Wondering if Cunard covid safe return may match Crystal

mcloaked

5 hours ago, BlueRiband said:

Mask wearing and capacity limitations at entertainment venues are specifically mentioned.  I won't be booking.

Dont mind either of those things, nor the absence of buffets. What I would mind is not being allowed off the ships except on tours, but they seem to be eschewing that approach. So for me this is quite encouraging.

If recent claims in various UK news sources and internet sites are to be believed then it is entirely possible the vast majority of UK adult population may be vaccinated against this by EASTER. Which would surely nullify the need for initial or continued onboard testing/mask wearing at least among the UK cruising population? Assuming that adequate proof of vaccination could be provided of course. Other countries may not be so quick in their rollouts which might make things interesting.

5 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

If recent claims in various UK news sources and internet sites are to be believed then it is entirely possible the vast majority of UK adult population may be vaccinated against this by EASTER. Which would surely nullify the need for initial or continued onboard testing/mask wearing at least among the UK cruising population? Assuming that adequate proof of vaccination could be provided of course. Other countries may not be so quick in their rollouts which might make things interesting.

I would take those reports with a pinch of salt

its just not possible to carry out a mass immunisation programme within the next six months, when no vaccine has currently been licensed, we don’t know if we’ll need more than one jab, and we don’t know how effective any vaccine would be . Not to mention how they will manufacture millions of vaccines in such a short  period, especially at a time  of upheaval for the U.K. due to other reasons. 

They are  already struggling with the flu vaccine supplies, so I can’t see that it’s humanly possible to do what these reports are suggesting.

Even if it did happen, it wouldn’t suddenly mean the end of masks and social distancing- that would be a gradual process.

21 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

I would not be comfortable if passengers were not tested for COVID prior to boarding.   We don’t need to board passengers with COVID, especially the super spreaders.

The possible need for a COVID test is one of the reasons why I won’t be cruising for quite some time.

My desire to step on a cruise ship is not strong enough to be swabbed up my nose and down my throat.

From the available information, it isn't realistic to expect that a vaccine, once approved, would be available to everyone in a short period. If one or more of the current vaccine candidates completes its phase 3 trial successfully in the next few months, then it is possible that one might be given approval for use early next year, or possibly by the spring. As Dermotsgirl said, it would then be most likely to be rolled out in a phased way, with key workers, and health workers as well as the most vulnerable being at the top of the priority list, and in fact a few days ago there was a document on the news showing a list of priority for when a vaccine reaches that stage, with around 10 levels from the top priority down to the rest of the population at the bottom of the list. There is increasing hope that one or more vaccine will become available after completion of the phase three trials.  It is still not clear that vaccination would be a single jab or need a booster after a month, but it would be reasonable to assume that it would not give protection longer than a year, and could be less. It would seem reasonable also to expect that once a vaccine is approved that the whole population could be vaccinated for anyone wanting to have the vaccine, within a year or so. It would be unlikely that the main bulk of availability would be before Easter though, if the available information is indicating anything like reality.

3 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

its just not possible to carry out a mass immunisation programme within the next six months, when no vaccine has currently been licensed, we don’t know if we’ll need more than one jab, and we don’t know how effective any vaccine would be . Not to mention how they will manufacture millions of vaccines in such a short  period, especially at a time  of upheaval for the U.K. due to other reasons. 

They are  already struggling with the flu vaccine supplies, so I can’t see that it’s humanly possible to do what these reports are suggesting.

Even if it did happen, it wouldn’t suddenly mean the end of masks and social distancing- that would be a gradual process.

There is talk of training up thousands of people to do the injections. Possible I suppose. My dentist reckons they will be involved in doing it he is coy about taking appointments for next year. He is under the impression the surgery might be used. I don't think they would go that far but he will probably be drafted. Making records of everything will be the problem.

Masks and social distancing will be here for ever and ever and ever.  Once I have had my vaccine i will not wear a mask end of discussion they can ban for life if they want to.

Edited by ace2542

7 hours ago, ace2542 said:

There is talk of training up thousands of people to do the injections. Possible I suppose. My dentist reckons they will be involved in doing it he is coy about taking appointments for next year. He is under the impression the surgery might be used. I don't think they would go that far but he will probably be drafted. Making records of everything will be the problem.

Masks and social distancing will be here for ever and ever and ever.  Once I have had my vaccine i will not wear a mask end of discussion they can ban for life if they want to.

We don’t yet know how effective a vaccine would be. It is possible that a vaccinated person could still catch Covid......and still infect someone else.

Your decision not to wear a mask would not be just about you, it would be about the people around you too.

13 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I'm sure what you say is mainly accurate. But at least one vaccine is currently being manufactured in hope of success.

2 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

We don’t yet know how effective a vaccine would be. It is possible that a vaccinated person could still catch Covid......and still infect someone else.

Your decision not to wear a mask would not be just about you, it would be about the people around you too.

If you can still catch it there is no point to getting the vaccine is there?

32 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I'm sure what you say is mainly accurate. But at least one vaccine is currently being manufactured in hope of success.

Yup and if that fails AstraZeneca will take a big loss. Real big risk.

Edited by ace2542

9 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

You can still experience  Shingles even after a Shingles jab, and flu after a flu jab but the the intensity of the virus should be reduced. One assumes the same will be said of any Covid vaccine, which is why I shall be wearing a face mask and washing hands as much as possible, whilst onboard. 

7 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Yup and if that fails AstraZeneca will take a big loss. Real big risk.

I assume other vaccines are being manufactured too, but, in any case, my point was not about the trading position of AZ, but a factual one about the possibility of a vaccine being available reasonably quickly, if approved.

2 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

You can still experience  Shingles even after a Shingles jab, and flu after a flu jab but the the intensity of the virus should be reduced. One assumes the same will be said of any Covid vaccine, which is why I shall be wearing a face mask and washing hands as much as possible, whilst onboard. 

Indeed, if the vaccine reduces the worst cases of Covid from needing a ventilator to the equivalent of, say, flu, that makes the vaccine well worth having, but undoubtedly one would still rather not get the virus or pass it on.

14 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I assume other vaccines are being manufactured too, but, in any case, my point was not about the trading position of AZ, but a factual one about the possibility of a vaccine being available reasonably quickly, if approved.

Yeah but you can bet your bottom dollar that big boys in the company will make money off that trading position. This has all been risk assessed either way and the high ups at AstraZeneca will win and I imagine the government will compensate the company for their efforts. They will get paid either way I am sure.

3 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Yeah but you can bet your bottom dollar that big boys in the company will make money off that trading position. This has all been risk assessed either way and the high ups at AstraZeneca will win and I imagine the government will compensate the company for their efforts. They will get paid either way I am sure.

Not the issue here, but you did say above they would take a big hit if it fails. This seems to contradict what you say here. Incidentally a number of the AZ board members are female, so perhaps big boys is an inaccurate discription. 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

A vaccinated population might mean that less people will catch it and/or they’d get it less severely.

That would surely be a good thing, so there would seem to be every point in getting it.

i think the problem is that many think a vaccine is a silver bullet, were everything magically returns to the December 2019 normal.  Realistically that’s not going to happen. 

1 minute ago, Dermotsgirl said:

A vaccinated population might mean that less people will catch it and/or they’d get it less severely.

That would surely be a good thing, so there would seem to be every point in getting it.

i think the problem is that many think a vaccine is a silver bullet, were everything magically returns to the December 2019 normal.  Realistically that’s not going to happen. 

Of course i will get the vaccine but I am also assuming it means that I can't get it. I have had the childhood vaccines during my school years and never got nothing i was protected from getting.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Of course i will get the vaccine but I am also assuming it means that I can't get it. I have had the childhood vaccines during my school years and never got nothing i was protected from getting.

At this point we can’t assume anything. We’ll have to wait for the outcome of the trials 

2 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Two things about that.

With childhood vaccines, it is not just the vaccine itself, but also ,the widespread takeup which protects.

And, in the unlikely event you did have a very mild case of, say, polio or whooping cough, it would present much like a cold, so you wouldn't know anyway.

On 9/30/2020 at 2:34 PM, deck chair said:

Hi!

No way will I sail with Cunard if measures similar to Crystal are implemented.  I am now booked on four segments of the 2022 world Cruise on QM2 beginning January 3.  (NY to Sydney.)  I am hoping conditions will be back to normal by then.   If not, I'm out and I doubt I will be alone.   Thank you.

Deck Chair.

Fully agree. Looked at the full world cruise offering the other day and it is a sweetheart of a voyage NYC - NYC for 118 days. The fare is very reasonable. HOWEVER the deposit is non-refundable and should any of the restrictions as to the virus still be in place I would find 118 days to be jail rather than a relaxing sail. So I have decided that even though my age is getting up there I will wait until 2023.