Sea conditions Singapore to Brisbane

5 minutes ago, harbourside said:

Which would be the better of these two options regarding weather.

Ā 

Viking Oceans Orion.Ā  Bali to Sydney -Ā  November

Sydney to Bali -Ā  March

I would choose November. See link in post 2 re cyclones.

• Like 1

I would choose March despite the South Pacific cyclone risk. Overall the weather is better then IMHO. Also over the past 2-3 years there have been slightly more early cyclones around the north-west of Australia in November and December.

15 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I would choose March despite the South Pacific cyclone risk. Overall the weather is better then IMHO. Also over the past 2-3 years there have been slightly more early cyclones around the north-west of Australia in November and December.

I'm sticking to my November suggestion, which is backed up by the official figures.

Ā 

Your recollection of cyclones might be hazy. I suggest you refer the link in post 2 to the BOM official web site. In 2019-202, it records 7 cyclones in March with 5 being classified as severe and only 1 that just suck into November (Severe Tropicial Cyclone Owen, 30 November - 15 December 2018). 2018 had 4 cyclones in March and 1 in November.

Possibly my recollections are hazy and the timeframe longer but I have an online friendĀ in Darwin so used to see his comments on cyclones in that region.

Ā 

I've personally found that sea conditions are a bit bouncier, with more showers, in November/December than in March. Maybe we were just unlucky with our November/December cruises.

7 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I've personally found that sea conditions are a bit bouncier, with more showers, in November/December than in March. Maybe we were just unlucky with our November/December cruises.

You are right about showers in November, it is the start of the Monsoon season. With La NiƱa affecting Australia's weather this summer, who knows, we could have an early cyclone this year. šŸ˜‰ 2020 has been full of surprises.

2 hours ago, harbourside said:

Which would be the better of these two options regarding weather.

Viking Oceans Orion.Ā  Bali to Sydney -Ā  November

Sydney to Bali -Ā  March

Looks like you can take your pick of months from advice given here! Ā La Nina makes it a different ball game this summer with moreĀ rain than usual expected.Ā 

• Like 1

On 10/21/2020 at 11:52 AM, MMDown Under said:

Do you think the seas wereĀ calmer because a lot of the route is close to islands and the Australian Coast, rather than the open Ocean?

Ā 

Not sure. From my understanding we were a long distance from Australian coast, and sighted numerous islands, but they were small.

We did see several small boats, fishing and perhaps carrying out some other activities. Someone told me that the boats that sail towards Australia sometimes get into serious difficulty when the weather changes on them, as they are used to very calm seas.

Ā 

I had real concerns doing Syd-Bne-PNG return in Feb because of the cyclone season. I get very seasick - but the weather was like this -Ā  somewhere off the coast of northern queensland . The most movement we had was coming out of the Sydney harbour - and even then was barely noticeable .Ā 

IMG_5153.JPG

10 hours ago, lissie said:

I had real concerns doing Syd-Bne-PNG return in Feb because of the cyclone season. I get very seasick - but the weather was like this -Ā  somewhere off the coast of northern queensland . The most movement we had was coming out of the Sydney harbour - and even then was barely noticeable .Ā 

IMG_5153.JPG

Glass like.

When we went up through the Java Sea on Golden Princess it was very calm, just like tgat photo. At the time I had a kaftan that had an unusual combination of blue and peach colours on it. One evening the colours on the water were an exact match for those on my kaftan. Quite amazing, I never thought I'd see those colours together in nature.