River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

The ASTA river cruise expo is in Amsterdam from 13 to 16 of March. At least one river cruise ship will be used as a hotel during that time, Amadeus River Cruises offered cabins on the Amadeus Cara on their website. If you are interested in the event: https://www.travelweekly.com/River-Cruising/Insights/What-to-expect-from-ASTA-River-Cruise-Expo

It is says the event is sold out. Still, I guess it must be possible to see the ships in the harbour.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

For those who remember our covid past time on this board of guessing where the photo was taken that @notamermaid started - I was teased for being the only member of the game who had never been to Paris (especially by @jpalbny 🙂. Well - I am finally getting to Paris in April. I have planned an extended land trip there. I actually worry I may spend too much time there but I figure I can do day trips outside of Paris if I get bored. I think I will have 9 days there. I cached in points and miles so the trip will be reasonably priced.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

You're sure making up for lost time! Enjoy every minute of it. 

Any recommended side trips out of town? I am thinking Strasbourg and Bruges. Though I have a river cruise scheduled for end of 2025 with Strasbourg as a stop. I have already done Normandy and Bordeaux. Though I may be tempted to do Normandy again.

I first found miles that worked in March but soon realized a lot of what I wanted to see - April would work out better. So I waited until more flights opened up in April. Definitely looking forward to the trip and no longer being the only person who has never been to Paris!

Edited by Coral

I hope you can see two of my favorite museums, Museum Marmottan Monet, a little off the beaten path but a great museum.  The second one is the Rodin Museum, I would love to see it when all the roses are in bloom.  Have a great time!!!!

Second seating

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Second seating said:

I hope you can see two of my favorite museums, Museum Marmottan Monet, a little off the beaten path but a great museum.  The second one is the Rodin Museum, I would love to see it when all the roses are in bloom.  Have a great time!!!!

Second seating

Museum Marmottan Monet is definitely on my list. I will look up Rodin. I just ticketed my flights yesterday. I appreciate the recommendations!

I want to have a list of things to do and plan it around the weather - so do indoor museums if it looks like rain. 

Someone mentioned I would be too early for flowers at Luxembourg museum. I will be there April 8-18th.

Edited by Coral

Walk the top part of the Champs Elysees slowly towards the ‘Arc’ and take in the atmosphere (ignore the cars). On a Sunday look out for the little markets food or flea, good fun and lots of food tasters. Relax and enjoy don’t rush and go with the flow. Glad you’re now nearly there.

Edited by Canal archive
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Coral said:

Any recommended side trips out of town? I am thinking Strasbourg and Bruges. Though I have a river cruise scheduled for end of 2025 with Strasbourg as a stop. I have already done Normandy and Bordeaux. Though I may be tempted to do Normandy again.

The opportunities are many. Obviously the train system puts much of France within reach for even a day trip from Paris, unless they are on strike. Some thoughts off the top of my head:

We loved Rouen and would go back there any time.

Even Bordeaux is only a 2h train ride away from Paris.

Loire Valley is closer, maybe an hour to reach Tours?

Lyon and Geneva are within striking distance (2-3h).

Any of these could provide a fun day trip if you want to get out of town for a bit.

Closer to Paris, check out the Basilica St-Denis, where the French royalty are interred. And of course, Versailles is a bit out of the city, but easily accessible via the RER.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Walk the top part of the Champs Elysees slowly towards the ‘Arc’ and take in the atmosphere (ignore the cars). On a Sunday look out for the little markets food or flea, good fun and lots of food tasters. Relax and enjoy don’t rush and go with the flow. Glad you’re now nearly there.

I am glad that I am not doing a 3 day trip. So I can actually enjoy the area and "not rush". Thanks!

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

Closer to Paris, check out the Basilica St-Denis, where the French royalty are interred. And of course, Versailles is a bit out of the city, but easily accessible via the RER.

Yep - hopefully a strike won't happen. I was in London about a year ago with the intent to go to Cambridge to visit my grandfather's grave and while the strike was averted, the trains were still not going.

Moving my trip from March to April was so that I could see Versailles fountains/gardens and Giverny. 

I am hoping to do at least 3 days of day trips outside of Paris (not including Versailles.)

Everything just fell into place this week. So will be spending weekend with books. I was supposed to go for my 50th birthday which happened in April of 2020 and was cancelled due to COVID shutdown. So I have the travel books.

My expectations of the trip are low. I love British Columbia and went in October and broke my wrist early on the trip! I have been to the area probably 20x and can't believe I did this but had to return home right away for surgery. So as long as I don't get sick or break any bones - I know I am going to have an amazing time. LOL! Hopefully one doesn't break bones 2x in 6 months.

Edited by Coral

12 hours ago, Coral said:

For those who remember our covid past time on this board of guessing where the photo was taken that @notamermaid started - I was teased for being the only member of the game who had never been to Paris (especially by @jpalbny 🙂. Well - I am finally getting to Paris in April. I have planned an extended land trip there. I actually worry I may spend too much time there but I figure I can do day trips outside of Paris if I get bored. I think I will have 9 days there. I cached in points and miles so the trip will be reasonably priced.

Don't worry Coral, I've never been to Paris either, and have been delaying it as long as possible. Unfortunately, we only have 2 (possibly 3) more cruises to do and then we will be doing France. I'm not a city lover - so dreading being in such a populated area. My husband wants to go, so I really do have to bite the bullet some time. 🙂

• Like 1

My first introduction to Paris traffic was taking a really wrong turning and ending up going round the Arc de Triomphe on our scooters, so we went round twice then carried on to Spain. French traffic is even worse now it’s so heavy it doesn’t move much.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Coral said:

I actually worry I may spend too much time there but I figure I can do day trips outside of Paris if I get bored. I think I will have 9 days there.

That is great, lots of time to spend in the Paris area. There is much to see and remember that there are great trains in France. You can get to large towns in no time. If you do venture out of the Paris agglomeration I recommend Reims. Or go up the Seine to Fontainebleau. Anyway, have a great time.

notamermaid

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Daisi said:

I'm not a city lover - so dreading being in such a populated area.

Not a fan of Paris myself and now prefer smaller cities anyway. The Eiffel Tower is not a good place to be I have been told, I mean, there is police presence for a reason. Not recommending Sacre Coeur hill at all. But all in all if you keep your eyes open and your wits (or gut feeling) about you, you will find it okay. You can always go shopping in Galerie Lafayette or see the Dome Les Invalides. Louvre fabulous in general - but Mona Lisa, seen it briefly, done that... No more. Prefer the Impressionists, but saw them before they were moved to the train station. That is fantastic I have been told. Versailles? Not sure if it is worth it to join the hordes, have never been. The thing to remember is that the Paris you see is much a creation of the 19th century, although there are many older buildings of course. For old feel choose Reims. The Arc de Triomphe is a nice edifice.

Just sitting in a café at the tables in the street is certainly nice. Not sure why that should be special though, just because it is in Paris. 😉

notamermaid

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Daisi said:

Don't worry Coral, I've never been to Paris either, and have been delaying it as long as possible. Unfortunately, we only have 2 (possibly 3) more cruises to do and then we will be doing France. I'm not a city lover - so dreading being in such a populated area. My husband wants to go, so I really do have to bite the bullet some time. 🙂

I am not a big city person either but there are some things in Paris that are on my bucket list and I am excited about that. I also look forward to getting outside of Paris and visiting some smaller places. It is weird that I have been to some "less traveled places" but not Paris. 

12 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Not a fan of Paris myself and now prefer smaller cities anyway. The Eiffel Tower is not a good place to be I have been told, I mean, there is police presence for a reason. Not recommending Sacre Coeur hill at all. But all in all if you keep your eyes open and your wits (or gut feeling) about you, you will find it okay. You can always go shopping in Galerie Lafayette or see the Dome Les Invalides. Louvre fabulous in general - but Mona Lisa, seen it briefly, done that... No more. Prefer the Impressionists, but saw them before they were moved to the train station. That is fantastic I have been told. Versailles? Not sure if it is worth it to join the hordes, have never been. The thing to remember is that the Paris you see is much a creation of the 19th century, although there are many older buildings of course. For old feel choose Reims. The Arc de Triomphe is a nice edifice.

Just sitting in a café at the tables in the street is certainly nice. Not sure why that should be special though, just because it is in Paris. 😉

I think I will tackle Versailles and definitely the Louvre. Though I know there are several other smaller museums that are of interest.

I agree about people watching will be fun and definitely looking forward to the food!

Last year was stressful so I need this vacation 🙂 I appreciate all of the recommendations!

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

The Picasso Museum in Paris is also nice and easy to visit.

Paris has some really great cemeteries too.  You might be too young to feel the need to go see Jim Morrison's grave at Pere Lachaise, but other very famous people are there too.  The Montparnasse Cemetery is really special too.  It is very peaceful and on a nice day would be great to walk around.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, TheKingD said:

You might be too young to feel the need to go see Jim Morrison's grave at Pere Lachaise, but other very famous people are there too. 

I always find it a bit weird visiting cemeteries as a proper tourist, but I too have heard that Pere Lachaise is highly interesting. One of the few places I would like to see in Paris.

It is nice to be at the Seine, perhaps a boat trip may be good. Never did that, went for the art and history and then went again and did some more sightseeing and the large flea market. Musée Rodin was great, I had forgotten I had been there. You jogged my memory @Second seating. :classic_smile:

notamermaid

• Like 1

I highly recommend Chef PJ's foodie tour of Montmartre!

https://chefpjfoodtour.com/products/montmartre-food-tour

Five hours walking around the Montmartre neighborhood and learning how it is still a small village within Paris, chatting with his friends and sampling at a pâtisserie, boucherie, wine shop, fromagerie, and boulangerie then a gourmet meal in the smallest restaurant in Paris (Le Petit Moulin), then another stroll for three desserts and champagne!

[Note:  when we took this tour we booked through EatingEurope, but Chef PJ has now gone off on his own – see the new link above.  EatingEurope still has reviews gushing about Chef PJ, but you won't meet him on their tours anymore or get this unique itinerary.]

• Like 1

Another suggestion, especially if you remember the quirky Citroen 2CV:

https://2cvparistour.com/legendary-paris-tour/

A driver [trust me, you don't want to try to drive a 2CV yourself, especially in Paris!] takes you on a sightseeing joyride around Paris in a 2CV convertible.  Fun!  And you will be the most-photographed person in Paris that day!!!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I highly recommend Chef PJ's foodie tour of Montmartre!

https://chefpjfoodtour.com/products/montmartre-food-tour

Five hours walking around the Montmartre neighborhood and learning how it is still a small village within Paris, chatting with his friends and sampling at a pâtisserie, boucherie, wine shop, fromagerie, and boulangerie then a gourmet meal in the smallest restaurant in Paris (Le Petit Moulin), then another stroll for three desserts and champagne!

[Note:  when we took this tour we booked through EatingEurope, but Chef PJ has now gone off on his own – see the new link above.  EatingEurope still has reviews gushing about Chef PJ, but you won't meet him on their tours anymore or get this unique itinerary.]

Thank you! This looks so good! 

30 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Another suggestion, especially if you remember the quirky Citroen 2CV:

https://2cvparistour.com/legendary-paris-tour/

A driver [trust me, you don't want to try to drive a 2CV yourself, especially in Paris!] takes you on a sightseeing joyride around Paris in a 2CV convertible.  Fun!  And you will be the most-photographed person in Paris that day!!!

Yea - no way I am driving on my own. Did you do this in the daytime or at night? It looks pretty cool at night!

I finally got enough nerve to drive in Canada recently (but then didn't do it due to breaking the wrist).

7 minutes ago, Coral said:

Yea - no way I am driving on my own. Did you do this in the daytime or at night? It looks pretty cool at night!

I finally got enough nerve to drive in Canada recently (but then didn't do it due to breaking the wrist).

We did it in the daytime.  They picked us up right at our river ship (came down on the quay!).  It was a hoot.

• Like 1