Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

40 minutes ago, sfred said:

I had made a note for this port also when I saw it on the itinerary, and found the same webcam covering the piers as you did.  This port isn't included n the typical schedules. 

I've been there once many years ago while doing a work project in a nearby city.  A pleasant town.

Thanks for the clue. I looked at QE current itinerary, brought up the webcam for her position in New Plymouth, NZ, and saw the same  photo. 

It was not one of our stops on our weeks-long land tour around New Zealand a few years ago. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ExArkie said:

Thanks for the clue. I looked at QE current itinerary, brought up the webcam for her position in New Plymouth, NZ, and saw the same  photo. 

It was not one of our stops on our weeks-long land tour around New Zealand a few years ago. 

Correct. I couldn't resist posting that one right away since New Plymouth is a port we haven't seen yet on this thread. It isn't on our unseen ports list since this is not only a maiden call for QE, as far as I know this is the first time any Cunard ship has called there. Until today, New Plymouth has not been a Cunard port.

That image is from the "Chimney North-East View" webcam on the Primo website at primo.nz. They host a variety of webcam images around the New Plymouth area.

• Like 3

New Plymouth is port number 638, and number 11 in New Zealand.  Nice to have another new port in our southern lands.  105 are South of the equator, 40 of which are West longitude and 65 East.

When I was looking at our seen and unseen lists to verify New Plymouth, I noticed that the unseen list includes Milford Sound as a NZ cruise-by, and the seen list includes Fiordland NZ.  Fiordland is the overall name for the national park encompassing Doubtful and Milford sounds.  @bluemarble, should your recent Christmas post of QE in Milford Sound count as a new port, or should we remove Milford Sound from the unseen list given that we have Fiordland?  I tried a search for Fiordland to see what photo put it into the seen list, but there are 0 results so the post must be too old to not be searchable anymore.

57 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

That image is from the "Chimney North-East View" webcam on the Primo website at primo.nz. They host a variety of webcam images around the New Plymouth area.

The New Plymouth chimney, part of the local electrical power station,  is a rather prominent local landmark and can be seen from many parts of the town.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Plymouth_Power_Station

I was last in New Plymouth in 1988 (gasp - over 35 years ago) while doing a work project in nearby Wellington.  I drove up one weekend and had a look around.  It was winter in NZ, and I remember the town as rather pleasant but with a biting cold wind and rain coming in off the Tasman sea that day.  Today doesn't look too much warmer for QE's pasengers and crew.  Only 22c and light rain.

1 hour ago, sfred said:

When I was looking at our seen and unseen lists to verify New Plymouth, I noticed that the unseen list includes Milford Sound as a NZ cruise-by, and the seen list includes Fiordland NZ.  Fiordland is the overall name for the national park encompassing Doubtful and Milford sounds.  @bluemarble, should your recent Christmas post of QE in Milford Sound count as a new port, or should we remove Milford Sound from the unseen list given that we have Fiordland?  I tried a search for Fiordland to see what photo put it into the seen list, but there are 0 results so the post must be too old to not be searchable anymore.

Good point. Here are the previous posts on this thread regarding Fiordland National Park and Milford Sound. I think you will see a couple of familiar names who posted those earlier images and identified them. 😉 It's unfortunate that the Cruise Critic search function no longer indexes posts that are more than about a year old.

On 9/23/2020 at 7:43 AM, bluemarble said:

Here are a couple QE bridge webcam shots taken a few hours apart during one of her "Cruise By" calls. Can you name this location?

qel.jpg.86aeaa04a5aabd7d375db73f2e356c5e.jpg   qel.jpg.d37c052edc9e30e901eae36a3e3ca2e0.jpg

On 9/23/2020 at 4:27 PM, sfred said:

Milford Sound, New Zealand?

On 9/23/2020 at 5:23 PM, bluemarble said:

Well done. I captured those QE webcam images on December 26, 2019 when the itinerary states "Fiordland National Park, New Zealand".  I couldn't say for sure which sound(s) those images are showing. The timestamps on the images indicate the first one was captured about 7:30am local NZ time while the second one was captured about 3:00pm.

I would like to include each of the individual sounds within Fiordland National Park in our "seen" ports list if we can identify the specific sounds. I think QE may have also visited Dusky Sound on the afternoon of Christmas Day after visiting Milford Sound in the morning. At least I think that's what I saw watching her track but I couldn't find any webcams at Dusky Sound.

We should certainly remove Milford Sound from the "unseen" ports list now. My suggestion is to add Dusky Sound as another "unseen" Cruise-By Call and change the existing entry for Fiordland in our "seen" ports list to read as follows.

"Milford Sound, Fiordland National Park, New Zealand"

Then if we can identify or get future images of a Cunard ship in Doubtful Sound or Dusky Sound we can add those as separate entries in our "seen" ports list within Fiordland National Park.

Here are my updated lists of our "seen" and "unseen" Cunard ports including those suggested changes.

Where in the World 2023-12-28.txt   Cunard ports not seen yet 2023-12-28.txt

Edited by bluemarble
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

updated lists of our "seen" and "unseen" Cunard ports

If you accept this picture I took while in Norfolk, Va, here’s one of the Battleship Wisconsin at port in Norfolk. Newport News is across Hampton Roads and probably not in this picture. Not sure if this bends the rules?
WisconsinAug2017_Original.thumb.jpeg.ea5a88ebcc0e022228ee764ccdfaf109.jpeg

I think you will see a couple of familiar names who posted those earlier images and identified them. 😉

D'oh!  A pity that my memory, like the Cruise Critic search function, only goes back for a limited time!

We should certainly remove Milford Sound from the "unseen" ports list now. My suggestion is to add Dusky Sound as another "unseen" Cruise-By Call and change the existing entry for Fiordland in our "seen" ports list to read as follows.

Sounds good.  I will do so in my PowerBI dataset.

31 minutes ago, NE John said:

If you accept this picture I took while in Norfolk, Va, here’s one of the Battleship Wisconsin at port in Norfolk. Newport News is across Hampton Roads and probably not in this picture. Not sure if this bends the rules?
WisconsinAug2017_Original.thumb.jpeg.ea5a88ebcc0e022228ee764ccdfaf109.jpeg

Marvelous picture! Since this was taken at Norfolk, I'm afraid we'll have to count it as another view of the port of Norfolk which is already in our "seen" ports list. I appreciate the contribution nonetheless. Always good to see a new perspective on a port we've seen before.

1 minute ago, bluemarble said:

Marvelous picture! Since this was taken at Norfolk, I'm afraid we'll have to count it as another view of the port of Norfolk which is already in our "seen" ports list. I appreciate the contribution nonetheless. Always good to see a new perspective on a port we've seen before.

Thanks. I love ships!
Understood on not fulfilling Newport News missing port. 

9 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Good point. Here are the previous posts on this thread regarding Fiordland National Park and Milford Sound. I think you will see a couple of familiar names who posted those earlier images and identified them. 😉 It's unfortunate that the Cruise Critic search function no longer indexes posts that are more than about a year old.

I would like to include each of the individual sounds within Fiordland National Park in our "seen" ports list if we can identify the specific sounds. I think QE may have also visited Dusky Sound on the afternoon of Christmas Day after visiting Milford Sound in the morning. At least I think that's what I saw watching her track but I couldn't find any webcams at Dusky Sound.

Then if we can identify or get future images of a Cunard ship in Doubtful Sound or Dusky Sound we can add those as separate entries in our "seen" ports list within Fiordland National Park.

Here are my updated lists of our "seen" and "unseen" Cunard ports including those suggested changes.

Where in the World 2023-12-28.txt 13.65 kB · 5 downloads     Cunard ports not seen yet 2023-12-28.txt 5.4 kB · 7 downloads

Do you mean Hrisey sail by outward from Akureyri? in list of unseen

5 hours ago, sogne said:

Do you mean Hrisey sail by outward from Akureyri? in list of unseen

Yes, Hrisey is listed as a "sail-by" or "cruise-by" call from Akureyri on several Cunard itineraries. For example, there are two such voyages listed on the 2020 itineraries (V019 and V022) and two on the 2021 itineraries (V117 and V120). There are three more listed that way in the 2024-2025 brochure (H417, H516 and H520 on Queen Anne).

3 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Any thoughts on this location?

image.thumb.png.f75072bd495e558316707d89b48a4a4e.png

image.thumb.png.800d90d443e227ed8eebe0afea5c9be0.png

Looks like it may not have taken long for the newly added cruise-by entry to our "unseen" list to be posted. I haven't found a match for the second photo. And I'd be more confident identifying the first photo if the clouds weren't obscuring what's in the distance. But I'm getting a good enough match to what we can see in that first photo to take a guess. I think the first photo is showing us Dusky Sound, Fiordland National Park, New Zealand.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, sfred said:

Wow - four new locations added within a little over a day. 

638  New Plymouth, NZ

639  Nordfjord, Norway

640  Hrisey, Iceland

and pending confirmation from @Colin_Cameron,

641  Dusky Sound, Fiordland, NZ

Yes, some excellent contributions today to add locations to our "seen" list. Glad to see there's still interest in this thread.

I wasn't totally convinced @sogne's latest photos were Hrisey even though the comments certainly pointed that way. I put those on the back burner while I worked on @Colin_Cameron's photos.

I finally found a couple photos of Hrisey taken from a similar angle, one of which has identical snow patterns on the hills in the distance. You may gotten to that point before me. Anyway, I'm convinced now those are indeed photos of Hrisey.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Yes, some excellent contributions today to add locations to our "seen" list. Glad to see there's still interest in this thread.

I wasn't totally convinced @sogne's latest photos were Hrisey even though the comments certainly pointed that way. I put those on the back burner while I worked on @Colin_Cameron's photos.

I finally found a couple photos of Hrisey taken from a similar angle, one of which has identical snow patterns on the hills in the distance. You may gotten to that point before me. Anyway, I'm convinced now those are indeed photos of Hrisey.

The lighthouse atthe north end is another clue.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'll offer a slightly different twist to our game for your consideration today. Here are two different webcam captures taken within 24 hours of each other showing two different Cunard ships at two different locations. The first image is showing a ship arriving at a port which is off the left of the image. The second image is showing a Cunard ship departing a port which is in the far distance toward the right.

The twist is that both webcam locations are at beaches with the same name. There is also a popular beach in England with that same name.

Please name the two Cunard ports associated with these images (we've seen them before) as well as the name of the beach shared by these two camera locations and a beach in England.

I'll suspend our usual rule of one guess per day for this one. Instead, one guess per day for each part of the puzzle will be fine. If you can solve all three parts of this puzzle in one go, go ahead. Or if you'd prefer to solve only one or two parts of the puzzle, that's all good too.

WhereintheWorld(165).thumb.jpg.0dc559b732cfeb9a03d3cfb679961823.jpg

WhereintheWorld(166).thumb.jpg.e9202a6b967819106d0d897db9de59a0.jpg

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Are they Brightons, or New Brightons?

Bingo! Both webcam images were captured within 24 hours of each other from Brighton Beach in two entirely different parts of the world.

Now we need to name the two Cunard ports near those two different Brighton Beaches.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Bingo! Both webcam images were captured within 24 hours of each other from Brighton Beach in two entirely different parts of the world.

Now we need to name the two Cunard ports near those two different Brighton Beaches.

I think I might leave that to the better travelled, but is one near San Francisco?

11 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I think I might leave that to the better travelled, but is one near San Francisco?

Bette Midler film Beaches early scenes were filmed at Brighton Beach so this maybe a Brooklyn answer.