Dream to be retiree & cancellation of Summer 2021 USA sailings

I have read on Marella official FB page the news that Dream is to be retired from the fleet immediately. They have therefore made the decision to cover its upcoming sailings for summer 2021 with Discovery instead, therefore cancelling the new USA summer sailings Discovery was due to sail.

There is no update on Dream’s & Discovery’s planned winter 2021/22 sailings.

Totally unaware of this and due to cruise on her in July next year

Sorry to hear about her being retired but was kinda at the back of my mind it would be happening sooner rather than later so like P not surprised

Like  Tizzy-Jo the Dream was our favourite and we,re almost knocking double figure cruises on her.Sorry to see her go

Edited by Jim The Scot

Dream was the ship for my second cruise with Thomson, a Caribbean one out of Bridgetown. Whilst I don’t have an emotional attachment to the ship - I’m sad to see such a reduction in capacity with the loss now of two ships but it is to be expected in these times. There are no signs of the FCDO changing their advice on sea cruises so I might look to book one of the River cruises for December Xmas markets and the first sailing in March for my credit vouchers.

I had hoped to book a USA itinerary or the New Eastern Adventure which visits Canada but that’s now not possible - for summer 2022 if reintroduced flying will now be into Melbourne airport instead of Sanford.

11 hours ago, Jim The Scot said:

Any chance you can clarify Colbrit...Are you saying USA cruise(due to go 1st August)are cancelled

If it was on Discovery then yes, it's been relocated to cover the cruises in the Med that Dream was due to sail

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

I would not be surprised if Celebration went as well, leaving a 4 ship operation with relatively modern ships. There may be a 5th from TUI, Mein Schiff Herz, of the market can bear it

Celebration has already been sold to Turkish breakers. I hope that they do acquire a replacement but don't think that is likely for at least a year.

54 minutes ago, bishop84 said:

Celebration has already been sold to Turkish breakers. I hope that they do acquire a replacement but don't think that is likely for at least a year.

That's the 3rd senior moment today, now what is my name 😨

• Haha 1

Gutted to hear that Celebration is to be broken up, and also that Dream is being retired. But I think that is because of the fantastic cruises we had on both. The atmosphere on both was brilliant, superb crew, entertainers, fabulous itineraries, and possibly due to the size of them it made for a really friendly atmosphere between passengers, and on those 2 ships in particular I have such happy memories.  I  am also sorry for anyone who had booked the fabulous itineraries  to the USA, they just sounded fantastic.

Having said all that, we had an amazing cruise on Explorer 2 last November, and just hope there will be a cruise industry  next year.

Take care every one

Sweby

1 hour ago, sweby said:

Gutted to hear that Celebration is to be broken up, and also that Dream is being retired. But I think that is because of the fantastic cruises we had on both. The atmosphere on both was brilliant, superb crew, entertainers, fabulous itineraries, and possibly due to the size of them it made for a really friendly atmosphere between passengers, and on those 2 ships in particular I have such happy memories.  I  am also sorry for anyone who had booked the fabulous itineraries  to the USA, they just sounded fantastic.

Having said all that, we had an amazing cruise on Explorer 2 last November, and just hope there will be a cruise industry  next year.

Take care every one

Sweby

Of the 4 remaining ships IMO Explorer 2 is the worst. They did not want her anyway and were expecting TUI's Mein Schiff Herz which is almost identical to Explorer 1. TUI decided to keep Herz so Marella got Explorer 2 which is the first of the Century Class and shorter than her two sisters, resulting in lots of layout compromises and missing public areas. For me the ships are ranked Explorer 1, the two Discoveries and Explorer 2 😟

Our first ever cruise was on the dream. One of the best weeks our lives.

We have sailed on her twice and it is the best two cruises we have been on.

We had the weather, the people we met and not forgetting the entertainment, shows and definitely the staff in all the bars, especially the Medusa lounge.

Mirko on our last cruise on the Dream and sakar on our first cruise. 

Oh and don don our cabin steward.

Sorry to go on but we are so upset about this news. 

Sad days indeed xx

• 2 weeks later...

The Marella Celebration is currently in Cold Lay up in Perama Greece debranded  beside the Horizon. The Celebration is just waiting for room to go to Aliaga. As for the Dream...who knows what her fate is?  But I did see she had been sold...!