Degree of vibration/ noise aft on Marina

edgee

We are booking a 20 day cruise on Marina. This will be our sixth cruise on an O class ship. We have always been mid ship or forward on deck 9 (A2,3 or 4). Mid ship or forward is our normal choice whenever we cruise because rear of ship cabins often have engine vibration. We are considering "moving up" to PH 1 on deck 11. Availability is limited to cabins near rear of ship. Are we likely to have engine vibration as well as noise from Terrace above(other than noise during docking which is to be expected?)

I just checked the deck map and the first PH1 is 8 cabins up from the rear. I really don't think you'll have any problems there, especially being that high up. It's pretty convenient to the rear elevator.  I really don't think there would be an issue with the PH 2's or the Oceania Suites at the aft.

Deck 11 should be OK.  (I actually will not sit in the aft 2/3 of the Grand Dining Room on Deck 6 if the ship is moving because I think the vibration is dreadful there. By the second day onboard, the GDR hostess recognizes me!)

Edited by CintiPam

• 2 weeks later...

I've been in PH2's and B3's on deck 7 several times and was never bothered by vibrations.  Except, of course, when docking, when vibrations run through almost the whole ship.

Also never experienced vibrations in the rear of the MDR.  Our chosen spot is aft by the windows.  CintiPam you must be more sensitive to the movements than I.

Donna

Noise from overhead if you are under Waves might be a problem.  I haven’t been bothered by vibrations in aft cabins when you are that high up.   However, on deck six in the GDR you can clearly see the water trembling in your glass when you are at sea.   The vibrations can be intense.  You might be safer booking a PH midships on deck ten.

18 minutes ago, GeorgesGal said:

I've been in PH2's and B3's on deck 7 several times and was never bothered by vibrations.  Except, of course, when docking, when vibrations run through almost the whole ship.

Also never experienced vibrations in the rear of the MDR.  Our chosen spot is aft by the windows.  CintiPam you must be more sensitive to the movements than I.

Donna

And here I was thinking the reason that we are generally seated rear and center is because the hostess liked my wife. Now I know it's an undesirable seat. LOL. Actually we generally have breakfast there and unless it's a port day the ship is docked. We rarely have dinner in the GDR. Either a Specialty or the Terrace. 

OP mentions Deck 9 on Marina which is where we prefer to sail when on the O ships.

We have been as far aft as 9136 and 10105 and prefer each of those locations to 9003 and 9004 extreme forward with much more movement.  Vibrations were not an issue for us at all.

So, thanks everyone for your input. Here is where we ended up. We decided to move up to Deck 11 PH1. A couple of forward cabins became available that were not across from the Exec. Lounge.. E mailed one of our favorite cruise directors and asked if we had made a good choice. Turns out our choice was good in that we are under Deck 12 cabins but we were across from a crew access door. So then we were able to move forward just one cabin to at least slightly alleviate that concern. I think we will be just fine.

Edited by edgee
Clarity

3 hours ago, GeorgesGal said:

Donna

Donna, you are correct regarding my sensitivity to the vibrations.  Aft by the aft windows definitely is the primo spot in the GDR  but the only time we have sat there is when the ship has had a late evening departure. 

I also very much prefer that my cabin be located between the two sets of elevators as well. A bit more forward works fine but those aft cabins are not for me!

3 hours ago, ORV said:

And here I was thinking the reason that we are generally seated rear and center is because the hostess liked my wife. Now I know it's an undesirable seat. LOL. Actually we generally have breakfast there and unless it's a port day the ship is docked. We rarely have dinner in the GDR. Either a Specialty or the Terrace. 

My husband fortunately has grown used to my restaurant seating foibles after 45 years and never even sits down until I indicate that I am fine with the table assigned! 

2 hours ago, edgee said:

So, thanks everyone for your input. Here is where we ended up. We decided to move up to Deck 11 PH1. A couple of forward cabins became available that were not across from the Exec. Lounge.. E mailed one of our favorite cruise directors and asked if we had made a good choice. Turns out our choice was good in that we are under Deck 12 cabins but we were across from a crew access door. So then we were able to move forward just one cabin to at least slightly alleviate that concern. I think we will be just fine.

So glad you found a cabin you like.  We love both Marina and Riviera.