Going Anywhere for Christmas?

Ukigirl

22 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

We did "home alone" for Thanksgiving and I really enjoyed it.      Christmas without seeing family is just too strange to me so I came up with a great plan (at least I think so). 

We are doing a Garage Christmas!   WooHoo!!     We have a large 2+ car garage and I have come up with a plan on decorating the garage and setting up chairs for our 2 adult sons and their girlfriends to visit on Christmas Day.     After they leave I plan on making a nice surf and turf dinner.

My Brother and his Wife will come the following day.   

We have not seen any of them in months.    I'm excited just to see our boys.

Everyone will wear masks and no eating or drinking as my DH is one of those high risk people due to being immuno-compromised, etc etc.   

One  of my 2 daughters has a big house, also with a 2- car  (or larger) garage, and we had our most recent Thanksgiving meet-up and meal in the garage, with the big garage doors totally opened. They used card tables and chairs to set up socially distant tables. We did have a buffet setup for the food in their dining room, but because their house is so spacious, we were able to stay safely away from each other’s immediate family members when serving up the food. 

Normally, my daughter’s in-laws are also present for these holiday gatherings, but this year, she had all her folks over for Thanksgiving lunch, and the in-laws ( and nephew and nieces) went to the same house for dinner, with the same garage setup. 

Thank heavens, no one got sick. No hugging, etc. but it was so nice to see my daughters and their families all in one place ( but all spread out, lol.) 

We all Iive  in the same city, so there was no traveling other than driving in our cars. 

I don’t know yet what our Christmas plans will be, though. If we don’t have a meal, I’m good with just dropping off their presents if that’s what is decided.

Edited by sushitex

We aren't going anywhere for Christmas or New Years..............or for 3 months after!!!! We will FaceTime with the family (one son and family in Atlanta and other son and his girlfriend are in their motorhome near Cabo San Lucas). My wife will prepare a wonderful Christmas dinner (as always) of a prime rib roast, lots of tasty side dishes and of course a yummy dessert. Our tiny condo is sparsely decorated with a 3' Christmas tree and a few table top items and a wreath on the door............and a beautiful view of the ocean and beach. We are truly blessed!!!!!

The whole immediate family will be coming to our house for Christmas.  We were all together for Thanksgiving and  in July and no one got sick.  

The grown kids and grands all quarantine for 10 days prior. No eating in or outside restaurants, use stores with grocery pick up, no seeing of other friends and relatives.  2 do have to work in public but they wear masks, eat alone in their offices.  They “live” at our house while visiting and we don’t go out anywhere. We have plenty of room for everyone. (We did rent a movie theater for Thanksgiving just for our family.) There are 15 of us including a newborn and a child with NF1 so we need to be careful. Travel by car is max of 7 hours. We are blessed with great kids and spouses who will actually do this for us without exception.

I have cancer, diagnosed in October, that is rare with a uncertain prognosis.  Although I’m having immunotherapy, my future in unknown.  There may not be more Christmas’s.  Most certainly not many more.  They want to see me and spend time with me and I want to see them. They will be as careful as they can be before they come. It’s worth the risk to all of us.  We are all praying no one gets sick.  God is in control, He expects us to do the best we can and leave the rest up to Him.

If you are with family or not, everyone have a Merry Christmas!

Edited by cruiselvr04
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

The whole immediate family will be coming to our house for Christmas.  We were all together for Thanksgiving and  in July and no one got sick.  

The grown kids and grands all quarantine for 10 days prior. No eating in or outside restaurants, use stores with grocery pick up, no seeing of other friends and relatives.  2 do have to work in public but they wear masks, eat alone in their offices.  They “live” at our house while visiting and we don’t go out anywhere. We have plenty of room for everyone. (We did rent a movie theater for Thanksgiving just for our family.) There are 15 of us including a newborn and a child with NF1 so we need to be careful. Travel by car is max of 7 hours. We are blessed with great kids and spouses who will actually do this for us without exception.

I have cancer, diagnosed in October, that is rare with a uncertain prognosis.  Although I’m having immunotherapy, my future in unknown.  There may not be more Christmas’s.  Most certainly not many more.  They want to see me and spend time with me and I want to see them. They will be as careful as they can be before they come. It’s worth the risk to all of us.  We are all praying no one gets sick.  God is in control, He expects us to do the best we can and leave the rest up to Him.

If you are with family or not, everyone have a Merry Christmas!

May you and your wonderful, caring family have a beautiful Christmas. Prayers for your full recovery from Cancer - yes God is in control and we are stronger than the virus!!!!!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 12/10/2020 at 9:09 AM, jean87510 said:

We just got back from 5 days, 4 nights in Bahamas/Spanish wells and spent one day in Deerfield beach.  A little cold but it was very nice.  Everyone was wearing masks except when eating or on beach.  I didn't see a lot of crowds.  Both places were ghost towns.  It was a PIA with coordinating the bahamas health visa, covid test and flight but all went well.  

jean87510 ...

Fascinated that you found "my" Spanish Wells.  First and only trip?

We have a place there, my mother was from there, I spent months every year there when school was out, and months when we can nowadays.

Nyloc in Nassau.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nyloc said:

jean87510 ...

Fascinated that you found "my" Spanish Wells.  First and only trip?

We have a place there, my mother was from there, I spent months every year there when school was out, and months when we can nowadays.

Nyloc in Nassau.

lol.  1st time.  We were supposed to be in Eleuthera but they imposed a curfew a few days before we were supposed to be there.  I am so glad we switched.  What a delightful place!  We rode bikes everywhere or walked. Best Christmas decorations anywhere!

4 hours ago, jean87510 said:

lol.  1st time.  We were supposed to be in Eleuthera but they imposed a curfew a few days before we were supposed to be there.  I am so glad we switched.  What a delightful place!  We rode bikes everywhere or walked. Best Christmas decorations anywhere!

Yup ... 

32C33A5A-7177-45E3-BC0A-D1D0A47D6B24_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.dc19fe630756f16b60dcf248be2ff14f.jpeg

AKA Santa's Village.

And my friend Vicki's place ... you might guess she love's blue!

ED6055FE-E113-4665-95B0-7CEF03EFEA1A_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.9fd1a0c6328648bb81f3bc46deadfee2.jpeg

Crystal cruises' Serenity is supposed to stop there Mondays over the summer, but there is strong opposition to "the invasion".

Happy travels ...

Nyloc in Nassau ... and sometimes Spanish Wells!

• Like 1