Perth to Sydney 2021

3 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I don't mind chopping up spuds but I hate peeling them, that's Rob's job.  I have never had tinned spuds Les.

Leigh

They are ok for a quick potato salad too Leigh, if one is too lazy to boil some.  Now I will drop another 'lazy cook moment' on you...I eat Deb Instant mashed potato too.  Oh dear she says...poor Uncle Les.

th (5).jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, NSWP said:

They are ok for a quick potato salad too Leigh, if one is too lazy to boil some.  Now I will drop another 'lazy cook moment' on you...I eat Deb Instant mashed potato too.  Oh dear she says...poor Uncle Les.

th (5).jpg

Nothing wrong with Deb.  Their mashed potato with onion is particularly tasty.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vader1111 said:

Nothing wrong with Deb.  Their mashed potato with onion is particularly tasty.

Sure is, the onion one is good.  Many of the frozen cottage pies and shepherds pies you buy from the supermarkets have instant mashed potato on top as do some of the bakeries that produce the potato pies primary.jpg.2e9ab2377bd3b314c73fbb31f3c164d2.jpg

Edited by NSWP

4 minutes ago, NSWP said:

th (5).jpg

Instant mashed potatoes ☹️. Years ago I remember visiting people in California. We were invited to stay for dinner. A tin of ham was put in the oven and our hostess whipped up some instant mashed spuds and boiled some frozen peas. It was interesting. OK. I shouldn't criticize when we were invited to stay for a meal.

• Like 1

Just now, Aus Traveller said:

Instant mashed potatoes ☹️. Years ago I remember visiting people in California. We were invited to stay for dinner. A tin of ham was put in the oven and our hostess whipped up some instant mashed spuds and boiled some frozen peas. It was interesting. OK. I shouldn't criticize when we were invited to stay for a meal.

Nothing wrong with frozen peas or even dried peas, who uses fresh peas these days? I remember my mother opening all these pods for the peas to pop out.

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

Nothing wrong with frozen peas or even dried peas, who uses fresh peas these days? I remember my mother opening all these pods for the peas to pop out.

I use frozen peas these days, but I suppose it was the other items served that let the meal down.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I use frozen peas these days, but I suppose it was the other items served that let the meal down.

As long as you enjoyed it, did you wash it down with a bottle or two of California Chardonnay, from Napa Valley perhaps? 

15 minutes ago, Vader1111 said:

I don't mind frozen peas - but boiling them removes all of the flavour and nutrients.  Much better to whack them in the microwave for a minute or two.  They come out steaming hot, and still taste good.

That is what I do, couple of minutes with a sprig of mint or butter after.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, NSWP said:

th (5).jpg

A long time since I used Deb Les. But I usually have some frozen mashed potato on hand if I'm running late with dinner and need some quickly.

Leigh

• Like 1

One of the culinary delights of marrying into an American family was canned vegetables —especially Peas and green beans. 

When we came back to Oz, we would buy fresh or frozen (frozen often retains more nutrients ).  She had never had the experience of shelling fresh peas before. 

The bride kept missing her canned beans, so we bought some. Noticed how grey they looked, how salty they tasted, and how soggy they felt in the mouth. Never bought those again. 

I haven't seen tinned potatoes.  I come from farming stock, so my aunt used to buy dirt potatoes in the sack, which went in the pantry.  I asked the fruiterer why potatoes don't keep as long any more.  He advised me to only buy dirt potatoes and they keep.

19 minutes ago, possum52 said:

A long time since I used Deb Les. But I usually have some frozen mashed potato on hand if I'm running late with dinner and need some quickly.

Leigh

My late wife refused to eat Deb Leigh, so I prepared my own. I have done the cooking at our home(s) for most of the past 48 yrs, not always, but the bulk of it, because I like cooking.  These days I chuck so much fresh vegetables, salad stuff out, it goes off, so I buy a lot of prepared stuff or very small quantities of fresh produce, if you know what I mean.

2 minutes ago, NSWP said:

My late wife refused to eat Deb Leigh, so I prepared my own. I have done the cooking at our home(s) for most of the past 48 yrs, not always, but the bulk of it, because I like cooking.  These days I chuck so much fresh vegetables, salad stuff out, it goes off, so I buy a lot of prepared stuff or very small quantities of fresh produce, if you know what I mean.

Even with two of us, I tend to buy too much fresh food. I think after feeding a family for over 20 years it becomes second nature to buy more.

Leigh

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

One of the culinary delights of marrying into an American family was canned vegetables —especially Peas and green beans. 

When we came back to Oz, we would buy fresh or frozen (frozen often retains more nutrients ).  She had never had the experience of shelling fresh peas before. 

The bride kept missing her canned beans, so we bought some. Noticed how grey they looked, how salty they tasted, and how soggy they felt in the mouth. Never bought those again. 

Talking about canned veges in the USA reminds me of as a boy living in Germany with my soldier father, we shared the base with US Army.. We were allowed to shop at the American PX store, which is Post Store or military supermarket, all new to us, like Aladdins Cave with all the canned stuff available to the Americans and not obtainable in UK, talking about circa 1960.

I used to love canned peas when I was younger. I was probably well into my 20's before I switched to frozen peas. They are the only frozen vegetable that I like though. The texture of them doesn't change much through freezing like other veges do. 

I often make my own oven chips, which mostly come out really well. The trick is to ensure there is plenty of space around each chip so they go crisp. For variety I cube the potatoes instead then sprinkle rosemary and salt flakes on them.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I used to love canned peas when I was younger. I was probably well into my 20's before I switched to frozen peas. They are the only frozen vegetable that I like though. The texture of them doesn't change much through freezing like other veges do. 

I often make my own oven chips, which mostly come out really well. The trick is to ensure there is plenty of space around each chip so they go crisp. For variety I cube the potatoes instead then sprinkle rosemary and salt flakes on them.

Amother idea for a change with the home made chips and cubes , coat with breadcrumbs.🤗

16 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Different customs.  When I visited the US for the first time, I was invited for dinner.  When I got to their home, I was surprised to discover that we were going to a cafe for dinner.  That was a first for me.  

15 hours ago, possum52 said:

Even with two of us, I tend to buy too much fresh food. I think after feeding a family for over 20 years it becomes second nature to buy more.

Leigh

Me too Leigh.  I still buy a whole small pumpkin, not a piece, and 3 kg potatoes etc.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Me too Leigh.  I still buy a whole small pumpkin, not a piece, and 3 kg potatoes etc.

My greengrocer has half or quarters of big items like pumpkins, cabbages, cauliflower, celery. Other vegetables are loose so I just buy what I need for a few days.

• Like 1

Well Sue, as you will have noticed, food and drink are very important in this part of the world.

I mentioned the Margaret River region south of Perth. Some great wineries down there. Many pair with cellar door restaurants for those long hot summer days as there is plenty of great produce.  If self-driving, ensure there is a designated driver.

Around Adelaide there are also great wine and food regions. Perhaps most famous is the Barossa Valley. But also McLaren Vale and others. The Barossa has a very strong German heritage Fleeing religious persecution.  

I have been to Adelaide quite a few times, mostly for work. When I was there is December I took the ship’s tour to the Barossa town of Hahndorf. Probably the major German settlement. Beautiful area, great food and handicrafts. Some higher end art, such as the Hans Heysen Gallery on the edge of town.

if there are beer drinkers in your group, whatever you do in Adelaide is to avoid anything called Wet End or Southwark. Coopers is very good. Nowhere in Australia order Fosters. Horrible stuff that will immediately mark you as tourists.

54 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

My greengrocer has half or quarters of big items like pumpkins, cabbages, cauliflower, celery. Other vegetables are loose so I just buy what I need for a few days.

I decide what to cook according to what is in season and what I buy.  From a beautiful big cauliflower I just bought from the market, today I will make cauliflower and bacon soup with half and I'll use the rest as vegetable with meals.  I got turned off portions, when half melons had disease.  I figure the less people contact to our food the better.