Did you miss the boat?

Hawaiidan

Some here may have seen the August NCL stock hit $7 a share  4 months ago and been tempted by the stock holders benefits for such a low price, let alone the potential growth.     If you had take the risk  it was a cool way to as of this morning  to have turned  almost a 230% profit on you money...and  if you were to take a cruise next year  you could see 300-350%....profit counting OBC...      Darn... when Cd's ar paying less than 2-3%     tempting eh!

• 3 weeks later...

AYX: 4 Downgraded Stocks to Avoid (stocknews.com)

Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings (NCLH - Get Rating)

Times are tough for NCLH and fellow cruise line operators. NCLH owns and operates the Norwegian Cruise Line, Regent Seven Seas Cruises, and Oceania Cruises. All in all, NCLH has 28 ships and nearly 60,000 berths.

The POWR Ratings reveal NCLH has an “F” grade in the Buy & Hold Grade component along with a “D” grade in the Industry Rank component. NCLH is ranked fourth of five stocks in the Travel – Cruises category.

The stock has a year-to-date price return of -53.95% along with a three-year price return of -50.84%. The bottom line is it is going to take a long time for the cruise industry to rebound. Even if passengers can board cruises in the first quarter or two of ’21 without fear, NCLH is still likely to struggle.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

Times are tough for NCLH and fellow cruise line operators. NCLH owns and operates the Norwegian Cruise Line, Regent Seven Seas Cruises, and Oceania Cruises. All in all, NCLH has 28 ships and nearly 60,000 berths.

The POWR Ratings reveal NCLH has an “F” grade in the Buy & Hold Grade component along with a “D” grade in the Industry Rank component. NCLH is ranked fourth of five stocks in the Travel – Cruises category.

The stock has a year-to-date price return of -53.95% along with a three-year price return of -50.84%. The bottom line is it is going to take a long time for the cruise industry to rebound. Even if passengers can board cruises in the first quarter or two of ’21 without fear, NCLH is still likely to struggle.

Doubt any cruise will be sailing before June  probably late fall if then

So how does this rating compare to  the other big lines?

On 12/12/2020 at 2:50 PM, basenji56 said:

Boy  maybe folks read that and sold...driving down the price  and maybe other folks recognized the potential.......   Maybe  buying a stock that was so far beaten down and disfavored could be a good think!           What should one do it they acted and were sitting on a  +295% growth  in 7 months... was that  bad?    These stocks are as I said  NOT investments...they are short term opportunities... hold till the  jubilation starts to fade  but buy on  news like you presented.      As I recall Henry Ford did something like that in the late 20's...  crashed his own stock got everybody  in a panic and at rock bottom  re bought almost all the stock back for pennies   ......  

On 12/12/2020 at 3:18 PM, LHT28 said:

Doubt any cruise will be sailing before June  probably late fall if then

So how does this rating compare to  the other big lines?

Kiddo it is meaningless......your not investing.... your riding a emotional wave for the moment  on what people think.   Stocks react to emotion far more than bottom line and reality...   The whole market works that way...

8 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Kiddo it is meaningless......your not investing.... your riding a emotional wave for the moment  on what people think.   Stocks react to emotion far more than bottom line and reality...   The whole market works that way...

Superb explanation. Explains why we don't buy individual stocks. 

13 hours ago, clo said:

Superb explanation. Explains why we don't buy individual stocks. 

Well if you buy funds... they are buying individual stock and charging you in hidden fees.......and suprise suprise they are buying based on  emotional feed back as I described.    If you sit back and listen to the tempo of the pundits and media...   then consider your personal knowledge of the stock   and your year over year observation  you can do rather well.... far exceeding a fund......   Its your call.   

It has become my hobby and quite productive....beats raising roses or making scrap books...... it pays for all my cruises without having to touch day to day resources...Beer money as they say.     

As said before not for everyone... But I sense a lot of folks on this board are into the same  game.

images (9).jpg

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, clo said:

There's nothing hidden about the fees.

They are either front end loaded or back end loaded.  Unless you have a money manager and then you are charged a management fee in order to buy certain funds in that account. I am a former stock broker. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

They are either front end loaded or back end loaded.  Unless you have a money manager and then you are charged a management fee in order to buy certain funds in that account. I am a former stock broker. 

I would think if you are aware of them then they wouldn't be hidden, even if you don't like them. Maybe that's what Flo meant by them not being hidden. 

My BIL thinks his investment company is not charging him any fees and I have tried in vain to explain that none of these companies are operating out of altruism. If they are going to stay in business they're going to make a profit somewhere. Definitely some charge more than others, the key is finding those with good service that charge less. At the job my wife used to work the only option on investing pre tax money was with AIG/Valic. Talk about fees. Transferred all of that elsewhere as soon as she retired. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Maybe a wrong choice "Hidden" ..........   Maybe  ignored, misunderstood or minimized. is a better where the client thinks he understands but does not full grasp...   all sorts of possible fees  a dime here a dime there.... 

Two laws  I live by....  Nothing gets you nothing ..everything   has got a little price....AND  Heat rises...Water Runs Down Hill and there is no free lunch.      A healthy grasp of those concepts  will  be immeasurable to ones life

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

You live by something preached by Thenardier??

Ah yes...... studied  from that thesis at the" University of Hard knocks" some years back

Merry Christmas to you both in Pineapple land..... may your future be brite and filled with hope and joy.....

9 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Merry Christmas to you both in Pineapple land..... may your future be brite and filled with hope and joy.....

Our daughter, Barbara, graduated with a major in Hawaiian Studies at UHMC, and we wanted to make a Christmas card with her in one of her halau outfits (as the only blue-eyed blonde member of her halau), but she wouldn't go for it, so a regular "Mele Kalikimaka" will have to do...

• Like 1