Princess Ventilation Systems

greenumbrella

Does anyone know if Princess has made any changes to ventilation systems?  Since it seems that airborne COVID was spread on ships early on, I would feel better about cruising next year if I knew they had added HEPA filters or UV lights or whatever the latest science recommends.  You can be very clean, wear masks in public areas, but if there is a chance of the virus being piped into my cabin while I sleep I am less interested in cruising again.

I'm not aware of any substantial changes but clearly this is a area that must be addressed.

Although we remain good customers of Princess, the ventilation systems onboard have long been suspected of contributing to respiratory maladies for us - and quite a few other passengers that we have met while cruising. 

Changkp has provided some excellent descriptions of ship HVAC systems on these boards. I think he mentioned that cabin systems are separate. He also discussed hepa filters. Maybe he can repost or refer you to one of his previous posts.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, skynight said:

Changkp has provided some excellent descriptions of ship HVAC systems on these boards. I think he mentioned that cabin systems are separate. He also discussed hepa filters. Maybe he can repost or refer you to one of his previous posts.

Or the poster can research to look for those threads. There are very many of them. 

And it was NOT the HVAC systems that spread the virus.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, greenumbrella said:

Does anyone know if Princess has made any changes to ventilation systems?

changes - that IS what IS the most important - not what WAS, but what IS, or will be ...

so it depends on what the definition of what IS, is

Edited by voljeep

1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

There is no evidence that the ventilation system played any role whatsoever in the transmission of the virus onboard any ship.

The Diamond Princess is the most extreme example of COVID on a ship. The Japanese Health report concluded that the virus was NOT spread through the ventilation system. They believe most of the infections occurred before passengers were isolated in their cabins and that further infections were spread by crew who cooked and delivered the meals to cabins.

Edited by Aus Traveller

8 hours ago, greenumbrella said:

Thank you all for the information so far!  Glad to know about the Diamond.  I heard Norwegian has added HEPA filters so there must be some reason to expect it to help.

Good PR!! Make the customers feel more comfortable and therefore more inclined to book. 🙂