It's June 1st, 2 months until Carnival sail again on Aug 1st...

NavyCruiser

1 minute ago, TNcruising02 said:

Hover over their screen name, then you will see the option to ignore the user.  Once you click on that, it will bring you to some additional options.  It's so refreshing to read the boards without all of those political posts.  I think the majority of us come to CC to actually talk about cruising and get away from politics.

Thx!  So I will still be able to see threads that the blocked one is on, but not see blocked one's responses?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Thx!  So I will still be able to see threads that the blocked one is on, but not see blocked one's responses?

You will see all threads and comments except comments made by the ignored user. You will see something that tells you that the person made a comment, but you will not see their comment.  The only time you will see their comment is if they are quoted by someone else that you haven't put on ignore.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1

Thank you for posting NCLs.  I really hope Carnival adds some flex in their policy to reschedule if you’re not comfortable cruising. Our Radiance cruise for Sept was cancelled so we moved to the Pride on the same date.  Now I’m being told that since we moved to a new cruise after the March confidence deadline (which I was covered under for the Radiance), I am no longer covered bc I chose to rebook when the Radiance was cancelled in April.  It would be a nice option to have to reschedule. 

On 6/2/2020 at 4:23 PM, BlerkOne said:

He did. He said it could be sooner!

Actually, he did not say that.   He did say that August 1 was a target date but made it clear that that was a moving date. Given that cruises have been cancelled through the end of July, it really makes no sense to say that cruising could start sooner than August 1.  I'll go out on a limb and say that because of the extension of the Canadian sail ban and issues with international travel for the foreseeable future, cruising will probably not start up until mid-to-late Fall.

On 6/3/2020 at 11:17 PM, BlerkOne said:

Looks encouraging to me!

"Two and a half months after the cruise industry shut down, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the world’s largest cruise companies are nearly in agreement about how to limit COVID-19 outbreaks on ships while cruises remain banned, the agency told the Miami Herald Monday.

The CDC is nearing the end of its review of health and safety plans submitted in April by South Florida-based Carnival Corporation, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings, MSC Cruises, Disney Cruise Line, Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line and Virgin Voyages outlining how the companies will detect, prevent and mitigate the spread of the coronavirus at sea while cruises are stopped. The agency plans to publish the plans in the coming week, along with a scorecard for each ship operating in U.S. waters that reflects its level of infection."

Take another look at the article.  The health and safety plans that they are referring to have to do exclusively with crew and repatriating those crew.  The CDC official says that the they have not even begun to have discussions with cruise lines about health and safety protocols for when passenger cruises start taking place.  The details given by the official indicate that could be a long way off at this point.

1 minute ago, harkinmr said:

Actually, he did not say that.   He did say that August 1 was a target date but made it clear that that was a moving date. Given that cruises have been cancelled through the end of July, it really makes no sense to say that cruising could start sooner than August 1.  I'll go out on a limb and say that because of the extension of the Canadian sail ban and issues with international travel for the foreseeable future, cruising will probably not start up until mid-to-late Fall.

Actually he did say it in one of the interviews, although I tend to doubt it would happen.  He is CEO of Carnival Corporation with a number of brands and leaves the operations of individual cruise lines to their presidents. CDC has no authority outside of the US. If CDC lifts the ban, Carnival could try a soft restart to cruising which makes a lot of sense to me - try it with relatively few people.

13 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Take another look at the article.  The health and safety plans that they are referring to have to do exclusively with crew and repatriating those crew.  The CDC official says that the they have not even begun to have discussions with cruise lines about health and safety protocols for when passenger cruises start taking place.  The details given by the official indicate that could be a long way off at this point.

Take a gander at this - NCL has published their fleetwide plan (working with CDC).

https://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/book-with-confidence

The ball is in Carnival's court.

2 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Actually he did say it in one of the interviews, although I tend to doubt it would happen.  He is CEO of Carnival Corporation with a number of brands and leaves the operations of individual cruise lines to their presidents. CDC has no authority outside of the US. If CDC lifts the ban, Carnival could try a soft restart to cruising which makes a lot of sense to me - try it with relatively few people.

A "soft restart" before August 1st?  With cruises that have already been cancelled and crews continuing to be repatriated and no immediate plans to bring crews back on board?  Not going to happen.   The majors will have consistent protocols fleet wide whether sailing out of US ports or elsewhere around the world.   

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

Take a gander at this - NCL has published their fleetwide plan (working with CDC).

https://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/book-with-confidence

The ball is in Carnival's court.

I have seen NCL's plan.  Doesn't mean it's been approved by the CDC.  Also, NCL made clear in disclosures within the plan that it was subject to further expansion and change based on discussions it will be having with the CDC.  

28 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

I have seen NCL's plan.  Doesn't mean it's been approved by the CDC.  Also, NCL made clear in disclosures within the plan that it was subject to further expansion and change based on discussions it will be having with the CDC.  

What is clear is CDC is IN FACT, in discussion with cruise lines about reopening and the article you quote is not current, or is otherwise incorrect.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

What is clear is CDC is IN FACT, in discussion with cruise lines about reopening and the article you quote is not current, or is otherwise incorrect.

Unbelievable!  The article is dated June 2, 2020.  And the quote follows:

"Cetron said the CDC has not begun to review plans for how to safely operate cruises prior to development of a vaccine."

14 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Unbelievable!  The article is dated June 2, 2020.  And the quote follows:

"Cetron said the CDC has not begun to review plans for how to safely operate cruises prior to development of a vaccine."

Obviously the interview was not June 2 or the article was written in real time and Cetron is mistaken. Also obviously NCL is getting closer to cruising.

Will Carnival start Aug 1? Nobody knows, including us. So hurry up and wait.

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

Obviously the interview was not June 2 or the article was written in real time and Cetron is mistaken. Also obviously NCL is getting closer to cruising.

Will Carnival start Aug 1? Nobody knows, including us. So hurry up and wait.

Absolutely unbelievable.  smh...

4 hours ago, harkinmr said:

A "soft restart" before August 1st?  With cruises that have already been cancelled and crews continuing to be repatriated and no immediate plans to bring crews back on board?  Not going to happen.   The majors will have consistent protocols fleet wide whether sailing out of US ports or elsewhere around the world.   

sounds like you really are optimistic for it t happen

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

sounds like you really are optimistic for it t happen

Optimism has nothing to do with it and you are missing the point.  BlerkOne was claiming that a cruising start before August 1st was possible.  Which it isn't.  Gave up obviously because he/she was just not having any of the facts provided.  A CDC official is quoted in an article as saying something and I'm told that the official is "mistaken" or that the quote is inaccurate.   As cruisers, we all want cruising to start up again, but being unrealistic or offering up projections that are unreasonable is not going to change anything and will likely lead to further frustration.   

1 minute ago, harkinmr said:

Not guaranteed.  And not any different from any other line's "target" date.  But nice try.

12 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Bahamas Paradise is set to restart cruising July 25.

https://www.bahamasparadisecruise.com/covid-19-safety-measures.php

And not a "major" cruise line, which after all was your original point.  Correct?

Edited by harkinmr

2 hours ago, harkinmr said:

Optimism has nothing to do with it and you are missing the point.  BlerkOne was claiming that a cruising start before August 1st was possible.  Which it isn't.  Gave up obviously because he/she was just not having any of the facts provided.  A CDC official is quoted in an article as saying something and I'm told that the official is "mistaken" or that the quote is inaccurate.   As cruisers, we all want cruising to start up again, but being unrealistic or offering up projections that are unreasonable is not going to change anything and will likely lead to further frustration.   

Actually I think it is possible on a small ship line.  CDC quotes lots of junk, they appear to be lost is space.  Their posting on crew repatriation With “color” coding the repatriation was pretty disappointing, of they spent 3 months “perfecting” their plan, they do not have a clue.  The point is putting stock into anything they throw out (which have changed on almost a weekly basis) might be better attuned to throwing a dart at a ballon wall filled with their answers to problems.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Actually I think it is possible on a small ship line.  CDC quotes lots of junk, they appear to be lost is space.  Their posting on crew repatriation With “color” coding the repatriation was pretty disappointing, of they spent 3 months “perfecting” their plan, they do not have a clue.  The point is putting stock into anything they throw out (which have changed on almost a weekly basis) might be better attuned to throwing a dart at a ballon wall filled with their answers to problems.  

The crew news seemed stale, IMO.

NCL is also scheduled to start cruising Aug 1. With the virus numbers shooting up again on land, a cruise ship is likely the safest place to be.

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

The crew news seemed stale, IMO.

NCL is also scheduled to start cruising Aug 1. With the virus numbers shooting up again on land, a cruise ship is likely the safest place to be.

I am curious the rationale of a cruise ship being the safest place to be during the peak of a pandemic.  

Edited by skridge
misspelled word

Just now, skridge said:

I am curious the rational of a cruise ship being the safest place to be during the peak of a pandemic.  

They are cleaner and better sanitized than most homes and businesses, not to mention being held to higher standards going forward than homes and businesses. How could they not be safer?

5 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

They are cleaner and better sanitized than most homes and businesses, not to mention being held to higher standards going forward than homes and businesses. How could they not be safer?

I don't know.  Maybe the 5 to 10k people eating together.  Going to shows.  Dancing in clubs.  Sitting in bars.  You can clean until you are blue in the face it only takes one person to infect another and another.  Then you have March all over again.  I am pretty sure the cruise lines are going to be smart enough not to open back up in the peak of the pandemic.  I could be wrong and I hope I am  because I really want to cruise again one day.  I think the higher ups at all of the major lines will look at the data and hold off a little while longer.  If they go through the expense of ramping back up and March happens again.  What then? 

• Like 3