Hotels in Rome

Minniepnp

1 hour ago, Beth and Bailey said:

So some suggestions for hotels would be so appreciated and also...... how far is the cruise terminal from say .. the central area of Rome??

A response to your question will include hotels already discussed in this thread.  I suggest you browse previous posts for some excellent suggestions.

In my experience the trip from the historic center to the cruise port in Civitavecchi, about 69km, takes 1:15 to 1:30 at mid-day via limo.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, -Lew- said:

A response to your question will include hotels already discussed in this thread.  I suggest you browse previous posts for some excellent suggestions.

In my experience the trip from the historic center to the cruise port in Civitavecchi, about 69km, takes 1:15 to 1:30 at mid-day via limo.

I agree with Lew’s post. It is a trek to Civitavecchia from Rome. We’ve done it several times. You will not need to go back many pages to see all the great recommendations for Rome hotels.  

• Like 1

We're thinking about taking a last minute Mediterranean cruise on NCL Epic leaving Rome 6/28. They have a deal where the 2nd person flies for free.  With the cruise line flights we can fly in 2 days early with no fees. If we fly in 3 days early then we must book our hotel through the cruise line for 3 nights.  They are using Golden Tulip and it would include breakfast & transportation to the port for $940 which seems pricey. 

I'd love the extra time in Rome but we're leaning towards the 2 night deviation.  

My questions are:
1) Is Golden Tulip in a desirable area?  Is it worth staying here to get the 3rd night pre-cruise? 

2) Which hotel would you recommend that's somewhat convenient to airport, cruise port and great location for sight seeing?  I do have points with Hilton, Marriott and Hyatt.  But I'm not against paying cash instead of points. 

Appreciate your feedback.  

1 hour ago, taylortime05 said:
My questions are:
1) Is Golden Tulip in a desirable area?  Is it worth staying here to get the 3rd night pre-cruise? 

2) Which hotel would you recommend that's somewhat convenient to airport, cruise port and great location for sight seeing?  I do have points with Hilton, Marriott and Hyatt.  But I'm not against paying cash instead of points. 

1)  Not really. Read through the entire post which gives a lot of hints on the best place to locate yourself in Rome. Golden Tulip is near Termini, the major train station. Since the cruise line is throwing in the cost of a transfer, you wouldn't be taking the train to the port anyway, so no reason to base yourselves in this area which is not terribly inconvenient BUT is also not very pleasant. Part of the charm of Rome is wandering around in the evening, finding a place to eat, joining the nightly passeggiata, seeing the city and ancient sites all lit up, etc.  Also I agree the price is high; you can do better booking on your own, even if you have to pay for your own transfer.

2) There is no such thing as a hotel that is convenient to the airport, the cruise port and sightseeing. They are like three points on a triangle (and there is nothing in the middle.). Just plan on basing yourself in Rome. When you arrive at the airport a transfer by taxi is a flat rate 48 euros if you are in any hotel in the center of Rome. Takes 35-45 minutes. Getting to the port will take about an hour and 15 minutes. Stay in Rome and enjoy the experience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/28/2022 at 8:29 PM, cruisemom42 said:

1)  Not really. Read through the entire post which gives a lot of hints on the best place to locate yourself in Rome. Golden Tulip is near Termini, the major train station. Since the cruise line is throwing in the cost of a transfer, you wouldn't be taking the train to the port anyway, so no reason to base yourselves in this area which is not terribly inconvenient BUT is also not very pleasant. Part of the charm of Rome is wandering around in the evening, finding a place to eat, joining the nightly passeggiata, seeing the city and ancient sites all lit up, etc.  Also I agree the price is high; you can do better booking on your own, even if you have to pay for your own transfer.

2) There is no such thing as a hotel that is convenient to the airport, the cruise port and sightseeing. They are like three points on a triangle (and there is nothing in the middle.). Just plan on basing yourself in Rome. When you arrive at the airport a transfer by taxi is a flat rate 48 euros if you are in any hotel in the center of Rome. Takes 35-45 minutes. Getting to the port will take about an hour and 15 minutes. Stay in Rome and enjoy the experience.

We decided to book our airfare from DTW to Rome and found a great deal with Air France for business class.  We've never flown business class so I'm little excited about this.   We did add return flight to cruise fare since they had the deal for 2nd guest flies free.  It costs us $700 for 2 to fly Economy from Rome to DTW.  

So now we are flying in 5 days prior to our sailing.  I'm so excited we'll have more time to explore Rome.  I wanted to book a Hilton property because I had points to use.  

My 1st 2 choices did not have 5 std nights available (Rome Cavalieri or DoubleTree by Hilton Rome Monti).   I was able to book Cosmopolita Hotel Rome.  Do you think this is a good choice?   Do you think it's worth checking back to see if Rome Cavalieri or DoubleTree Monti open up for the 5 nights?  

Edited by taylortime05

On 3/28/2022 at 9:41 PM, bennybear said:

@taylortime05 I would also price your own air and hotels.  It may not be as good a deal as it appears.   Better to stay nearer the Center for a few more days IMO.   

We decided to book our airfare from DTW to Rome and found a great deal with Air France for business class.  We've never flown business class so I'm little excited about this.   We did add return flight to cruise fare since they had the deal for 2nd guest flies free.  It costs us $700 for 2 to fly Economy from Rome to DTW.  

So now we are flying in 5 days prior to our sailing.  I'm so excited we'll have more time to explore Rome.  I wanted to book a Hilton property because I had points to use.  

My 1st 2 choices did not have 5 std nights available (Rome Cavalieri or DoubleTree by Hilton Rome Monti).   I was able to book Cosmopolita Hotel Rome.  Do you think this is a good choice?   Do you think it's worth checking back to see if Rome Cavalieri or DoubleTree Monti open up for the 5 nights?  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, nini said:

Points or not, I would not be booking a Hilton or Marriott property. Immerse yourself into Rome. 

I've read good reviews about Cosmopolita.  Hilton is doing a renovation that will be complete beginning of June.   I found this info on Oyster website:

A historic hotel with a rooftop terrace and excellent city views:

The Cosmopolita Hotel has 68 rooms and is set in a historic building constructed in 1800 with a welcoming atmosphere throughout. The modern and open lobby has floor-to-ceiling windows giving great natural light and yellow leather armchairs, though these are looking a bit worn. Gray marble floors are bordered in jade-colored tiles, and there's a flat-screen TV mounted on the wall to one side. A streamlined wood front desk is minimally adorned with potted plants. At the Glass Bar & Restaurant, floor-to-ceiling windows illuminate the wood tables with floral centerpieces and yellow placemats. Arched entryways add to the design. The rooftop terrace, which has magnificent city views, offers white wicker seating outside surrounded by potted plants and trellises. There's also an indoor area to the terrace with more fantastic city views that can be enjoyed in chillier weather.

Exceptional central location with tons of sights within a 15-minute walk

The Cosmopolita Hotel has a superb central location in the historic district of Rome with the Forum of Trajan, Galleria Colonna, Piazza Venezia, and Quirinale Palace within a five-minute walk. Restaurants, shops, and bars are also a five-minute walk away while the Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, Piazza della Rotunda, and Colosseum are around a 10-minute walk. The Spanish Steps and public transportation are a 15-minute walk from the hotel while Vatican City and the Rome Termini Train Station are about a 10-minute drive. Both the Ciampino Airport and the Leonardo da Vinci International Airport are a 30-minute drive away.

I can book this hotel with points and save about $1800.   It sounds like a great location and very nice hotel.  I hope someone can confirm this. 

5 hours ago, taylortime05 said:

I can book this hotel with points and save about $1800.   It sounds like a great location and very nice hotel.  I hope someone can confirm this. 

With five nights in Rome I think it is worth considering using points to save a significant chunk of $$, as long as it is not too much of a compromise in terms of location. I am not familiar with the specific hotel, but Cosmopolita is in a good location in the center of things. I see no reason not to book it if you're happy with the reviews.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, taylortime05 said:

I’m sure you will enjoy business class and the extra nights in Rome.  Well played!  Sometimes we don’t see the big picture, how much we are spending to visit a place, and the extra will insure you have enough time to really experience Rome for more than one jet lagged day.  

On 3/30/2022 at 8:20 AM, cruisemom42 said:

With five nights in Rome I think it is worth considering using points to save a significant chunk of $$, as long as it is not too much of a compromise in terms of location. I am not familiar with the specific hotel, but Cosmopolita is in a good location in the center of things. I see no reason not to book it if you're happy with the reviews.

Are you familiar with DoubleTree by Hilton Rome Monti?  This was another choice that just became available for my 5 nights.  I'm not sure if it's any better than Cosmopolita. 

Monti is an interesting neighborhood, it is still a little less touristy than some other areas and interesting shops and restaurants.

HOWEVER given that you'll be in Rome for 5 days, I think Cosmopolita is in a much more central location for sightseeing. From there you can easily reach on foot almost all points in central Rome that you will want to cover.  The exception is the Vatican -- but you are very close to a MAJOR bus hub at Piazza Venezia, and there is also a taxi stand. (Taxis in Rome for short hauls are relatively fast and not expensive, good for when you want to save a bit of time and save your feet for essential walking.)

For those reasons I'd recommend Cosmopolita, given decent reviews. Trust me, in Rome location is primary!  You don't want to stay in a dump, but you also should remember that you're probably not going to spend a lot of time in your room. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, taylortime05 said:

Are you familiar with DoubleTree by Hilton Rome Monti?  This was another choice that just became available for my 5 nights.  I'm not sure if it's any better than Cosmopolita. 

II am also booked to stay at Doubletree Rome Monti. First time in Rome. Maybe the following reviews may help: 

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/2051125-doubletree-hilton-rome-monti-ita.html

8 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Monti is an interesting neighborhood, it is still a little less touristy than some other areas and interesting shops and restaurants.

HOWEVER given that you'll be in Rome for 5 days, I think Cosmopolita is in a much more central location for sightseeing. From there you can easily reach on foot almost all points in central Rome that you will want to cover.  The exception is the Vatican -- but you are very close to a MAJOR bus hub at Piazza Venezia, and there is also a taxi stand. (Taxis in Rome for short hauls are relatively fast and not expensive, good for when you want to save a bit of time and save your feet for essential walking.)

For those reasons I'd recommend Cosmopolita, given decent reviews. Trust me, in Rome location is primary!  You don't want to stay in a dump, but you also should remember that you're probably not going to spend a lot of time in your room. 

Thank you so much for all this information.  I have one other question.  So many people have told me to book Rome Cavalieri if it become available for the 5 days.  They say it is a great hotel.  But I don't think it's conveniently located in a central area.  What do you think?  Thank you again.  

9 minutes ago, seapad said:

II am also booked to stay at Doubletree Rome Monti. First time in Rome. Maybe the following reviews may help: 

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/2051125-doubletree-hilton-rome-monti-ita.html

Thank you so much!   I'm so excited but also anxious because I just booked our trip and we have so much planning to do.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, taylortime05 said:

Thank you so much for all this information.  I have one other question.  So many people have told me to book Rome Cavalieri if it become available for the 5 days.  They say it is a great hotel.  But I don't think it's conveniently located in a central area.  What do you think?  Thank you again.  

While I don't quibble at all that it is an excellent hotel, I will stand by my advice that it is better to be centrally located than to be in a great hotel.

I'm not sure everyone will agree with me, so you have to apply your own filter. But when I see that it would take over an hour to walk to the Pantheon (what I consider to be "ground zero" in terms of Central Rome), I would never book it, even after having visited Rome more than a dozen times.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

While I don't quibble at all that it is an excellent hotel, I will stand by my advice that it is better to be centrally located than to be in a great hotel.

I'm not sure everyone will agree with me, so you have to apply your own filter. But when I see that it would take over an hour to walk to the Pantheon (what I consider to be "ground zero" in terms of Central Rome), I would never book it, even after having visited Rome more than a dozen times.

That makes sense to me.   We want to make the most of our 5 days in Rome to see as much as possible. We also want to enjoy the good food & wine.  Now I need to start planning our itinerary.  I'm sure we'll do a lot of exploring on our own but we may also want to book some tours.   Thank you so much.  

The Cosmo looks to be in an excellent location from the map.  Tapestry Collection isn't one of their cookie-cutter chain, but independent hotels who join the 'collection' to take advantage of Hilton for clients and advertising, etc.  like Marriott's Autograph Collection.

I stayed at the Royal Cavalieri for 5 nights courtesy of my employee status and an award I won in an employee contest.  Amazing hotel, sitting on the highest hill in Rome - the view from the garden at night, overlooking rome, is beautiful.  The Concierge staff made all my dinner reservations - nice when they don't have a website and you don't speak Italian.  BUT you do have to take their shuttle or a taxi to/from the property to get into Centro Storico.  I didn't mind, since it was a free stay for me.  But some might find it annoying.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, taylortime05 said:

That makes sense to me.   We want to make the most of our 5 days in Rome to see as much as possible. We also want to enjoy the good food & wine.  Now I need to start planning our itinerary.  I'm sure we'll do a lot of exploring on our own but we may also want to book some tours.   Thank you so much.  

As an aside.  If one is considering top notch tours, then the Hotel’s Concierge can be of great assistance in planning your days superbly.  It’s what a Concierge does.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

The Cosmo looks to be in an excellent location from the map.  Tapestry Collection isn't one of their cookie-cutter chain, but independent hotels who join the 'collection' to take advantage of Hilton for clients and advertising, etc.  like Marriott's Autograph Collection.

I stayed at the Royal Cavalieri for 5 nights courtesy of my employee status and an award I won in an employee contest.  Amazing hotel, sitting on the highest hill in Rome - the view from the garden at night, overlooking rome, is beautiful.  The Concierge staff made all my dinner reservations - nice when they don't have a website and you don't speak Italian.  BUT you do have to take their shuttle or a taxi to/from the property to get into Centro Storico.  I didn't mind, since it was a free stay for me.  But some might find it annoying.

Thank you so much for your feedback.  The Rome Cavalieri isn't available for my 5 nights or I might have a tough decision.  But I'm leaning towards the Cosmo as the better option because of it's location.   Next time we're in Rome I'll check Rome Cavalieri out.  On the Hilton Diamond Fb page everyone raves about this hotel.  I also liked that they had evening entertainment.  

3 hours ago, taylortime05 said:

Thank you so much for your feedback.  The Rome Cavalieri isn't available for my 5 nights or I might have a tough decision.  But I'm leaning towards the Cosmo as the better option because of it's location.   Next time we're in Rome I'll check Rome Cavalieri out.  On the Hilton Diamond Fb page tT

The Cavalieri is one of those properties that Diamonds love.  

The patio is great to relax on in the evening, sip some wine, nibble on the comp snacks, and look out over Rome.  Even one night with a thunderstorm - the lightning show was impressive.

For food - head up to the top thread here.  We've been adding food ideas on there for quite a while.  

• Like 1

On 3/31/2022 at 11:03 AM, taylortime05 said:

I absolutely loved the Rome Cavalieri and would stay there in a heartbeat if they were available for my October trip.

They have a shuttle that takes you to Rome and I never found it difficult to get back to the Cavalieri when needed.

Hi everyone.  Just gone through the 18 odd pages that are in here and no one has mentioned Relais Fontana De Trevi or Home in Rome Trevi.  Most accommodation has gone around the Panthenon.  I could find Hotel Navona with a room in May when I will be there but thought I'd ask if anyone knows of the the other hotels.  They look like they have good reviews on Tripadvisor.  We are a party of 4.  Thanks in advance

2 hours ago, Charmslittleworld said:

Hi everyone.  Just gone through the 18 odd pages that are in here and no one has mentioned Relais Fontana De Trevi or Home in Rome Trevi.  Most accommodation has gone around the Panthenon.  I could find Hotel Navona with a room in May when I will be there but thought I'd ask if anyone knows of the the other hotels.  They look like they have good reviews on Tripadvisor.  We are a party of 4.  Thanks in advance

In general I am less inclined to stay near Trevi just because the area is always so thronged with people, and I enjoy the Pantheon/Navona area more overall. I can't say I know that much about the hotels in the immediate vicinity of Trevi, but just looking up a few on the Relais Fontana de Trevi there are some less than positive reviews about the hotel itself which, when coupled with the location would cause me to look elsewhere.

Home in Rome Trevi is not really a hotel -- it is a guesthouse with limited services, not that it's a bad thing but just something to be aware of. There probably will not be someone onsite who can help with directions or reservations, etc.  It does get pretty good ratings and the location looks pretty decent -- not so close to Trevi that you are in the midst of the crowds. So if you are up for it, then it seems like a reasonable choice.

• Like 1