Huge empty 'ghost' cruise ships lure tourists

Fouremco

6 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

An interesting story on empty cruise ships becoming a tourist attraction in one town in the UK:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/ghost-cruise-boat-tour-uk/index.html

Very creative person. Always a way to make a few $$.  Got a good laugh as well.  The article said the tour operator used his inside connections to know the location of the ships.  I usually use my ship tracker phone app!  Am sure he does too.

When we flew to Madrid from London Gatwick I could see Allure of the Seas below us. It was weird to see it so close to where my Mum & Dad used to live on the UK Dorset coast.

Allure was our last cruise and we “debarked” in Ft Lauderdale so to see it again this side of the pond was a pleasant surprise.

Fourmenco: there are various ships around the UK at present. The Fred Olsen ships are berthed in the Firth of Forth, Scotland, Cunard ships are seen off the Norfolk coast. Some ships are at Dover -P&O and possibly Viking. There are also ships at Tilbury (CMV which has gone bust) and Portsmouth.

This is just from various news reports. As someone said, a maritime app would give you the full picture.

The ship, The World, is docked at one of the harbours in Devon, I believe ‘riding’ out Covid. Needless to say, no residents are on board.

Edited by downsmead

On 8/31/2020 at 11:20 AM, Arizona Wildcat said:

Very creative person. Always a way to make a few $$.  Got a good laugh as well.  The article said the tour operator used his inside connections to know the location of the ships.  I usually use my ship tracker phone app!  Am sure he does too.

Definitely thinking outside the box! Yes, the app is probably his "inside connection", but I prefer his version.

7 hours ago, downsmead said:

Fourmenco: there are various ships around the UK at present. The Fred Olsen ships are berthed in the Firth of Forth, Scotland, Cunard ships are seen off the Norfolk coast. Some ships are at Dover -P&O and possibly Viking. There are also ships at Tilbury (CMV which has gone bust) and Portsmouth.

This is just from various news reports. As someone said, a maritime app would give you the full picture.

The ship, The World, is docked at one of the harbours in Devon, I believe ‘riding’ out Covid. Needless to say, no residents are on board.

3 hours ago, jimzgoldfinch said:

I would also add that 3 Azamara ships are berthed in Glasgow on the river Clyde

Thanks @downsmead and @jimzgoldfinch. I find the distribution quite interesting and wonder why some have headed south and others north. Or why some headed to the Firth of Forth as opposed to the River Clyde.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Thank you! :classic_biggrin:

I have been fascinated  by the distribution of ships myself, not by design but because we fancied a change of scenery I was in the region last weekend and took a few photos. Its really sad to see them sat out there when they should be all over the globe and filled with passengers.

p12508781492046829-1.jpg

On 9/1/2020 at 5:15 PM, Fouremco said:

Thanks @downsmead and @jimzgoldfinch. I find the distribution quite interesting and wonder why some have headed south and others north. Or why some headed to the Firth of Forth as opposed to the River Clyde.

Greenock is the normal cruise port for cruises visiting Glasgow. It would seem that Greenock did not want to host cruise ships.  They were accepted in Glasgow at berths which I don’t think usually has cruise ships.

• Like 1