Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

Welcome back to our game, @Victoria2. It's been a while.

Sorry, no, neither of those Brighton Beaches are near San Francisco or Brooklyn. There certainly are quite a few Brighton Beaches around the world aren't there? I didn't know San Francisco had one but google tells me it does.

I'm with you, @exlondoner. Our one visit to Brighton in Sussex was most enjoyable but the beach itself wasn't particularly pleasant to walk on.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Sorry, no, neither of those Brighton Beaches are near San Francisco or Brooklyn. There certainly are quite a few Brighton Beaches around the world aren't there? I didn't know San Francisco had one but google tells me it does.

I'm with you, @exlondoner. Our one visit to Brighton in Sussex was most enjoyable but the beach itself wasn't particularly pleasant to walk on.

Thx

Simple reason for my absence, I didn't know the answers.

Still don't !!😄

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

I think the second one is Melbourne, Australia. 

16 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

And the first one could be Barbados. 

Excellent! You got them both. The second image is from the Brighton Beach webcam at the Brighton Savoy near Melbourne, Australia. The first image is from one of the Brighton Beach webcams at the West Indies Rum Distillery near the port of Bridgetown, Barbados.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Indeed. If you want a lovely beach on the South Coast of England, you have to come to Bournemouth. 😀

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

There certainly are quite a few Brighton Beaches around the world aren't there?

Good morning everyone!

Australia has a few more Brighton Beaches in addition to the Melbourne VIC one.  One is nearby to me in Brighton QLD, just north of Brisbane near Redcliff.  Another is out in WA, in Scarborough just north of Fremantle/Perth.  A third similar one is Brighton-Le-Sands beach, in Botany Bay near Sydney airport.  A pity that no Cunard ships were nearby to any of these at the time.

A popular name indeed for a beach.

The Brighton Beach in Brooklyn is called “Little Odessa” with the large Russian/Ukrainian population there. I used to go there for great smoked meats, smoked fish, and caviar but the traffic is so bad and parking non-existent it’s a pain to go now. However, the beach is right near Coney island and is a truly beautiful area with Eastern European cafe’s on the boardwalk and very wide beach. You won’t believe you’re in NYC. I saw the Concorde land into JFK airport while once hanging out at a Brighton Beach cafe and the beach can be seen while leaving NY on a TA on the port side right after QM2 passes Coney Island. 

20 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Indeed. If you want a lovely beach on the South Coast of England, you have to come to Bournemouth. 😀

We met friends in Bournemouth for a few days before our December 2022 westbound TA. Lovely beach, but for some strange reason very few people on it during the dead of winter with gray overcast skies. 

22 minutes ago, ExArkie said:

We met friends in Bournemouth for a few days before our December 2022 westbound TA. Lovely beach, but for some strange reason very few people on it during the dead of winter with gray overcast skies. 

Strange that. Had the sun been out, there would have been swarms of people even in the winter. And, if it’s windy, there are sometimes surfers, though the surf isn’t significant.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a crop of a larger webcam image to retain full resolution at the maximum size allowed for a Cruise Critic attachment. That said, the Cunard ship in this image is still only a small blip within the area I've circled in red to the right of center. This is a port we've seen before. I'm confident it will be identified relatively soon.

WhereintheWorld(173).thumb.jpg.af1a9f8df58aa4647a370fb0711b2c5f.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Not sure why I think I know this one as I've never been there. 

I've checked Google Maps and it looks like a match for Hobart, Tasmania.

That was quick. Yes, that image is from one of the City of Hobart's webcams at kunanyi/Mt Wellington.

8 minutes ago, QM2_SYD said:

My guess would be Queen Elizabeth berthed at Port Lincoln, South Australia today.

That's correct. That is indeed a very recent photo of QE at Port Lincoln today, the first time a Cunard ship has called there as far as I know. And it wasn't a scheduled call until very recently when QE's current cruise was diverted away from Queensland because of Tropical Cyclone Kirrily.

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Welcome to our game, @Sarnia 432! Always good to see new players.

Torshavn is the identification I came up with. @sogne will be able to confirm for us.

It has a Shetland like look to it but the hills are a bit high. I was born on the second largest island but have no memories having left at seventeen months old. I've visited The Mainland once since.

I wondered if it might have been one of the other North Atlantic islands.

Edited by D&N