River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

On 3/2/2024 at 3:35 PM, CPT Trips said:

Those that appreciate Impressionism might want to make a trip to Philly this summer. 
https://press.philamuseum.org/mary-cassatt-at-work/#:~:text=Mary Cassatt at Work opens,by a fully illustrated catalogue.

In addition they have a good collection of other impressionists. 
https://philamuseum.org/collection/curated/impressionism

If that doesn’t provide your fill of Impressionism, try

https://collection.barnesfoundation.org 

Guess I’m heading down on SEPTA.  Cassatt is one of my favorites.

On 3/12/2024 at 5:33 AM, Canal archive said:

Surfers enjoy a five-star Severn Bore https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-68543486

This happens yearly on the river Severn and evidently it also happens in Bordeaux has anyone ever seen it?

Bit of a surprise passing a river boat!

I was watching a video of one on a Bordeaux cruise.  Might see one when I do mine in June.

Any suggestions for use of OBC on Scenic would be appreciated. Last trip we used it for spa but that will not be possible this trip.  Previously we could not use it in the gift shop or for champagne or upgraded wine.  So what is left to use it?

4 hours ago, flviking said:

Any suggestions for use of OBC on Scenic would be appreciated. Last trip we used it for spa but that will not be possible this trip.  Previously we could not use it in the gift shop or for champagne or upgraded wine.  So what is left to use it?

We had two kinds of OBC.  The small amount in lieu of backpack could be used for anything, but the larger amount that came with our suite was restricted to Spa Services.  And they enforced that strictly: spa services only; not even spa products were covered.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

We had two kinds of OBC.  The small amount in lieu of backpack could be used for anything, but the larger amount that came with our suite was restricted to Spa Services.  And they enforced that strictly: spa services only; not even spa products were covered.

That was our experience.  I could not find any such restriction in their contract which is way to hard to find itself.

I just posted a review of our trip to New Zealand and Australia, including 16 nights on Silversea Silver Whisper.  We saw lots of rivers, but didn't cruise on any this time...

On this cold and unpleasantly windy Palm Sunday I have not ventured out far but have had a look around my direct area to see if the cherry blossoms are coming along. They are not ready yet, it is still magnolias and trees with white blossoms, but there are some early tulips around.

This past week I have had quite a bit of trouble with the pipes in the kitchen. It resulted in me having to wash the dishes in the bathtub. In the end a whole section of pipe needed to be relayed through another hole in the wall. Now order has been restored to my realm, the dust is gone and the sink is "non-gurgling". Dishwasher available again as well. Big smile for the plumber. :classic_smile:

Thankfully, I have been on holiday this week so have lots of time to clear up.

Been thinking of having a short holiday around Lake Constance and in Switzerland this year. It may be cost-prohibitive. Perhaps I will settle for one night in a small hotel near Zurich and stay the other days in Germany. I would like to see the island of Reichenau: https://www.constance-lake-constance.com/experience-explore/excursions/reichenau

notamermaid

• Like 1

I'm off first thing tomorrow, 28 March, to Amsterdam for Viking's Tulips and Windmills cruise. I'm not taking my laptop and I will be 'digital detoxing'* so I won't be around for the rest of this week or all of next.

But, as Arnie said, I'll be back!

*Apart from reading books on my Kindle, and I'm not suggesting this friendly forum is toxic.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, pontac said:

I'm off first thing tomorrow, 28 March, to Amsterdam for Viking's Tulips and Windmills cruise.

Have a great time with the Dutch and on board.

notamermaid

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pontac said:

I'm off first thing tomorrow, 28 March, to Amsterdam for Viking's Tulips and Windmills cruise. I'm not taking my laptop and I will be 'digital detoxing'* so I won't be around for the rest of this week or all of next.

But, as Arnie said, I'll be back!

*Apart from reading books on my Kindle, and I'm not suggesting this friendly forum is toxic.

We sail April 5---try not to trample all the tulips at Keukenhof so there's some left for us to see!

Bon Voyage!

PS--I read that the tulips, etc., are blooming a little early this year, so even though Keukenhof just opened March 21, you should have a great display to check out.

Edited by sharkster77
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Daffodils finished as are the Snowdrops but it looks like the Bluebells are going to be superb.

Here in Massachusetts daffodils are just starting.  We've had a return to temps in the 30's (Fahrenheit of course) and that's slowed things down.

Here is a conundrum for all of you gardening cruisers. My blue bells have been cultivated from my mums last two gardens they are English not French but over the last few years those in the front of the house are now almost all white whilst those in the back are still blue. I’ve searched the internet and asked this question 

many times but have found no clear answer, can anyone help.

Where we are, we had crocuses coming up, and I got several motorcycle rides in the first week of March, which is a never before event.

This is a week ago in Willstatt Germany, across the Rhine from Strasbourg.  I was told spring is 3 weeks early by many people, lucky me.

PXL_20240318_163319373.thumb.jpg.f55180c039d2d5b3a355230bda7d91a0.jpg

And two Black Forest towns, Bad Krozingen

PXL_20240319_120234235.thumb.jpg.c0bbed95ce9aff186d4d74fa187cdd01.jpg

And Gegenbach.

PXL_20240319_075347968.thumb.jpg.bf48115e253596a974c8fae05ef2f870.jpg

I get home to a half foot of snow on the ground, and then another 8" 4 days ago, with temperatures down to 12f.  And now it has melted again, after two days in the 50's and sun.  Very crazy weather.

• Like 1

We've been having to travel up to Ottawa every couple of days lately, and I noticed the tulips are starting to pop up. Canada claims the largest tulip festival in the world, and is commonly ranked 2nd after Keukenhof for best Tulip Festivals. After the warm winter where they weren't able to open the Canal for skating (other than possibly 6 days, and they were usually only 1/2 days), I hope they have a good one.

As ural guy has posted, our winter has been relatively mild, the cold spell in February was not really cold. March has been mild but oddly, after a good start, blooming has been halted a little by a warm spell around the 20 to 24 March not actually being that warm, i.e. more absent than there. Good Friday was kind of a miserable, cool and grey day. Today we are having Sahara dust in the air it seems, it started yesterday in Switzerland (a tint of brown in the grey). As regards weather we have had nicer Easter days in past years. I am being serious about the dust, it is a phenomenon in Europe, meaning it reaches countries North of the Alps. People have taken photographs: https://www.swr3.de/aktuell/nachrichten/saharastaub-deutschland-100.html

notamermaid