Hotels in Rome

Minniepnp

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

In general I am less inclined to stay near Trevi just because the area is always so thronged with people, and I enjoy the Pantheon/Navona area more overall. I can't say I know that much about the hotels in the immediate vicinity of Trevi, but just looking up a few on the Relais Fontana de Trevi there are some less than positive reviews about the hotel itself which, when coupled with the location would cause me to look elsewhere.

Home in Rome Trevi is not really a hotel -- it is a guesthouse with limited services, not that it's a bad thing but just something to be aware of. There probably will not be someone onsite who can help with directions or reservations, etc.  It does get pretty good ratings and the location looks pretty decent -- not so close to Trevi that you are in the midst of the crowds. So if you are up for it, then it seems like a reasonable choice.

How far is Trevi from the Pantheon?  Which hotel do you stay in?  We like one with a very nice breakfast

Edited by midwestchick

15 minutes ago, midwestchick said:

How far is Trevi from the Pantheon?  Which hotel do you stay in?  We like one with a very nice breakfast

Lest you think I am some kind of hotel broker, let me start by saying that I love Rome and up until COVID I was there at least once a year and often twice -- sometimes before or after a cruise but often just to visit the city for a week or more. And although I have a couple of favorites, I like to try new hotels in different areas as well, just to see how much I like the area, how convenient it is, etc...

My favorite hotel in Rome, hands down, is the Albergo del Senato.  Since I first stayed there in 2005 it has been through two renovations and unfortunately the price keeps going up as well. I still love it -- it feels like my home away from home and (for me) there is nothing like looking out the window or stepping out the front door and having the Pantheon right in front of you.

But there are other hotels in the area that I also have enjoyed and most are recommended already on the many pages of this thread, if you want to read through them.

If I may ask -- what do you consider a "very nice" breakfast?  Does it have to be American style?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Lest you think I am some kind of hotel broker, let me start by saying that I love Rome and up until COVID I was there at least once a year and often twice -- sometimes before or after a cruise but often just to visit the city for a week or more. And although I have a couple of favorites, I like to try new hotels in different areas as well, just to see how much I like the area, how convenient it is, etc...

My favorite hotel in Rome, hands down, is the Albergo del Senato.  Since I first stayed there in 2005 it has been through two renovations and unfortunately the price keeps going up as well. I still love it -- it feels like my home away from home and (for me) there is nothing like looking out the window or stepping out the front door and having the Pantheon right in front of you.

But there are other hotels in the area that I also have enjoyed and most are recommended already on the many pages of this thread, if you want to read through them.

If I may ask -- what do you consider a "very nice" breakfast?  Does it have to be American style?

No, not American. Some have fresh mozzarella cheese and baked goods, etc.  I know some have a large variety of food. 

5 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I can't count the amount of time I have spent researching Rome hotels, and agonizing over where to stay. I also spend a lot of time on Cruise Critic. Why did I not think to look here in the first place for advice?

Thanks to all for the amount of information you provide for us rookies! It will be our first time in Rome. We had it scheduled for 2020, 2021 and now this year. Hoping third time is the charm.

Have booked Albergo de Senato for our 4 night pre cruise stay in October. The hotel looks wonderful with a great location. There is a price to pay for that, but staying in a major city's prime tourist area means that the cost will be higher. 

Once again, thank you for all your valuable input.

• Like 2

So I have been finally been able to narrow it down to 3 hotels.  If anyone has stayed at these I would appreciate your feedback.  

1. Hotel Navona

2. Hotel Artimide

3.Hotel Abruzzi

Hotel Navona is the cheapest of these by $1000.  The other 2 are around the same price.  We need 2 rooms for our group so this seems to be the best that I can get.  Thanks everyone

Correction from above...

1. Hotel Navona

2. Hotel Damaso

Sorry but availability just came up in Damaso, think I would rather spend the extra $1000 and buy gifts for everyone and this will pay for our food over the 2 days

Which would you recommend?  Damaso or Navona?  It seems that they are pretty close in reviews, I was more interested in if anyone had stayed at them and what they thought.

5 hours ago, Charmslittleworld said:

Correction from above...

1. Hotel Navona

2. Hotel Damaso

Sorry but availability just came up in Damaso, think I would rather spend the extra $1000 and buy gifts for everyone and this will pay for our food over the 2 days

Which would you recommend?  Damaso or Navona?  It seems that they are pretty close in reviews, I was more interested in if anyone had stayed at them and what they thought.

For a review on Damaso see post #412 in this thread.

For my review on Hotel Navona, see post #421 in this thread.

• Like 4

Correction from above...

1. Hotel Navona

2. Hotel Damaso

Thanks Cruise Mom.  I must have missed those.  Looks like either option is going to be great.  Would have liked to get into Albergo Del Senato but it was fully booked.  I think that we will be happy really with either of these though.  And we wanted to spend time just walking around taking in Rome-my sons first time in Europe so he will get to experience it 

• Like 1

We currently have a 3 night pre-cruise reservation at Hotel Golden for this October. I made the reservation about a year ago and initially had great communication back and forth with one of the owners. In the past week I’ve sent a couple follow up emails to them and haven’t received any response. Anyone have any insight or experience with this hotel? Is it centrally located to the main “must see” sites? The lack of any reply has me a little concerned since last year I was getting almost immediate responses. Thanks for any feedback!

I would not be overly concerned about slow e-mail response from Italy, for some reason that's common among Italian businesses.

As for the location, it's a lovely neighborhood but not particularly central (though not terribly far off either).  The walk into the historic center will be relatively easy as it will be downhill but you'll probably want to take a bus or taxi back up the hill when you return.

Also, not far from the hotel (two-tenths of a mile on foot) there is an entrance to the Spagna metro station (inside Villa Borghese park).   For some reason google maps doesn't seem to know about this entrance/exit (unless it has been closed, I haven't been there since Covid).  It takes you though an underground mall and eventually to the Spagna station.  

If you make a google map of these coordinates (41.909341, 12.486724) and go to street view you'll see the staircase heading down.

Hotel near Villa Borghese | Hotel in Rome center (hotelgoldenrome.com)

6 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

I would not be overly concerned about slow e-mail response from Italy, for some reason that's common among Italian businesses.

As for the location, it's a lovely neighborhood but not particularly central (though not terribly far off either).  The walk into the historic center will be relatively easy as it will be downhill but you'll probably want to take a bus or taxi back up the hill when you return.

Also, not far from the hotel (two-tenths of a mile on foot) there is an entrance to the Spagna metro station (inside Villa Borghese park).   For some reason google maps doesn't seem to know about this entrance/exit (unless it has been closed, I haven't been there since Covid).  It takes you though an underground mall and eventually to the Spagna station.  

If you make a google map of these coordinates (41.909341, 12.486724) and go to street view you'll see the staircase heading down.

Hotel near Villa Borghese | Hotel in Rome center (hotelgoldenrome.com)

Thanks so much for the info. Very helpful!

18 hours ago, IndyCapt said:

The lack of any reply has me a little concerned since last year I was getting almost immediate responses. Thanks for any feedback!

Just to further reassure you -- remember this is the week leading up to Easter, which is a very popular holiday in Italy. Lots of tourists descend on Rome. They could very well have their hands full. Give them a bit longer before starting to worry.

Just now, cruisemom42 said:

Just to further reassure you -- remember this is the week leading up to Easter, which is a very popular holiday in Italy. Lots of tourists descend on Rome. They could very well have their hands full. Give them a bit longer before starting to worry.

Good point! I hadn’t thought of that coming into play. Any thoughts regarding Hotel Golden location?

Thanks again!

4 hours ago, IndyCapt said:

Good point! I hadn’t thought of that coming into play. Any thoughts regarding Hotel Golden location?

Thanks again!

4 hours ago, IndyCapt said:

Thanks again!

As euro cruiser said, it's a bit out of the center. But I have heard good things from people who've stayed there.  If you're good walkers it shouldn't be a big problem -- it will just add a few minutes to most sites other than Villa Borghese and the Spanish Steps.

17 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

As euro cruiser said, it's a bit out of the center. But I have heard good things from people who've stayed there.  If you're good walkers it shouldn't be a big problem -- it will just add a few minutes to most sites other than Villa Borghese and the Spanish Steps.

We don’t mind walking but want to maximize our time and how many places we can get to during our stay. From reading through previous posts I’m seeing certain hotel names being mentioned often. Hotel Navona is one that might meet our needs if we were to change hotels. I take it that Navona is more centrally located? We’re also rethinking our plan for 3 nights in Rome and then 1 night in Civi before we board our cruise. I noticed your earlier comment saying it might be just as easy to do all 4 nights in Rome and then just go to Civi on embarkation day. Is that a better plan?…

Thanks again!

1 minute ago, IndyCapt said:

I noticed your earlier comment saying it might be just as easy to do all 4 nights in Rome and then just go to Civi on embarkation day. Is that a better plan?…

I would agree with @cruisemom42. Packing up on day three just to be ±75 minutes closer to the port doesn't make a lot of sense.  Spend that additional day in one of the greatest cities in the world...it will be time well spent.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I stayed up in that area when I stayed at the Westin as an employee.  Not a bad walk down to the Spanish Steps and from there you can easily walk to the Pantheon/Colosseum/Trevi.   I've walked back up using the Steps and not bad.  I've also used Via Tritone to Via Veneto.  I did get lost in that Spagna Metro - you have to walk quite a bit!!   I'd walk down for the evening and usually grab a cab if I'm too late (past 11pm).  

2 hours ago, -Lew- said:

I would agree with @cruisemom42. Packing up on day three just to be ±75 minutes closer to the port doesn't make a lot of sense.  Spend that additional day in one of the greatest cities in the world...it will be time well spent.

Yep, that’s why I like reading CC… lots of useful information! I need to adjust our plan! Thanks 

13 hours ago, -Lew- said:

I'd also agree with @cruisemom42.

Just book a transfer (many recommendations here) from your hotel in Rome to port the morning of.

Hotel Navona is very popular with cruisers (it was our 2nd best choice, for the moment we're at Argentina Residenza).

You might even find someone staying there too and willing to share a transfer to the cruise port in Civi, or book a cheaper shared transfer.

• Like 1

I always think of the money you have spent on the trip overall, and do you want to be adding time/expense/frustration with staying further from the centre of the city, to save money.

I think in general life we all usually make decisions based on cost. In Rome, I suggest time is more valuable than money (within reason of course). There is so much to see and do, and just even the walk from one major site to another is an absolute pleasure.

I cannot express the overwhelming awe it is to walk into a random church anywhere and that city and be blown away by the art/history/age/charm, and finding a random Michelangelo or Carrivaggio that was never mentioned in any travel guide or u tube video.

One time, I was there with my mom and her curling iron blew up and she could not live without it. I asked concierge if there was anywhere close by to purchase a new one - and they gave me great directions to a place that was a common drug store that the locals used so it would not be tourist expensive. We got there, and the place had been a ‘pharmacy’ for 1500 years. They had fountains with snake asps intertwined, all sorts of stone work, then like aisles of the local CVS in the middle.

I think if you live in North America, and have never been to Europe the absolute antiquity of EVERYTHING in Rome will make your jaw drop. Spend less time on the train and bus, and more time walking and absorbing.

Just my two cents!

(Btw, I think that cruise critic should charge us all a monthly fee to be able to access information from cruisemom and Eurocruiser and a few of the other regular posters. Absolutely stellar and unbiased information!)

Edited by Cookie002
  • Like 10

7 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

I'd also agree with @cruisemom42.

Just book a transfer (many recommendations here) from your hotel in Rome to port the morning of.

Hotel Navona is very popular with cruisers (it was our 2nd best choice, for the moment we're at Argentina Residenza).

You might even find someone staying there too and willing to share a transfer to the cruise port in Civi, or book a cheaper shared transfer.

Thank you Dani for the input on Hotel Navona! And yes, we will be arranging our transfer to Civi on boarding day so we have an additional night in Rome. 
Craig

15 minutes ago, IndyCapt said:

Thank you Dani for the input on Hotel Navona! And yes, we will be arranging our transfer to Civi on boarding day so we have an additional night in Rome. 
Craig

In reading the latest protocols for embarking in Italy, it seems that we absolutely need to get tested one day before... It was 2 days until last week [that is, for those of us who are "up-to-date"....].

Of course, things can change until your cruise.

Ours is just 8 weeks away, boarding on a Monday, seems we'll have to test on a Sunday... in Rome... bummer.

28 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

In reading the latest protocols for embarking in Italy, it seems that we absolutely need to get tested one day before... It was 2 days until last week [that is, for those of us who are "up-to-date"....].

If my memory is not completely shot, I believe I read that Celebrity was going to do testing at the port upon arrival.  Confirm that to be sure.  If true, that would be a wonderful convenience.