Favorite Drink

Yes it’s 5:00 in South Carolina and we are having our glass of wine.

I am daydreaming about our Sirena cruise next year (yes I need something

to look forward to) and was wondering what specialty drink I would like if

I was on a cruise. I love a green apple martini on a special occasion. What would you order?

19 minutes ago, Guest said:

Yes it’s 5:00 in South Carolina and we are having our glass of wine.

I am daydreaming about our Sirena cruise next year (yes I need something

to look forward to) and was wondering what specialty drink I would like if

I was on a cruise. I love a green apple martini on a special occasion. What would you order?

Since retiring, I have taken an interest in Classic cocktails (e.g., Aviation, Sazerac, SideCar et al.).

Even in the best bars on the best ships, most bartenders murder these drinks with "well swill," citrus mixers, etc.

So, with the understanding that I most often ask nicely to dictate the ingredients (e.g., fresh squeezed citrus, cognac vs brandy, Cointreau vs triple sec, etc) and correct ratios, I would say my "go to" drink would be a Side Car made with 2 oz Hennessy Privilege VSOP cognac, 1 oz Cointreau and 1 oz fresh squeezed lemon juice. However, I'd skip the sugared rim but keep the lemon garnish (and, if the ship had them - which they don't, a Bada Bing cherry even if it's not really in a Side Car).

• Like 1

Kentucky boy here. Depending upon the talents of the bartender: Double Knob Hill Old Fashion! 

KH is a standard bourbon the ships carry, so with a bit of guidance the bartenders can manage!

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Guest said:

Yum a sidecar sounds wonderful!

True - if it's done as described above!!!

However, what you'll get for a side car in most bars (on/off ships) is brandy, triple sec and citrus mixer, which is gross.

The quality of booze -even in a mixed drink- is a significant factor in the quality and taste of the end product as is the need for real juices and other ingredients.

Another great example is a Margarita. Order it without "specs" and you'll get José Cuervo, triple sec and maybe lime juice but, more likely, citrus mixer.

Though, like many classics, the origins of the drink are sometimes uncertain, I'm in the Tommy's (Mexico) version, which is duplicated by Tommy's today in SF: Reposado Tequila (e.g., El Tesoro), fresh lime juice and agave nectar (no orange liquer of any kind).

Bottom line is "life is too short for bad booze."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Since retiring, I have taken an interest in Classic cocktails (e.g., Aviation, Sazerac, SideCar et al.).

Even in the best bars on the best ships, most bartenders murder these drinks with "well swill," citrus mixers, etc.

So, with the understanding that I most often ask nicely to dictate the ingredients (e.g., fresh squeezed citrus, cognac vs brandy, Cointreau vs triple sec, etc) and correct ratios, I would say my "go to" drink would be a Side Car made with 2 oz Hennessy Privilege VSOP cognac, 1 oz Cointreau and 1 oz fresh squeezed lemon juice. However, I'd skip the sugared rim but keep the lemon garnish (and, if the ship had them - which they don't, a Bada Bing cherry even if it's not really in a Side Car).

I think you are right the classics are hard to beat!

The Sidecar is great when it is done right, on the ship I prefer a Big O martini, in port I try to get a local specialty, 

Like Pastis in Marseille, or Shery in Cadiz.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

You can have an exclusive on the Perrier if I can have an exclusive on the Pellegrino.

That's a deal! More Perrier left for me 🙂

Edited by Paulchili

Historically, we always went with the bubbly being served aboard. The Sparkling wine or champagne was usually decent and enjoyable. However, was is past tense and the most recent champagne served , by the glass, was of poor quality and undesirable. Hope it’s not carried over to the new cruises!

This lead us to more experimenting with mixed drinks than we normally do.