Protocols for Opening Up Cruising - Physicians' Perspective

harkinmr

Really interesting Miami Herald article with physician recommendations on what protocols need to be in place in order for cruise ships to SAFELY sail.  There's also an interesting quote from a CDC spokesperson below.  Sounds to me that cruising is likely a long-ways off.   The article is an educational one and provides a realistic picture as to where we are as of today.

A spokesperson for the CDC said the agency has not consulted with any cruise lines yet about resuming operations.

“We don’t have enough information at this time to say when it will be safe for passenger travel to resume,” said spokesperson Scott Pauley in an email Wednesday. “Our current focus is helping crew members safely return home to their families and ensuring cruise lines are providing a safe environment for crew members to work and to disembark. We will continue to evaluate and update our recommendations as the situation evolves.”

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article242945396.html#storylink=cpy

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

A spokesperson for the CDC said the agency has not consulted with any cruise lines yet about resuming operations.

This is kind of a confusing statement. They say they haven't consulted with cruise lines, however Mr. Fain with RCCL just did an interview a couple weeks ago and mentioned that they have been in communications with CDC. 

9 minutes ago, MrsKC08 said:

This is kind of a confusing statement. They say they haven't consulted with cruise lines, however Mr. Fain with RCCL just did an interview a couple weeks ago and mentioned that they have been in communications with CDC. 

I think what they are saying is that they haven't consulted as to any particular time frame/date for opening.  I'm sure they are in communications generally and certainly with respect to protocols.  My guess is any date-specific discussions are probably a non-starter unless protocol proposals have been submitted.  One concern is that none of the majors have put out anything specific about protocols and clearly that has to happen before an opening date can even be decided.  Some smaller lines have put out protocol plans BUT they have not been approved by the CDC yet.  God knows how long that process might take.

The most troubling thing that I learned from the article was that there are financial goals for the cruise ship physicians, with a bonus paid if they are met.

Edited by linolive
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, linolive said:

The most troubling thing that I learned from the article was that there are financial goals for the cruise ship physicians, with a bonus paid if they are met.

yeah, I picked up on that too.

Apparently NCL is going to be making an announcement today, but I haven't seen anything yet.

26 minutes ago, Crazy planning mom said:

Not a lot of specifics and detail; doesn't seem to talk at all about how each protocol will work.  I would imagine that much more detail is going to be required by the CDC...and frankly by cruisers.

• Like 1

If....cruising returns under the conditions recommended in this article, cruising would just suck.  The relaxation and atmosphere, the interaction with the wonderful crew, other guests...gone.  I would not sail under those conditions even if it was free.  More relaxed at home or a local area land based vacation.  It's going to take a cure...or we and the cruise lines are screwed.    So sad.    

Link copied from previously in this thread.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article242945396.html

I'm not sure how they can really do the staggered embarkation either. We all know how people are excited for that first cruise day and show up to the port. Once people arrive to the terminal, where exactly do they think they can "hold them" before allowing them to go through security and check in. The reality is that people are over this Covid-19. If people can gather and "protest"...or more like riot (they did here in Nashville)...then people can choose to vacation how they please with little to no social distancing. 

I can just see that my current CruiseNext certs are going to be left on the shelf for a lot longer than my first pair did (well, they already have as the first ones only lasted 5 months before I booked my next cruise and it's been 7 months since I bought the current ones).  With reduced capacity I can see the prices going up, on top of the reduced or eliminated inside room availability, I can't possibly afford to cruise until 2022 probably...

• Like 1