River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

Suitcases collected but dear daughters had a bright idea for Fathers Day - Air tags for DH now I’m being kept informed regularly where our suitcases are, well at least one of us is really kept interested I just get the information, regularly. 
We’ve had some rain not an excessive amount so we’ve got left we’ll send over to Europe.

AirTags are great.  I wish we had had them when our luggage got delayed on the way to South Africa.  [We have had them over a year now.  The next step is figuring out when the batteries need replacing...]

• Like 1

1 hour ago, knoxclone said:

The tags will tell you when the batteries need changing!

Just opened 'Find My' and saw all 4 (from the attic).  So I guess that means they're still charged.  [Of course, the next time I check will be the night before our next trip – and it will be too late if they come up 'dead' :classic_ohmy:]

Now you do know that myth about why the 2CV Deaux chauavx was built, so that a French farmer could take his wife to church in comfort and wearing a hat and to deliver eggs over a plowed field without breaking them, not necessarily at the same time, wrong. It was built to enable the French farmer to take his lady friend across the  aforesaid ploughed field whilst opening a bottle of wine and pouring a glass full without spilling a drop. Told to me by a rather dishy Frenchman when he discovered I’d driven one for many years - a deaux chauavx I mean. 
I’ve only driven a Beetle once strange car.

• Like 1

Now, bless my whiskers, I have never heard of that Kaffeemaschine! Coffee maker on the dashboard, German engineering at its best. 👍

Been in an old beetle where some heating device was not working. Not my favourite car ride. Love the old bretzel design though, it refers to the back window shape.

notamermaid

10 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Just opened 'Find My' and saw all 4 (from the attic).  So I guess that means they're still charged.  [Of course, the next time I check will be the night before our next trip – and it will be too late if they come up 'dead' :classic_ohmy:]

Pick up some CR2032 batteries and have them on hand. Here are the instructions to replace the battery.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211670

I think (but don't quote me) that you can take the batteries on the plane.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gnome12 said:

Pick up some CR2032 batteries and have them on hand. Here are the instructions to replace the battery.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211670

I think (but don't quote me) that you can take the batteries on the plane.

I have taken up removing my batteries when we have a large lull between trips. I will also spring for new batteries if the battery level is less than 50%. Well worth the peace of mind. Completely agree with keeping and carrying replacement batteries with you. 👌 

At one point we had 7 beetles....one for each of us, a dune buggy with a parts car, one for running around the fields , and 2 parts cars.  I don't remember any of them coming with a coffee maker.

The gas heaters worked fine when they worked, but our cold nights made being out in them not much fun. Our worse memory was coming back from the ski hills in freezing rain, each of us with our arms out of the windows trying to keep the windshield clean. Needless to say, we didn't go home that night!  We used to throw a canoe on top of ours when camping. I think I can still strip down a carb (and probably a lot of the engine) without a manual. 🙂

Edited by Daisi
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I learned to drive on my mother's Beetle.  No gas gauge – when you ran out, there was a lever on the firewall that dumped 1 gal from the reserve tank.  Then you had to remember to get gas!  [Which was harder than it sounds, because you could go very far on 1 gal!]

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Haqdeluxe said:

I have taken up removing my batteries when we have a large lull between trips. I will also spring for new batteries if the battery level is less than 50%. Well worth the peace of mind. Completely agree with keeping and carrying replacement batteries with you. 👌 

How do you see the battery level?

Beetle gas heater, when it worked, would melt your Crocs. Semaphore turn signals were a great example of modern engineering. And woe be the person that gases up and forgets to close off the reserve lever. 
You want quirky rear engine cars, try the various Renaults. Who would think to put the fuel filler inside the engine compartment? The French! I borrowed a R10 for a weekend. Neither the the gas jockey or I could find the filler, had to make a long distance call (after getting change) to the owner. Just be sure the gas nozzle goes into the gas filler, not the radiator or oil fillers. 

Then there’s the early Corvair automatic transmission selector. Try to find it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

How do you see the battery level?

It comes up in the app on my phone. Each tag reports its own battery status. I do check that everything is working and that the battery is good to go when I'm getting ready to put them into the suitcases.

8 minutes ago, Haqdeluxe said:

It comes up in the app on my phone. Each tag reports its own battery status. I do check that everything is working and that the battery is good to go when I'm getting ready to put them into the suitcases.

Find My app?  I don't see any battery level.

4 minutes ago, Haqdeluxe said:

That's what I've been checking – it gives the name of the AirTag, "With You" "Now" and then has a button for "Play Sound."  So that means the battery has enough charge left that it doesn't need to tell me anything?

32 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

That's what I've been checking – it gives the name of the AirTag, "With You" "Now" and then has a button for "Play Sound."  So that means the battery has enough charge left that it doesn't need to tell me anything?

That's what it looks like. I wonder how low it needs to be to tell you "low battery". Anyway, if you have some spare batteries with you, you can replace them if necessary on the trip.

29 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

As I understand it, the Apple AirTags only report when the battery is low. I have Samsung Smart Tags and they report a battery status in percent left. Most say the AirTag "Low Battery" warning is fairly conservative and not a notice of impending doom. 😊

I won’t even mention ‘impending doom’ to DH but he did appreciate the link, thank you. You will I am sure be pleased to know that both suitcases have arrived at our courier’s base the further away they get the more in sinc they are. Our grandson seems to think it’s a cool bit of kit mainly because they are so small.

4 hours ago, Canal archive said:

I won’t even mention ‘impending doom’ to DH but he did appreciate the link, thank you. You will I am sure be pleased to know that both suitcases have arrived at our courier’s base the further away they get the more in sinc they are. Our grandson seems to think it’s a cool bit of kit mainly because they are so small.

Logistics is very strange.  I recently ordered a backyard shed which ships in two pieces.  Once it left the warehouse the pieces seemed to be on two Fedex trucks that were taking a slightly different route cross-country.  The pieces were only reunited in New Jersey just before going to the local 'last-mile' depot.