Coastal Kitchen

3 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

We prefer Oasis class ships too but we find the CK experience to be superior on Anthem.

Quantum CK was purpose built, Oasis/Allure were an afterthought.  Harmony and Symphony are a little better, but still lots of space constraints. Good location, though

4 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

we didn’t like it on quantum   the location was next to the buffet   Since we are in suites, we like the location attached to the suite lounge  We enjoy drinks in the lounge then dinner  

we never were on the Anthem so perhaps a better location 

It is in the same location on Anthem as it is on Quantum.  We also like to have a drink in the CL prior to dinner and did not have an issue with the distance between CK and the CL but many don't like that long walk.  Anthem still had a CL last we sailed her in December but I think it changed to a SL soon after.  Should make it a lot easier to get a seat in the future as it is typically very crowded.

We have never been on a ship with a CK, but have 2 scheduled.  First is Oct 2021 (we hope) Odyssey (JS) , then Quantum (GS).  We were still planning on some specialty restaurants.   How does CK compare to Chops or whatever the current Italian restaurant is?  

With no CK, we have been doing the unlimited dinning package

5 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

We have never been on a ship with a CK, but have 2 scheduled.  First is Oct 2021 (we hope) Odyssey (JS) , then Quantum (GS).  We were still planning on some specialty restaurants.   How does CK compare to Chops or whatever the current Italian restaurant is?  

With no CK, we have been doing the unlimited dinning package

We enjoy CK a lot.  There is a great filet mignon that is as good, if not better, than any we have had at Chops.  I don't remember much Italian in CK, lots of fish, lamb and veal.  There is a cauliflower steak my DH loves and the french onion soup is excellent.  They have really good breads/rolls and spreads (tampanade, hummus, red pepper something or other).  We enjoy breakfast there a lot as it is much quieter than either the MDR or WJ.  Lunch can be hit or miss.  Some like the flatbreads, we don't, though we like the chicken sandwich and also the scallops with risotto.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Can I ask about CK when you are sailing in a GS.  First time sailing in a GS for us.

My husband and I last sailed Ovation in Alaska in a JS and I know we ate in CK but for the life of me I can't remember how I booked it - possibly onboard, can't remember how many times we ate there.

We will be on Quantum in Jan '22 to NZ. 3 people. (I know alot could change but how did it work in the past)

Being in a GS I believe we can eat B , L & Dinner in the CK.

No reservation needed for B & L I believe?

For dinner: as a GS guest do we need to book - I assume so.

Are you usually able to do that in the Cruise Planner beforehand as a GS guest?

Or... do we book once onboard.  We are D so I guess we could do it in the D lounge or it may just be better to go to the CK and book ourselves once boarded.

As a GS guest are we guaranteed a reservation time for dinner (not necessarily at the time we might want if they are busy) or if they are booked we may not get in regardless.

Thank you for any insights : )

On 7/20/2020 at 4:10 PM, reallyitsmema said:

We enjoy CK a lot.  There is a great filet mignon that is as good, if not better, than any we have had at Chops.  I don't remember much Italian in CK, lots of fish, lamb and veal.  There is a cauliflower steak my DH loves and the french onion soup is excellent.  They have really good breads/rolls and spreads (tampanade, hummus, red pepper something or other).  We enjoy breakfast there a lot as it is much quieter than either the MDR or WJ.  Lunch can be hit or miss.  Some like the flatbreads, we don't, though we like the chicken sandwich and also the scallops with risotto.

Your comments are similar to mine -- especially the filet.  I have tried lamb and veal dishes and of course, I enjoy fish.  We cruise with another couple and she is a vegetarian and likes the cauliflower steak.  Love how quiet it is compared to MDR.  

• Like 1

On 7/20/2020 at 9:50 PM, BecAus said:

Can I ask about CK when you are sailing in a GS.  First time sailing in a GS for us.

My husband and I last sailed Ovation in Alaska in a JS and I know we ate in CK but for the life of me I can't remember how I booked it - possibly onboard, can't remember how many times we ate there.

We will be on Quantum in Jan '22 to NZ. 3 people. (I know alot could change but how did it work in the past)

Being in a GS I believe we can eat B , L & Dinner in the CK.

No reservation needed for B & L I believe?

For dinner: as a GS guest do we need to book - I assume so.

Are you usually able to do that in the Cruise Planner beforehand as a GS guest?

Or... do we book once onboard.  We are D so I guess we could do it in the D lounge or it may just be better to go to the CK and book ourselves once boarded.

As a GS guest are we guaranteed a reservation time for dinner (not necessarily at the time we might want if they are busy) or if they are booked we may not get in regardless.

Thank you for any insights : )

Book your dinner times in the CK the day you get the letter from the Concierge. A few days before your sail date.

M8