The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

Well the fountain is correct, so is Germany, but not the market square. The gentleman is wearing an animal coat but it is not a tiger...

He was an important man in his lifetime in the 19th century. Oh, and as a hint: there are three figures on this fountain. The two gentlemen visited this Red Indian.

notamermaid

Renmar, you are correct. Well done. Perhaps I should not have hinted at the Tapas Bar...

Neuwied is a bit North of Koblenz and will this year become a proper river cruise port.

The Red Indian chief is called Mato Tope. The two gentlemen called Prince Maximilian (who had lived in the building that I have my back to in the photo - now the theatre) and Karl Bodmer (a Swiss painter) met him in the 1830's somewhere on the Missouri river. I think both the diaries of the prince and the drawings of Bodmer are in a museum in Omaha, Nebraska.

Sad connection to our current situation: many of Mato Tope's tribesmen a few years later died of smallpox brought to them by European-Americans. 

Neuwied had a major exhibition in 2017 to honour Prince Maximilian.

Over to you.

notamermaid

Still working on sorting out my pictures so anyone that want to take my place again, please do.

I actually have been in Neuwied many years ago (road trip along the Rhine from Holland) and I thought I recognized the place but then used Google to confirm if I was right.

Theo

If I may be so bold and use a streak of happy poking fun: you did the Dutch road trip into the mountains 😀. You may have heard the joke that the Dutch have adopted the Drachenfels mountain as their own as it is the first mountain they see coming out of the Netherlands and have none of their own.

But on a more serious note: they still buy much stone from the Rhine valley for strengthening their land and their dyke systems against flooding. The effort and cost are enormous and really admirable.

notamermaid

8 hours ago, notamermaid said:

If I may be so bold and use a streak of happy poking fun: you did the Dutch road trip into the mountains 😀. You may have heard the joke that the Dutch have adopted the Drachenfels mountain as their own as it is the first mountain they see coming out of the Netherlands and have none of their own.

Even better, when we try to brag 🙄about Holland we tell our Canadian friends that the highest spot in Holland is the overpass on the freeway😁.

Yes we do like the mountains, here is where we live now (view from our front window).

2121795967_P6180001(Large).thumb.JPG.e65de9bf7268efdc14c03366bb5b0094.JPG

Theo

Absolutely rcaruso it’s the Sao Bento Station in Porto reputed to be the most artistic in Portugal. Each tile picture depicts part of Portuguese history but I cannot remember the story of this one. The tiles are made in Portugal but the style is Delft there’s a story behind that as well.

Your turn now rcaruso. CA

Google says it depicts a meeting between a Portuguese knight, Egas Moniz, and King Alfonso VII of Castile & Leon. History would place this at some time in the 1100s. Alfonso became king in 1130 and Egas died in 1146.

Not totally sure of the historical significance but Egas seems to have been a high-ranking knight in the Portuguese court, and a great warrior against the Moors. This would have been an ongoing battle in Iberia during those times.

Nothing in my search describes the captives.

And this Egas Moniz is not to be confused with the neurologist who developed the lobotomy...

@rcaruso not sure if I know you that well. Let's see - Main river?

No idea of the building, certainly could be on the Main. The style is a bit unusual. Perhaps a late 19th century spa place for the rich?

I have spotted the edge of a building to the left in the photo, on a high hill. It does not help me but perhaps others.

notamermaid

14 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

@rcaruso not sure if I know you that well. Let's see - Main river?

No idea of the building, certainly could be on the Main. The style is a bit unusual. Perhaps a late 19th century spa place for the rich?

I have spotted the edge of a building to the left in the photo, on a high hill. It does not help me but perhaps others.

notamermaid

It's on the Main, not a Spa.