of it?  Any other restrictions anyone can see in booking a Grand Suite?

Thanks for the help!

On 5/30/2020 at 2:15 PM, Boschmann said:

....Divina MSC reclassified the four "square" YC Deluxe balcony cabins on each deck to the higher priced "Grand" name.  They used to all be the same price but people preferered the square ones as I think they are a little bigger, however the layout feels much more spacious....

Yes, much more spacious cabin and the balcony is longer too (because of wider cabin). For those who have been in Meraviglia suites, this is similar....and if you choose the normal deluxe cabin on Divina or Preziosa it is significantly narrower and feels more like a balcony cabin than a suite!

On 7/11/2020 at 12:20 PM, hamrag said:

Yes, much more spacious cabin and the balcony is longer too (because of wider cabin). For those who have been in Meraviglia suites, this is similar....and if you choose the normal deluxe cabin on Divina or Preziosa it is significantly narrower and feels more like a balcony cabin than a suite!

Thanks for the confirmation.  We booked it for next summer.

On 7/11/2020 at 11:20 AM, hamrag said:

Question for you Hamrag (or anyone else who might know).....do you mean that any of the Meraviglia YC Deluxe Suites are like the Divina Deluxe Grand?  Or should I be looking for a Deluxe Grand on Mera, also?  We are booked for Nov in Mera (originally on Seaside and changed ships on us), so wanting to know if I should be looking at a different suite?  Thanks in advance!

12 minutes ago, Hearthosesteeldrumsplayin said:

Question for you Hamrag (or anyone else who might know).....do you mean that any of the Meraviglia YC Deluxe Suites are like the Divina Deluxe Grand?  Or should I be looking for a Deluxe Grand on Mera, also?  We are booked for Nov in Mera (originally on Seaside and changed ships on us), so wanting to know if I should be looking at a different suite?  Thanks in advance!

Yes, the Mera are all the same i.e. wider, for that reason there is no such cabin as a Deluxe Grand on that ship. You are good, trust it sails and you enjoy the experience.