Perth to Sydney 2021

18 hours ago, NSWP said:

Nothing wrong with frozen peas or even dried peas, who uses fresh peas these days? I remember my mother opening all these pods for the peas to pop out.

My mother still uses all fresh vegetables Les. Pods her peas, does her own beans etc.

I use a mixture of fresh and frozen.

Leigh

7 minutes ago, possum52 said:

My mother still uses all fresh vegetables Les. Pods her peas, does her own beans etc.

I use a mixture of fresh and frozen.

Leigh

I mainly use fresh vegetables.  I love the taste of fresh peas, but they are not readily available in Qld.  When I pod them, one for the pot, one for me!

4 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I run out of room in my fridge if I buy too many big veges.

I thought my fridge would be big enough but it can fill easily. I buy enough fresh fruit and veggies to last a week as I try only to shop once a week at this time. Depending on what I buy, is what I use in my meals. I would usually have tomatoes, salad stuff, zuchinnis, sweet potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, capsicums and potatoes. I don't particularly like cauliflower, so don't buy it often. Only buy pumpkin if going to use it for soup. 

Leigh

19 hours ago, NSWP said:

You must be a handy cook Leigh. going to the trouble of chopping up spuds.  You know what is missing from the shelves these days?  Canned potatoes, just me now to feed and tin of spuds would be handy in the pantry, Edgell used to produce them.  Maybe they all went in the panic buying.

th (2).jpg

Can still buy these at Supermarkets but you will find them hiding on the bottom shelf - hate that we have to look for Aussie Brands - but agree these fry up very nicely in a bit of butter. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Both the fish & chip shops we use have fresh chips. You can see the potatoes soaking in water. Also a large rack of chip baskets full of chips that are pre-blanched in oil ready for the final crisp up while the fish fries.

On our list when International flights reopen - been to Vancouver, so now need to add Victoria 👍 Any reason can be a good reason, yes?

5 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Can still buy these at Supermarkets but you will find them hiding on the bottom shelf - hate that we have to look for Aussie Brands - but agree these fry up very nicely in a bit of butter. 

Bottom shelf.  Maybe that is why I hadn't seen them. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BrissieB said:

In a previous lifetime I worked in a fish and chips shop and I can tell you much of the 'good' chipness is the cooking.  The type of oil makes a difference, if the oil is recently changed, the chips cooked in a separate fryer to other fried food and the chips cooked on the spot not sitting in the fryer waiting for the next order.  All things I never thought of before buying chips but make me a fusspot now 🙂.

My local fish and chippery takes great pride in their product. Not to long ago I went there for my weekly Tuesday lunch and the owner had placed a sign on the counter apologising to customers for not being able to source their preferred potatoes. Not being a fried potato sommelier I couldn't tell the difference but the owner knows what is best product.

My standard order is three battered (crumbed is is also available) cocktail fish pieces and a 1/2 serve of chips. Chip portions are 1/2 small, small, regular and large. The servings are huge. I can't eat all my 1/2 serve in one go. I save the uneaten chips in small zip lock bags and keep in the freezer until I cook a meal that I want chips with. To re-cook I nuke them for 30 seconds and the drop them in my 1 litre deep fryer for a minute and they're done. The cocktail fish pieces are about twice the size of your average cocktail piece. I usually eat two and the cat gets the other.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Vader1111 said:

I don't mind frozen peas - but boiling them removes all of the flavour and nutrients.  Much better to whack them in the microwave for a minute or two.  They come out steaming hot, and still taste good.

That's what I do with frozen mixed veges (sans little green and white trees). I also drizzle some honey over them first.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

I have no idea what a fish cocktail piece is. Can you let me know, please?

My normal order is battered flake.

Small pieces of battered, fried fish that are often served as finger food.

You like shark then? Me too, but don't see around very much these days.

I like a good fillet of hake which, I was informed a couple of days ago, is gem fish.

Edited by lyndarra

4 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

On our list when International flights reopen - been to Vancouver, so now need to add Victoria 👍 Any reason can be a good reason, yes?

Just be aware Air Canada still hasn't given refund for two business class flights to Vancouver to join cancelled cruise in July.  

12 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I like a good fillet of hake which, I was informed a couple of days ago, is gem fish.

The best shark I've ever tasted was gummy shark, in Tasmania.  

18 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

We would call those fish bites.

I like flake, and my local has a nice thickish fillet.

We did have another place that had whiting tails in a tempura batter, hand cut chips, and a nice fresh salad. Changed hands, went to frozen chips (badly cooked), smaller serves, less fresh, gluggy batter, and upped the price 25%. Lost lots of its business.

Edited by Docker123

46 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Flake would be the fish of choice at most Victorian fish and chop shops. Then there could be barramundi, flathead tails, whiting, blue grenadier etc. 

Leigh

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

I have a huge four door refrigerator.

*turns green with envy*

I have the biggest fridge that fits in my kitchen but it's not quite big enough, especially at the moment when we're trying to minimize shopping trips.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

*turns green with envy*

I have the biggest fridge that fits in my kitchen but it's not quite big enough, especially at the moment when we're trying to minimize shopping trips.

Our fridge is fairly large but we have had it for ages. Husband was looking at new ones in a catalogue the other day and I found him in the kitchen measuring. Unfortunately, the one he thought would fit wouldn't!😀

Unfortunately a four door fridge won't be in our kitchen any time soon unless we renovate.

Leigh

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

*turns green with envy*

I doubt I will ever built]d another house with an enclosed fridge space, a bugger when we had to replace our fridge a year or so back, first six wee looked at all had a cm or so one way or the other too much.

2 hours ago, Docker123 said:

I have no idea what a fish cocktail piece is. Can you let me know, please?

My normal order is battered flake.

Fish cocktails are popular in NSW, usually made with the cheapest fish available, but boneless, or should be.  Good to eat in a park etc, no knife and fork, sanitized fingers required.

Edited by NSWP

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

Those jacket potatoes look gorgeous. You mention there is bacon and sweet corn, but what else is there?

Creamed corn, little chopped onion, some shredded tasty cheese, some green leaves, all under the gorilla.

6 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Fish cocktails are popular in NSW, usually made with the cheapest fish available, but boneless, or should be.  Good to eat in a park etc, no knife and fork, sanitized fingers required.

you people really do live in a different country.