Celebrity Millennium Re-Model: Where to View Hubbard Glacier?

Autumnz

As much as I love that Celebrity remodeled the Millennium, which we'll enjoy (hopefully!) July 2021, I am saddened that the "retreat" is an exclusive deck space for suites.  I am not sure how much "regular passenger" space on the decks there is for lounging and enjoying the scenery.  Any experience/tips/advice on best places to go to relax outside and enjoy the scenery (especially for Hubbard viewing- we'll be their 2pm-6pm)?

Thank you for your reply!  From the pics/videos I've seen- the deck is pretty much bare (maybe I'm missing something- or different levels?)  Are there places to sit/relax outside on deck?  I've seen views from the buffet or bars inside (so I assume there is plenty of window space inside to cozy up with a chair, a book, and a beverage), but  not so much relaxing space outside on deck?

1 hour ago, Miaminice said:

If you want to be on the top, try the deck above the Sunset Bar / Oceanview.

The area directly above The Sunset Bar/Oceanview [Deck 10] features five aft AquaClass cabins on Deck 11...

The Rooftop Terrace above those cabins [Deck 12 Aft] provides commanding views [used it extensively--including at Hubbard Glacier (the ship will pivot)---while last in Alaska]  and, yes, the area does provide generous outdoor seating and places to relax while taking in the views...

Edited by Xport

1 hour ago, Xport said:

The area directly above The Sunset Bar/Oceanview [Deck 10] features five aft AquaClass cabins on Deck 11...

The Rooftop Terrace above those cabins [Deck 12 Aft] provides commanding views [used it extensively--including at Hubbard Glacier (the ship will pivot)---while last in Alaska]  and, yes, the area does provide generous outdoor seating and places to relax while taking in the views...

That’s the deck I am talking about... didn’t say directly above 😉

xport...were you at Hubbard after the remodel? I read that with the new retreat they had to use the helicopter landing pad area?

To clarify...deck 12 rooftop terrace is enjoyable deck area and no affected by The Retreat (and open to all)?

I must say seeing other decks of celebrity ships, I was hoping the millennium would have a cool garden/resort deck feel after the remodel...but very blah (from pics I've seen).

You can view the glacier just fine from the Promenade Deck.  It's wasn't too crowded, and you can move easily from the port side to the starboard side as the ship turns.  You could view it from the Sky Lounge without being out in the elements and staying warm, but you couldn't see and hear the glacier calving, which I thought was just spectacular. 🍷 

The Retreat isn’t actually a great spot if you want unobstructed views for photography, there are only a couple of small areas to the side where you are not looking through the clear screens that act as windbreaks. 

Even with Retreat access I’d be looking elsewhere for a better spot. 

We loved being on the rooftop terrace on deck 12 during our visit to Hubbard last August (we sailed on the Millennium post remodel). Here are some pictures, all taken from deck 12. We got great views and could hear the calving. And there were some chairs but they weren't near the railing and people stood at the railing. We did end up going back to our balcony while still at the glacier to be able to sit while still viewing it. 

IMG_20190808_090613730_HDR.thumb.jpg.93c995ec569b6a69faef8e43402961ca.jpgIMG_20190808_090834186_HDR.thumb.jpg.186a97642643f2688049ca1ecb7dbc1f.jpgIMG_20190808_091508277.thumb.jpg.c2b2ee466ccf085a6cfebd7470e78559.jpgIMG_20190808_091945083.thumb.jpg.72e5b2196132e1896859e2653d1e3154.jpg

IMG_20190808_090618697_HDR.jpg

Edited by AuroraRose

2 hours ago, Autumnz said:

Thank you for sharing!  I was disappointed to not go to Glacier Bay on our itinerary, but Hubbard looks awesome too!  Thanks for the pics!

IT IS!!!

See more in our review:

http://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Our-Trips/Alaska-Radiance-01---Vancouver/alaska-radiance-01---vancouver.html

08-IMG_3634.jpg.596d4d9c0e493cf06062b7587296a7fe.jpg

https://youtu.be/ximQ0Lx8UZU

19 hours ago, Mark_T said:

The Retreat isn’t actually a great spot if you want unobstructed views for photography, there are only a couple of small areas to the side where you are not looking through the clear screens that act as windbreaks. 

Even with Retreat access I’d be looking elsewhere for a better spot. 

The Retreat is a small proportion of the overall ship outdoor viewing area, even if restricted to suite passengers.  Not to worry.

12 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

The Retreat is a small proportion of the overall ship outdoor viewing area, even if restricted to suite passengers.  Not to worry.

I wasn't worried in the slightest, merely pointing out that having been on the Millennium just before Christmas, even though we had access to The Retreat, when it came to scenic cruising, it was not something those without access should feel they had 'lost' as it is a rather poor location if you want unobstructed views.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

I wasn't worried in the slightest, merely pointing out that having been on the Millennium just before Christmas, even though we had access to The Retreat, when it came to scenic cruising, it was not something those without access should feel they had 'lost' as it is a rather poor location if you want unobstructed views.

Sorry Mark_T.  I was actually agreeing with you and telling the OP "Not To Worry".

• Like 1