River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

I like to linger, have DH keep an eye on the guide and I can shoot all I want. I also have a great zoom lens on my camera, so can be back quite a bit and still get that "close up" shot. 

Last cruise I used everyone's tip about the "gentle walkers", and about 1/2 way through the cruise our group had doubled in size, as everyone was doing it. We had partners stationed to watch for the guides, and took photos to our hearts content.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Kristelle said:

Got an email from TA today saying our ship will not be ScenicJade now but Scenic Jewel.

Cruise starts 6th Sept.

Am currently in lounge at Singapore airport on route to London.

Safe travels and enjoy the cruise!  

• Like 1

Retirement looks to be good, just booked a Viking Ocean cruise boarding 20 Jan 2025; Italy, the Adriatic and Greece, 14 nights.  Due to time of year the price/day was low (for Viking Ocean, not really low).

Also looking to book a 14 nights Riveira September 2024 cruise, Budapest to the Black Sea, it's a round trip from Budapest.  It is scheduled to stop at a few places our 2016 Vantage Lower Danube didn't, and it will be interesting to see how Vukovar is doing in their rebuilding effort.  Spouse still will be working at this point, so had to clear with her work. 

With the 9 night Viking river cruise down the Rhine over Christmas coming up this December, that will be a full dance card as far as cruising goes...now just have to hope our dog sitter plan stays solid.

• Like 4

Hi Ural guy.

We are not retired but can relate to the dog sitter thing.

Kids are all grown up and left home but still need to organise a dog sitter LOL

I will start a live thread when our cruise starts, in London for family catchup firsts and then 2 nights in Paris before river cruise starts 6th Sept. 

For anyone on a river cruise or land trip. European Heritage Days are again shining a spotlight on our monuments, treasured places. Main open days are in September. This is the page for Germany (address for the German page in link if you wish to have a look): https://www.europeanheritagedays.com/country/Germany

notamermaid

On 8/31/2023 at 2:00 PM, ural guy said:

...and it will be interesting to see how Vukovar is doing in their rebuilding effort. 

We have done the lower Danube twice - the last time was September 2022.  We were pleased to see how much Bucharest had "recovered" since our last visit. 

I was able to chat with various people during our stay there.  Almost everyone expressed their appreciation about the fact that we came back to visit.  The parliament was closed when we were there, but we had seen it on our first visit.  It is took bad that our travel companions missed that, however....

Fran

In that case my trip isn't my first river cruise either -   have done 3 nights  on River Murray and a dinner cruise in Sydney Harbour  and one on Swan river, Perth ( all  in Australia, of course ) and an overnighter on Halong Bay, Vietnam 

Gosh, I'm an experienced veteran really. :classic_cool::classic_biggrin::classic_laugh:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Kristelle said:

3 nights  on River Murray

If I look at it from a work perspective, i.e. my work in tourism, I think a proper river cruise in German terms needs to have an overnighter in. You need to sleep on the ship and move. So what you did counts. A dinner cruise is not a river cruise as far as I know. But you read the term "river cruise" all the time in Europe when the website only means four hours up the river and back. In German we can distinguish between what you do on a river cruise ship and on an excursion boat.

We actually have a specific description and specification of what a tourist is. I was taught that, but -err- I do not remember the full explanation.

Still trying to decide where I should go on for the open monuments day on Sunday. Either a Medieval house, or a palace or a railway museum. Will report back on what I chose in the end.

notamermaid

• Like 1

I was only joking notamermaid as I'm sure CPT Trips was asking facetious question too. 

Other than the 3 nights on River Murray I don't call any of the others river cruises - dinner cruises, one nighters, ferry trips etc are not really river cruises to me either

52 minutes ago, Kristelle said:

I was only joking notamermaid as I'm sure CPT Trips was asking facetious question too. 

Other than the 3 nights on River Murray I don't call any of the others river cruises - dinner cruises, one nighters, ferry trips etc are not really river cruises to me either

Where would you classify sailing across the Atlantic in a hamster wheel?  🤣

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-66733230

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Kristelle said:

I got my text book out too fast. I was seriously wondering. A hamster wheel?? Now that is not in my textbook. 😁

Classification, hmmm: Bubble wrap cruise? Adventure cruise? Just plain bonkers cruise?

I better leave the water cooler, either I have got too hot at work or I have got too much time on my hands.

notamermaid

• Like 1

My daughters hamsters all loved their wheels and one used to deliberately run his to the top of the stairs so that it fell and sprung open at the bottom, crafty little escape artist. In Scotland at the moment cashing in the sunshine and warmth, out on the balcony with a coffee at the moment have a super Sunday all.

• Like 2

On 9/9/2023 at 2:34 AM, Host Jazzbeau said:

Give me a moment to consult DSM-5-TR . . . 

For those unfamiliar, https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/24291-diagnostic-and-statistical-manual-dsm-5#:~:text=In 2022%2C the APA published,accurate version of this resource.

• Haha 1

I really need some water from the cooler, so hot in Germany today! Have returned from my day trip visiting a monument on the occasion of "Tag des offenen Denkmals". I went to a "Militärischer Sperrbezirk". Yes, that's right, army base. And what a splendid one. The magnificent mansion that is called "Schloß Oranienstein" in Diez on the river Lahn. More on that when I have more time.

Right, I am off again. Dinner. See ya.

notamermaid

• Like 2

On 9/9/2023 at 2:34 AM, Host Jazzbeau said:

On this guy's first attempt from Florida, he prepared for it over a week or so on the beach directly in front of our condo.  Some of our neighbors befriended him.  He was considered crazy then and I couldn't believe it when they sent me a newspaper about his most recent attempt.  I think they were speechless since there was no note attached 😅.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, capriccio said:

On this guy's first attempt from Florida, he prepared for it over a week or so on the beach directly in front of our condo.  Some of our neighbors befriended him.  He was considered crazy then and I couldn't believe it when they sent me a newspaper about his most recent attempt.  I think they were speechless since there was no note attached 😅.

I believe this is a case where they should have let him complete his attempt to win this year's Darwin Awards...

https://darwinawards.com/darwin/

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 9/10/2023 at 3:58 AM, Canal archive said:

In Scotland at the moment cashing in the sunshine and warmth, out on the balcony with a coffee at the moment have a super Sunday all.

Flying out to Edinburgh in less than 48 hours...  but, it looks as if you have been hoarding all that beautiful sunshine. The long range forecast on my weather app show primarily rain for the next 10 days 😢

Fran