Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

2 minutes ago, sfred said:

Is that Fort San Diego in Acapulco, Mexico?

Yes.

Didn't think it would be too difficult. Do you like the U.F.O?

Here's the other photos in the sequence. It illustrates that if you use the deck plans carefully you can book an obstructed view that isn't too badly obstructed and lets in lots of light.

That's E063 on Arcadia. Equivalent to 4063 on QV & QE.

DSCF0002.thumb.JPG.33bc76085c97fed55a138d7967378376.JPG

DSCF0003.thumb.JPG.e17ba077cebfb6a5bc3d125cdf569885.JPG

DSCF0004.thumb.JPG.62616efcd8fcbd82eec1de6ade27afe3.JPG

DSCF0007.thumb.JPG.0a7f39d295df9e4c0f32c9482d477c7f.JPG

• Like 1

Fort San Diego has a rich history.  Built in 1617 to guard the then-Spanish trading port from pirates, it now serves as a museum (and deterrent to UFOs  🙂 👽 ).

• Haha 2

Here are two photos taken from a Cunard ship within about an hour of each other. Here's the twist. We have not seen either of these locations on this thread yet. The second photo is a location on our unseen ports list but the first photo is not on that list. The location in the first photo has probably been visited by Cunard ships before, we just haven't realized it. These photos are courtesy of Kate Smith.

WhereintheWorld(174).thumb.jpg.22f0fcd9742d012980eeb3b192c85c74.jpg

WhereintheWorld(175).thumb.jpg.3e7ed57f44a82a28504db383137c2566.jpg

25 minutes ago, NE John said:

My initial guess is QE sailing in the fjords of New Zealand. 

You are on the right track. We now need to identify these two specific locations within the fjords of New Zealand. As a reminder, we've identified the following two locations on this thread previously.

Dusky Sound, Fiordland, New Zealand

Milford Sound, Fiordland, New Zealand

What two locations are these latest photos?

3 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

You are on the right track. We now need to identify these two specific locations within the fjords of New Zealand. As a reminder, we've identified the following two locations on this thread previously.

Dusky Sound, Fiordland, New Zealand

Milford Sound, Fiordland, New Zealand

What two locations are these latest photos?

I’m going to let those from that region take over from here. Googling can only take one so far…

I noticed yesterday on marinetraffic.com that QE was doing a cruise-by of Doubtful Sound, NZ after departing Milford Sound.  I found a webcam but it did not have a rewind capability and so could not find QE.  Well done to find a passenger photographer, @bluemarble, and thanks to Kate Smith!

Your hint that the two photos were taken within an hour of the second implies that QE's course track to or from Doubtful Sound passed through one of the other nearby sounds.  I tried to bring up the past course track on marinetraffic, but there were no available ground AIS stations in the area to track QE's progress.  So I'll make a guess and say the first photo is Thompson Sound?  That's one possible way to access Doubtful.

Edited by sfred
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, sfred said:

I noticed yesterday on marinetraffic.com that QE was doing a cruise-by of Doubtful Sound, NZ after departing Milford Sound.  I found a webcam but it did not have a rewind capability and so could not find QE.  Well done to find a passenger photographer, @bluemarble, and thanks to Kate Smith!

Your hint that the two photos were taken within an hour of the second implies that QE's course track to or from Doubtful Sound passed through one of the other nearby sounds.  I tried to bring up the past course track on marinetraffic, but there were no available ground AIS stations in the area to track QE's progress.  So I'll make a guess and say the first photo is Thompson Sound?  That's one possible way to access Doubtful.

Well done, @sfred.

Here's QE's track at Fiordland yesterday as seen on cruisemapper. Toward the upper right is the call at Milford Sound in the morning. Then she headed to Doubtful Sound near the pin marked "Fiordland National Park". Her approach to Doubtful Sound was to the east of the island (Secretary Island) which is Thompson Sound. Kate Smith took the first photo while QE was in Thompson Sound and the second while QE was in Doubtful Sound.

QEFiordlandRoute2024-04-05.jpg.689a81a260ee1ff1a6f451055bcef26a.jpg

We can now add two more locations to our seen ports list.

643. Thompson Sound, Fiordland, New Zealand

644. Doubtful Sound, Fiordland, New Zealand

• Like 2

Yes, its GIB of course, but the lovely Caleta Hotel on the headland there, built over 60 years ago and a Fav with Brit Holidaymakers, got pulled down sadly.

The Caleta Hotel, an iconic Gibraltar landmark which has dominated the Eastern cliffs by Catalan Bay for nearly 60 years, is now gone. The Hotel, owned by the Callaghan family, closed its doors in January 2022 ahead of its demolition in order to make way for a new five star hotel and residential development.

My photo taken here in NOV 2015 when visiting GIB on QV sailing from Rome to SOU. Our first Grills experiences which was rather nice.
We took afternoon tea at the other icon, The Rock Hotel before going back to the ship.

Edited by rog747
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, sogne said:

QE or QV have been here at least once although the nearby famous city is now visited by tours from other ports.

vbn.jpg

I tried in vain to make out the name of the ship. The resolution isn't quite good enough for that tactic. The flag at the stern is clearly that of Germany, so my next tactic was to search for German tall ships. Wikipedia happens to have just such a list. A site called MuseumShips was also helpful.

There are a couple close matches to this image, two of the Flying P-Liners, Passat and Peking. The best match is Passat which is in Travemünde, Germany. My itineraries show two calls there by QE, one in June 2011 and another in August 2018.

48 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I tried in vain to make out the name of the ship. The resolution isn't quite good enough for that tactic. The flag at the stern is clearly that of Germany, so my next tactic was to search for German tall ships. Wikipedia happens to have just such a list. A site called MuseumShips was also helpful.

There are a couple close matches to this image, two of the Flying P-Liners, Passat and Peking. The best match is Passat which is in Travemünde, Germany. My itineraries show two calls there by QE, one in June 2011 and another in August 2018.

Ship is named after  VW car

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning @bluemarble . I noted over on the 'World Cruises 2026  that @Ocean_Liner_Traveller mentions Queen Mary 2 Visiting Moorea and Papeete in 2016.

My 'Where in the World' list is most likely well out of date but for July 2021 Moorea doesn't get a mention. Do forgive me if it has been listed since then....

SailAwayfromMoorea2.thumb.jpg.b49e8bbadbe35834ab9fe4d870798905.jpg

46 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

Good morning @bluemarble . I noted over on the 'World Cruises 2026  that @Ocean_Liner_Traveller mentions Queen Mary 2 Visiting Moorea and Papeete in 2016.

My 'Where in the World' list is most likely well out of date but for July 2021 Moorea doesn't get a mention. Do forgive me if it has been listed since then....

SailAwayfromMoorea2.thumb.jpg.b49e8bbadbe35834ab9fe4d870798905.jpg

That is a lovely photo of Moorea. As it happens, you posted our only previous photos of Moorea (including that photo) back on April 26-27 of 2021. Here are those previous posts of yours to jog your memory. Quite understandable as that was almost three years ago now.

Edited by bluemarble

possibly stretching a bit but this photo was taken on a Cunard ship in port seen before and is a regular occurrence

many people who have been to this port will probably have seen this

acd.JPG

• Like 1