River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

Negative, I was just in Berlin on a 5 day 'Orientation Tour'...they would send guys over from the Federal Republic/West Germany to show us the reality of what was 'over there'.  I was selected for winning a board (against one other soldier), and the 1SG knew I liked history and had picked up a book.  That fact that he was my old Platoon SGT, and he and his family would cat sit for us on Spouse and my many adventures through Europe, I'm sure played a big part, as this is the way of life.

I had to look this medal up, it is for people stationed 30 days or more in Berlin when the wall was up.  We were the speed bump 30 ish KM's from border.  That's why my trip is so fascinating to me, just like Czech last November...all places on the other side, where we could not go.  Cool fact:  all have turned out to be very nice/neat people,

• Like 1

My DH  towards the end took a group of customers over and had to basically smuggle one back as he had forgotten his passport, if I told you his nationality I think you’d understand. I’ve just rediscovered bits of the wall that he brought back which I really should get framed for posterity.

I was in East Berlin when the Wall was still up. An unforgettable experience. There are segments of the Wall distributed around various places. Three are in Koblenz. If you are interested: http://en.the-wall-net.org/koblenz/

The submarine "U17" has left Kiel. A ship spotter video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlaZF4k5F3I

When it sails on the Rhine I will post about it again in the Rhine thread.

notamermaid

• Like 2

My previous employer is German, based in Wesel.  The US HQ has a piece of the wall right by the employee entrance.  I just happened to decide to stay in Berlin the weekend of the 25th anniversary of the fall of the wall.

So when we got back from our snowbird escape in Alabama, everyone in NY said it had been a warm and dry winter (relatively speaking) and also a dry spring.  Well – now the April showers are trying to get the whole month's worth in one day!  This is how I feel:

Screenshot2023-04-30at6_38_56PM.png.ffbcfa4353e9a8e141b45b744e9c4db1.png

Luckily my sump pump is keeping up with the inflow, but I've never heard it work so hard and if it quits my basement will look just like this picture...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Jazz-  Mother Nature does seem to be making up for the milder winter.  My motorcycles are not happy.  This '04 German Beauty was brought back from being mostly dead at 99,000 miles and wants to run.

IMG_6171.thumb.jpg.722c6f0bd4389b158fe011e455f097c8.jpg

Notamermaid-  Thanks for the clip, pretty remarkable all around.  Some more info on where U17 is going.  Constructed in 1935, she was used as a training ship after 1942.

I visited a US WW2 era sub in Buffalo.  The hot summer sun brought out the diesel and grease/sweat stank, enough to get me quezzy with the boat docked.  No way in anything I could go underwater.  Even in peace, just nope.  Submariners, even my buddy Scotty, are a different breed.

https://www.technik-museum.de/en/u17

• Like 2

It’s not the only under the sea piece of equipment being put to interesting use. The old sub pens in Bordeaux have been turned into a luminaire experience. Gives another excuse for an extra river cruise.

NICE cruising bike Ural guy.

Edited by Canal archive
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

So when we got back from our snowbird escape in Alabama, everyone in NY said it had been a warm and dry winter (relatively speaking) and also a dry spring.  Well – now the April showers are trying to get the whole month's worth in one day!  This is how I feel:

Screenshot2023-04-30at6_38_56PM.png.ffbcfa4353e9a8e141b45b744e9c4db1.png

Luckily my sump pump is keeping up with the inflow, but I've never heard it work so hard and if it quits my basement will look just like this picture...

I know the feeling Jazz, we are ok, the creek is getting high, but it would have to rise 6' almost vertically to get anywhere close to our door. My sister lives along the river up near Ottawa, and is moving stuff to the parents garage (we offered, but they are a bit closer). Luckily we have a self draining basement, so that's one thing we don't have to worry about, but will have to arrange for someone to get to the parents if their sump pump goes. Good luck, it's supposed to ease up today I think.

The sun is out now and things are drying up.  My sump pump is still working, not so labored now.  Only passing showers predicted for the next few days [of course they didn't predict this Biblical deluge either!], then if we make it to Saturday they expect a week of warm sunshine.  Please God let that forecast be right!!!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Canal archive said:

It’s not the only under the sea piece of equipment being put to interesting use. The old sub pens in Bordeaux have been turned into a luminaire experience. Gives another excuse for an extra river cruise.

NICE cruising bike Ural guy.

An old submarine tunnel in Kotor was used for a folk group concert on our Azamara shore excursion last October.

33KotorBaysubmarinetunnel.thumb.jpeg.27ca9ccaa283dbc94619ce201b246780.jpeg

KotorBaysubmarinetunnelconcert.thumb.jpeg.f2b95a578db90ec8567859adf29f969f.jpeg

35KotorBaysubmarinetunnel.thumb.jpeg.745640846349ec5670b9f033793481da.jpeg

36KotorBaysubmarinetunnelconcert.thumb.jpeg.49335bc991bc42ed9ba8134c942f898a.jpeg

37KotorBaysubmarinetunnel.thumb.jpeg.574dd67785d16ac30100bf2ab7d35f55.jpeg

• Like 4

Okay, that is just plain cool. I love tunnels, I am an underground person. U-Bahn, the actual London Underground, the Channel Tunnel, any railway tunnel obviously. When the opportunity arose a few years ago to visit the disused tunnel at Erpel on the Rhine I went and had a look around. Have not been able to see the play there yet though. I will explain - Erpel is on the other side of Remagen and the tunnel used to take the railway line coming from the bridge through Erpel rock (Erpeler Ley) to the small town. A lot of text as this is a cultural/architectural website, but it has a few good photos: https://www.kuladig.de/Objektansicht/O-99394-20140812-9

The tunnel is always closed just opens on a few sporadic days. The play "Die Brücke", which re-enacts the events around the failed bombing of the bridge, returns to this, the original site, in 2025 according to the volunteers in Erpel.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Small beginnings etc. Or is it use it or lose it. 
Great idea. I used to go to a folk club called ‘The bottle in the Wall’ this could be called ‘Where the Subs Were’

If your in London try to go on the old Post Office line.

Edited by Canal archive

2 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

London Post Office Railway it’s on Wiki.

Oh I have seen a short video of that! London Transport offers these guided tours in the Underground. Would love to go.

notamermaid

Turntable ferry, great simple design. Thank you for the link.

Coronation coming up, I am kind of getting excited, you know, as an onlooker in a republic. But I have to work at the weekend so not sure yet how much I will see of it live.

There will surely be some people coming to England from Germany, there are some real Royalists in Germany, not necessarily of the political kind but those that admire the British Royal family.

notamermaid

• Like 1

You just have to look at the family connections of the Windsors, regardless of many opinions we are all one big ‘family’  sometimes the connections are tenuous but other times they are closer then you think. I’ve got to get my huge flag out of the cupboard and remember where I put the bunting.

Your full guide to King Charles III's coronation and key times https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65342840

Just for you Notamermaid enjoy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Your full guide to King Charles III's coronation and key times https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65342840

Just a heads up. The website converts the time from London local time to Eastern Standard Time, six hour difference. It should be five hours as we are on Daylight Saving Time. 

Thanks CPT didn’t think of that there’s an hour difference between the U.K. and Europe but maybe as it attempts to with the USA it does the same with Europe. I really just thought it would be a heads up before the day as after our dear departed Elizabeth how many of us, apart from early TV reruns have seen the real thing.

7 hours ago, gnome12 said:

It isn't run by London Transport, it is run by the Postal Museum. https://www.postalmuseum.org/visit-us/what-to-expect/mail-rail/#

Thanks. Thought they were part of The London Transport offers. They all look great - if you are into dark obscure places like me. 😉

Talking of obscure: not so much anymore, now a tourist attraction, but the bunker, or rather the vault were our government stored money, has been revamped and has a new entrance/visitor centre. It is in Cochem: https://www.bundesbank-bunker.de/en/

notamermaid

35 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Royal Canadian Mounted Police looking very smart heading up the Household Cavalry in the coronation parade.

I must say, you guys definitely know how to do "Pomp and Circumstance".

• Like 1