River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

2 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Google Doodles well I had to get up on the table to catch that one, never heard of it - completely passed me by.

Google doodles are the special ways of writing Google on the main Google search page. They don’t have special ones every day, but they are frequently quite inventive. 
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Doodle

3 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Google doodles are the special ways of writing Google on the main Google search page. They don’t have special ones every day, but they are frequently quite inventive. 
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Doodle

They can be fun to play with when interactive...good time waster when sitting on the phone on hold. 🙂

Just now, Daisi said:

They can be fun to play with when interactive...good time waster when sitting on the phone on hold. 🙂

I rarely see them anymore, as I don’t use Google  search. 

Wow jazz that was a tour de force so interesting, DH would never go and in any case we’re just that bit to much over the hill. Right a question do you know the story behind the Scout flag image 33, did you know the library is an old English telephone box the English Portuguese friendship and more goes back before 1386 the oldest peace treaty in the world. Loved the rather elderly Austin 12, and the oh so beautifully tiles. Our Douro Scenic cruise showed us how charming and friendly the Portuguese are. Oh and now you can see why we fall out with the French so much but and it’s a big but the further south you go in France the more pleasant they are. Also I would give that John Singer Sargent painting house room any day. Thank you again for a superb report, loved it.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Right a question do you know the story behind the Scout flag image 33, did you know the library is an old English telephone box the English Portuguese friendship and more goes back before 1386 the oldest peace treaty in the world. Loved the rather elderly Austin 12, and the oh so beautifully tiles.

Thanks.

•  No, don't know the story of the flag.  Care to fill us in, or were you asking for the info?

•  Yes, did recognize the old English telephone box despite the color change.  And I'm flexible enough to link them mentally to a certain old English police box – especially as this one contains all those books, which 'contain worlds,' so like a Tardis the inside IS bigger than the outside!

•  Yes, did know about the longstanding (longest in the world) friendship between England and Portugal.  [Learned about it from the Aubrey-Maturin novels.]

•  The Austin was a hoot.  The most amazing thing is that it runs every day so the restaurant can rely on it.  They also own an elderly Plymouth, but it (not the Austin) has an 'electrical fault' which I assume means the headlights don't work because they can only use it during the day!

•  Love the tiles.  Until seeing them throughout this trip I didn't realize how varied and artistic they are.  Also didn't realize they come in full-color as well as blue/white.

No just asking, it could I suppose have been like an art installation, I’ll put out feelers at Gilwell Park if I discover anything will let you know. There’s various phone boxes, post office, police and Automobile Association dotted around the country masquerading as library’s, museums and information points, painted in a variety of colours.

The entrance of the railway station in Porto has absolutely superb tiles.

That is nice. Perhaps I can get a glimpse of it later in the news or tomorrow. I am busy with work, so not much time beyond cooking and doing the washing up... and the water levels. Bumped into some French people today and tried out my language skills - good job one of them spoke German really well, much faster conversation that way. 😉

It is quite warm here but still bearable.

notamermaid

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nice day here.  Baby shower for our daughter [first grandchild!]  Big debate setting up: inside or outside [thunderstorms forecast but not certain].  At the last minute we saw the blue sky and decided: outside.  Halfway through the skies opened!  [Sun showers, no thunder...]  So we moved inside.  [Then the deluge...]  Nevertheless a fine day was had by all.

• Like 2

Congratulations Jazz I watch DH with our grandson ( he will be the only grandchild and is now 10) they FaceTime every week, decide on what experiments to try next time they meet and I still don’t know how DH has done it but is part of their discussion group so about eight 10 year olds and a 78 year old. If it’s a girl ohh heaven help the family GD and GD has the capability of being formidable. Enjoy!

• Like 1

On 6/17/2023 at 6:04 AM, Canal archive said:

Watching trooping the colour at horse guards thank you Canada the King is riding a horse from the Canadian mounted police.

Funny, we had to drive up to the city for a special dinner the other night, and took a drive by the training grounds. We thought they were out on tour until we rounded the corner and saw all the horses. I thought of their "friends" in the UK, and wondered how they were doing as one was sick during the Coronation (I think Princess Anne's), and the one they brought over for I think Charles was to new to participate. Glad to hear he was able to ride it.

2 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Have just checked - whata mistaka to maka - we’re off on a cruise with an Australian company where no doubt quite a few of our fellow cruisers will be Aussies and it’s Ashes time, interesting. I will explain if required.

Bribe the Captain to fix all TV's to show the bow cam. 🙂

• Haha 2

On my river cruise there was football match one evening, one of the teams was the Danish national one, cannot remember the other country. The crew set the TV in the smaller lounge area to a channel that showed the match. The few Danish people on board were happy and were busy cheering and drinking beer.

The Ashes - serious business.

3 hours ago, Daisi said:

Bribe the Captain to fix all TV's to show the bow cam. 🙂

Good idea. Grin. Or Canal archive, assuming they will be the minority, may need to keep a low profile depending on how things go with the scores...

Although, I am convinced the Australians are very happy and accommodating folk.

Have a great cruise, @Canal archive.

notamermaid

On one cruise a couple got held up because of the ash from an Icelandic volcano so their plane was late, Scenic took them to dinner on another of their boats then drove them from Budapest to where the Captain could pull in and pick them up. They were Australian and were greeted by a rousing chorus of Waltzing Matilda because it put the Aussie count on board above the Canadians almost 50/50 apart from just a few of us Brits. Wonderful it was one of our first cruises. 
Canadian Grand Prix on at the moment with superb shots of Montreal.

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

On my river cruise there was football match one evening, one of the teams was the Danish national one, cannot remember the other country. The crew set the TV in the smaller lounge area to a channel that showed the match. The few Danish people on board were happy and were busy cheering and drinking beer.

We started our cruise with a tour to Keukenhof before boarding the ship. When it was time to go, we went back to our bus, and the driver was watching the F1 on his phone. We stopped to watch, as we were going to miss it, and next thing we knew, there were about 10 of us crowded around him watching the race. Needless to say, I think we were a little late getting back to the ship. Never saw the end, but we managed to catch some of it. 🙂

@Canal archive, had to tape it today, just starting to watch now (mind you I know how it ends). Father's Day took priority.  Happy for Alonso, nice to see him having fun still.

Edited by Daisi
  • Like 1

Our Bordeaux cruise was a year of the Euros and some were being played in Bordeaux our cruise director tried every which way to get tickets for the football fanatics on board, he failed for our cruise but evidently managed for at least one later cruise. Even the crew got caught up in the football fever, football discussions in the strangest places all over the ship. Mind you how does a crew member decide that you’re absolutely not interested ours seemed to know instinctively. I don’t mind a bit of footi I’ve run the line in my youth for my little brothers team a few times, actually quite boring.

Not much time for long television sessions. Busy working, cooking, etc. over the weekend. Boss has already phoned me at home with a query this morning... But all good. Team meeting this week. Lots of events in Summer of course, so will help out a bit.

@Host Jazzbeau great news!

notamermaid

• Thanks 1