River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

15 hours ago, Canal archive said:

It wasn’t required reading in our school but Anne’s story was included in the history of religion across Europe. 

When the sound of music was released I was earning my pocket money to afford my scooter, as an usherette in the the Odeon North End Portsmouth and had to go home after the half way intermission, to this day I have never seen the second half the first half was quite enough, thank you. 

I read the book quite early, it wasn't required reading in our schools. I think I was about 9 or so when I read it. It still sticks in my mind today.

Don't feel bad Canal archive, I'm not sure I've even seen up the the first "intermission", I've only ever seen the movie on TV, and couldn't get into it. I have been to the Trapp Family Lodge though.

Tags still show they are in Paris we’re off at silly o’clock in the morning (I’d rather live in the wilds of Wiltshire than nearer to the wonderful city of my birth) the train awaits,  hopefully Paris has calmed down a tad. Not one of my favourite cities but I’ve driven, through, over, and round it many times it is beautiful - but. I will try to update as we go any questions just ask.

Have a great trip. I finally have everything booked for ours, trains, hotel for the night we arrive back in Canada, excursions....   Now just getting the little things looked after and we are set for Sept!

Busy week, visit from dear people I have not seen in three years. Exciting! Higher work load due to events season. Visit to dear people not possible as they have cancelled the party - leak in the water pipes, they need to rip up part of the kitchen floor. Holiday plans amended, will most likely stay in Germany, staying clear of France.

Hope you all have had a good Canada Day and are enjoying celebratory 4 July.

notamermaid

• Like 3

On 6/26/2023 at 1:53 PM, notamermaid said:

You may find this a strange question and please do not read too much into it but I have been wondering for some time. How come American cruisers talk so much about wanting to visit the Anne Frank House in Amsterdam? Who "spawns" the interest? School? Other people? Guide books of Amsterdam?

Definitely required reading in our school system for as long as I can remember.

Have had a busy weekend, am ready for a break. Finalized plans will now take me around my country, a short trip far enough for the area to look different from where I live. Away from all the major rivers and I doubt I will be able to find an excursion boat either. A different county (Land) administration and a different accent should provide the necessary change of scenery.

Will try to keep in touch about the water levels.

notamermaid

• Like 5

On 7/10/2023 at 10:45 AM, notamermaid said:

Have had a busy weekend, am ready for a break. Finalized plans will now take me around my country, a short trip far enough for the area to look different from where I live. Away from all the major rivers and I doubt I will be able to find an excursion boat either. A different county (Land) administration and a different accent should provide the necessary change of scenery.

Will try to keep in touch about the water levels.

notamermaid

@notamermaid You are a very mysterious person! I hope you are having an amazing time!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

Hi! I haven’t been on any cruise or done any international travel in 4 years. I’m a little rusty but fingers crossed everything will be fine. 🤞🤞🤞 We leave July 26. Thanks for listening. 

You've got this! Things aren't really much different now. Have fun!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

Hi! I haven’t been on any cruise or done any international travel in 4 years. I’m a little rusty but fingers crossed everything will be fine. 🤞🤞🤞 We leave July 26. Thanks for listening. 

Sounds as if you are a bit daunted by the upcoming trip. Fully understandable. I am sure you have planned everything well that can be planned. Everything else will happen just fine. Have a great time.

notamermaid

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/15/2023 at 5:10 AM, Coral said:

@notamermaid You are a very mysterious person! I hope you are having an amazing time!

:classic_smile: I do keep things close to my chest a lot of the time, but did not want to sound mysterious. A bit of a coincidence this time. Well, I have returned from the tour de force, meaning my travel companions forced me to go up hills and I am truly feeling it. Best to give up trying to keep up with the youngest in my group with the long legs and much younger in years... The river: the Deimel. Not even big enough to put a narrowboat on. That is the biggest one I remember the name of. Had a good time, saw interesting places and had a few surprises (able to handle them all, from getting lost in roadworks to huge spider in the hotel room).

No area worthy of long excursion from river cruise but interesting if you want to be off the beaten international tourist track. More on that another day. Rest of holiday will be used for rest and day trips.

notamermaid

• Like 4

Trotting the unbeaten path in Westphalia part 1

They say there are 25,000 castles (including tiny ruins) in Germany. So naturally I have been to one, just cannot avoid those things in the landscape, too many of them. :classic_wink: Seriously, I did seek out the area for the fact that it had a) unusual castles, b) a brewery, c) a palace built an architect I like and d) I have never been to that area as far as I know. Well, in the end it was too little time would have liked to stay longer. Westphalia is somewhat in the Middle of Germany and relatively rural where I went. Look on the map for Kassel and Paderborn, it lurks between the two towns. The palace is explained in short, Bad Arolsen. Did not manage to book a guided tour in the time slot I needed so I was left with seeing the outside and believe me the wow-factor when you come along the road and that "thing" appears in your vision is great: https://www.bad-arolsen.de/de/tourismus/kontakt-und-information/uebersetzung/englisch/residenzschloss-en.php

More on another day.

notamermaid

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Brrr, cold! I have arrived at the water cooler with a cup of tea instead. 🫖 It is so cool in Germany. Unpleasant winds as well. No need for air conditioning at work. Found a note from my colleague on a spread sheet with the comment "the year will soon be over..." Shock, no!! I feel as if I have not had a decent summer yet. Planning ahead is fine, but that note came at a psychologically inconvenient time.

Looking forward to a warmer week and perhaps I can share a few photos of Westphalia to keep at least a bit of holiday spirit going for me.

notamermaid

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kristelle said:

what sort of temp's can  I expect in September - I was looking at google and expecting close to  20 celcius - but you make it sounder colder than that already?

We did not even make it to 20 today. It has been cold for several days. But that is unusual. August is warm to hot. September is mixed and can vary quite a bit from coast to hills, from valley in the North to valley in the South. Mornings can be cool but afternoons very often get to 20 and more. Really pleasant for touring.

Check accuweather or wetteronline.de

notamermaid

Melbourne and Sydney are long way from where I live in rural South Australia but I am about same latitude as Sydney.

Melbourne would be bit cooler being further south. 

Well into Spring, might still get some cold and rainy daysc but mostly low 20's. We even had 28 degrees day last week, but that is unusual for August.