Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

4 hours ago, sogne said:

try this not a recent call

cvb.jpg

I thought I was going to have to try to find itineraries for Costa Mediterranea to cross-reference with QV's itineraries. In fact I  started down that road but wasn't getting very far with that venture. I miss the old "cruisecal" website that had a ship intersect function. Unfortunately that site shut down for good when cruising paused in 2020.

Then I thought that building between the two ships looked familiar. Sure enough, I was able to match that building to one of the images in my webcam archives. I think this is Stavanger, Norway.

This view is a little bit different from more typical views of ships docked at Stavanger since QV is not docked at the pier furthest in, Strandkaien, but rather at the next pier out, Konserthuskaien. Costa Mediterranea apparently got one of the piers closer in and is passing QV on her way out of port.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I thought I was going to have to try to find itineraries for Costa Mediterranea to cross-reference with QV's itineraries. In fact I  started down that road but wasn't getting very far with that venture. I miss the old "cruisecal" website that had a ship intersect function. Unfortunately that site shut down for good when cruising paused in 2020.

Then I thought that building between the two ships looked familiar. Sure enough, I was able to match that building to one of the images in my webcam archives. I think this is Stavanger, Norway.

This view is a little bit different from more typical views of ships docked at Stavanger since QV is not docked at the pier furthest in, Strandkaien, but rather at the next pier out, Konserthuskaien. Costa Mediterranea apparently got one of the piers closer in and is passing QV on her way out of port.

correct Stavanger was much quieter when Costa Med left at 1300

10 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Here's one that would be easy if it weren't for the rain. It still may be fairly easy with the rain. This is a webcam image showing a Cunard ship at a port we've seen before.

WhereintheWorld(168).thumb.jpg.67b8b5f19d59096f5e4c8170ae36893d.jpg

I’m going to start with the obvious - Southampton. 

13 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Here's one that would be easy if it weren't for the rain. It still may be fairly easy with the rain. This is a webcam image showing a Cunard ship at a port we've seen before.

Belfast?  There's a potential match for the cranes and angle of the cruise ship pier.  Except that I can't find a live webcam with this view.  QV was there twice in 2023.

Edited by sfred

23 hours ago, bluemarble said:

WhereintheWorld(168).thumb.jpg.67b8b5f19d59096f5e4c8170ae36893d.jpg

Here's one of my own photos of this same port showing a rainbow as we were departing. This image may be more helpful since at least it's not obscured by raindrops.

WhereintheWorld(168a).thumb.jpg.f1d8d92018c07666a4c69d7a418e533b.jpg

Just now, exlondoner said:

Well then what about Hamburg, as we are running though all the most Cunardy ports?

Yes indeed, that's Hamburg. That photo of mine is the view looking toward the east up the river Elbe not long after departing Cruise Center Steinwerder.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

Here's one of my own photos of this same port showing a rainbow as we were departing. This image may be more helpful since at least it's not obscured by raindrops.

WhereintheWorld(168a).thumb.jpg.f1d8d92018c07666a4c69d7a418e533b.jpg

That looks like the retired sub on the centre left of thr tugs/fireboats

28 minutes ago, sogne said:

That looks like the retired sub on the centre left of thr tugs/fireboats

Oh, yes it is. I hadn't noticed that detail. My research tells me that's the U-434 Submarine Museum. Might be something I'd like to check out next time we're in Hamburg. There's a U-boat not too far from our home town; the U-505 at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago.

3 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Yes indeed, that's Hamburg. That photo of mine is the view looking toward the east up the river Elbe not long after departing Cruise Center Steinwerder.

I thought it might be Hamburg from the cranes, but then I didn't see the tall'ish buildings (which are in google views and in your hint photo) in the webcam, so I moved on to other potential locations and tried Belfast.  Perhaps the Hamburg buildings are behind the rain in the webcam, or just obscured in the low light..

27 minutes ago, sfred said:

I thought it might be Hamburg from the cranes, but then I didn't see the tall'ish buildings (which are in google views and in your hint photo) in the webcam, so I moved on to other potential locations and tried Belfast.  Perhaps the Hamburg buildings are behind the rain in the webcam, or just obscured in the low light..

The webcam is located near Cruise Center Altona looking south across the river Elbe. Cruise Center Steinwerder is in the distance at the far right. At the center and left are some of the Blohm+Voss shipyard facilities. That explains the lack of tall buildings in that particular view.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Oh, yes it is. I hadn't noticed that detail. My research tells me that's the U-434 Submarine Museum. Might be something I'd like to check out next time we're in Hamburg. There's a U-boat not too far from our home town; the U-505 at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago.

a closer view ex Soviet 

U 434 Hamburg (2).JPG

U 434 Hamburg (3).JPG

• Like 3

Here's one more to try. This is another webcam capture showing a Cunard ship departing a port we've seen before. Most of the pixelation is in the original webcam image presumably to protect privacy. I've only blurred the black rectangles in the lower corners containing captions and date stamps which would have given it away.

WhereintheWorld(167).thumb.jpg.736470ef7efb2c6de9c9777920af35d1.jpg

1 hour ago, sfred said:

QE at Wellington NZ?

Correct. That's QE departing Wellington on December 9th after her recent visit there, as seen from one of the Beacon Hill webcams hosted by the Greater Wellington Regional Council.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1