Where was I?

1 hour ago, vada_9 said:

Correct, but we were heading the other way.  Cairns to Brisbane. These are the rail beds. Your turn

We went Brisbane to Cairns in 2009 when they still had the Queenslander Class - pullman sleeper carriages, a bar/lounge carriage and a dining carriage. It was great fun. They gave us lovely robes and slippers to take home as souvenirs. 

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

My immediate thought was the Ghan or Indian Pacific but the can of 4X put me off that idea.🙄

XXXX Gold is the worst 'adult beverage' in the woooorld.  Ghastly stuff. But the Queenslanders love it.  It is a mid strength beer, 3.5% ABV something like that.

Edited by NSWP

6 minutes ago, NSWP said:

XXXX Gold is the worst 'adult beverage' in the woooorld.  Ghastly stuff. But the Queenslanders love it.  It is a mid strength beer, 3.5% ABV something like that.

Although I don't have personal experience with this Australian brand I would counter that Molson Canadian is an awful brew, best left wherever it is found.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I can't drink 4x either, terrible stuff.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We went Brisbane to Cairns in 2009 when they still had the Queenslander Class - pullman sleeper carriages, a bar/lounge carriage and a dining carriage. It was great fun. They gave us lovely robes and slippers to take home as souvenirs. 

Wish they still had sleeper cabins, the railbeds whilst comfortable, during the day no problems, at night when you pull into the station you hear the announcements - "doors closing"  etc (and the lights etc through the door). There was a takeaway area, but meals were served at your seat.

2 minutes ago, vada_9 said:

Wish they still had sleeper cabins, the railbeds whilst comfortable, during the day no problems, at night when you pull into the station you hear the announcements - "doors closing"  etc (and the lights etc through the door). There was a takeaway area, but meals were served at your seat.

Plus you hear everyone else in that carriage snoring etc, just like on plane.

I'm glad we did that run before they got rid of the Queenslander Class.

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It wasn't in China but you're on the right track.

So they took it on the road? They did that with Tutankhamun many years ago, they even had the mask. There was a touring exhibit just a couple of years ago, we were going to go to Seattle to see it; then I found out most of the artifacts never leave Egypt anymore. We cancelled that plan.

18 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

So they took it on the road? They did that with Tutankhamun many years ago, they even had the mask. There was a touring exhibit just a couple of years ago, we were going to go to Seattle to see it; then I found out most of the artifacts never leave Egypt anymore. We cancelled that plan.

They took some of them on the road. A very small selection but fascinating anyway.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

They took some of them on the road. A very small selection but fascinating anyway.

Well it seems this exhibition has been around a bit. I'll try the one that you didn't have to leave Australia to see. The National Gallery of Victoria in Melbourne.

55 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well it seems this exhibition has been around a bit. I'll try the one that you didn't have to leave Australia to see. The National Gallery of Victoria in Melbourne.

Sorry, Lyle, we saw it in NZ in 2019 before it went to Melbourne. We were on a Celebrity Solstice cruise which, of course, was the ship in Akaroa Harbour in the photo before mine. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

No, not there.

I am not sure where Somewhere is, is it on the North or South Island?

It depends on where you are. Somewhere is always where you aren't. And if it's not somewhere it could be elsewhere.