passenger talent contest

RetiredRich

This August 2021 will be our 3rd Holland America cruise.  While on a different line  ..I think it was Norwegian... they had a passenger talent show.  Passengers were given several days to practice and the show was the last night.  Winner gets a free cruise.  That was one of the best shows we have been to on any cruise.  Holland America seems to be lacking on entertainment shows.  We would like to see that again.  Hope all this virus junk gets cleared up by then so we can go to Alaska in August.

My brother was on a NCL cruise in 1994 on the Norway (formerly the France) and won the passenger talent show with his rendition of Elvis Presley's "You Ain't Nothin But a Hound Dog." I don't remember him winning a free cruise, though. What a hoot.

HAL did that years ago - many years ago.  Some were good, some not so, but it was a fun night.  I’m not sure why it was curtailed.

If it was a good night, it was great.  If it was a bad one it was equally bad.  It’s actually one of the things I don’t miss on HAL even though we had a blast with our quintuplet group performing way back in the 80’s 😉 

VMax, while I agree with you regarding passenger talent shows and karaoke, I just move quickly along to another venue and let them have their fun.  By the way, my wife and I enjoyed a wonderful day in Cork pre-Covid topping off the evening at the Oliver Plunkett.  Their Happy Hour started at 4 pm on Fridays.  A brilliant idea.  We brought that tradition home and have encouraged its spread.  Slainte.

17 hours ago, kazu said:

HAL did that years ago - many years ago.  Some were good, some not so, but it was a fun night.  I’m not sure why it was curtailed.

If it was a good night, it was great.  If it was a bad one it was equally bad.  It’s actually one of the things I don’t miss on HAL even though we had a blast with our quintuplet group performing way back in the 80’s 😉 

Yes, we experienced one of them on HAL many years ago on the Noordam for a Greek Isles cruise, but not 2 years ago on the Maasdam, Boston to Montreal.

The one we saw was very good.

Back when passenger talent shows were a thing, we really enjoyed them!  I remember specifically an older gentleman playing his trumpet like a wild man with the ship's orchestra.  Everyone in the audience was on their feet dancing, and you could tell that this man was a pro.  He was absolutely AMAZING and we will never forget it.

On a different cruise we saw a 12 year old girl yodeling like a professional, and it was an outstanding performance!  She was funny, engaged the audience, and proved to me personally that I really do enjoy yodeling!  (She did it so well!)  Who knew?!  Again the audience went nuts with applause.  She was also backed by the ship's orchestra.

The cruise lines need to bring back the orchestras and the talent shows.  It was sad when they restricted the participants to a few different karaoke tunes.  They really went downhill from there.  You never know what skills and talents the passengers may bring on board.  I miss these days, for sure!

• Like 3

I believe the World Cruises have had talent shows for some time occurring during the  last week or so prior to the end of the cruise. I can only speak for the 2018, but the show was quite entertaining and well done.

Lot’s of talented cruiser’s out there that were successful with a business of one sort or another, talented employees and such but somehow displayed their “hidden” passions versus career & financial realities during the show (s).

Me thinks the ‘shows’ will return to the regular cruises also. All the various trivia venues seem to get ‘old’ IMHO (please, trivia folks don’t jump on me). 

With the re-starts of cruising me thinks the CD will have to provide multiple options for those aboard (small group) or just dissolve the job and just play streaming videos at various public spaces / bars.

Not my sort of cruising for me BTW.

Onward!

Be well.

Bob